Toy Story 2 Woody's Round Up Radio

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was hired to build this Woody’s Roundup radio that is seen briefly in Toy Story 2. This was a ton of fun to capture the look of some of the old school materials including Bakelite knobs, chrome Woody medallion, and vintage speaker fabric. Of course I made a second one to keep. He’s the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the Wild West!

IMG_4219.jpeg
icm_fullxfull.287554008_brq5bjgpdt4owgwokgos.png
IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg

I love it!

I like your solution for the front plate but what do you think the material was meant to be in the film? It almost has a metal or even a mother of pearl quality to it. Hard to pin down.
1604274178429.png

I love it!

I like your solution for the front plate but what do you think the material was meant to be in the film? It almost has a metal or even a mother of pearl quality to it. Hard to pin down.View attachment 1364170
Seeing how this was a cartoon, I would say the only way is to idealize it. This came out great and if it were a kit, I'd buy one

I strared at that for a good long time. I believe it was intended to be a thin embosses metal, like aluminum. In the end, for the budget I was not going to be able to pull that so. So, I've seen other children's products like this with printed graphic panels so it seemed like an authentic approach.

I did, interestingly, find the original 1950s Hopalong Cassidy radio that inspired the Pixar designers!
Arvin_441-T_red.jpg

Last edited:
I strared at that for a good long time. I believe it was intended to be a thin embosses metal, like aluminum. In the end, for the budget I was not going to be able to pull that so. So, I've seen other children's products like this with printed graphic panels so it seemed like an authentic approach.

I did, interestingly, find the original 1950s Hopalong Cassidy radio that inspired the Pixar designers!
View attachment 1364428
Oh wow! That totally makes sense now! Too cool.

I was hired to build this Woody’s Roundup radio that is seen briefly in Toy Story 2. This was a ton of fun to capture the look of some of the old school materials including Bakelite knobs, chrome Woody medallion, and vintage speaker fabric. Of course I made a second one to keep. He’s the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the Wild West!

View attachment 1363553View attachment 1363552View attachment 1363556View attachment 1363555View attachment 1363557
Hey! I know this is old by now but would you make another one and how much would it cost me? I’ve been looking for one for a while!!

Hi Valor, may I say how incredible these merch of Woody's Round Up! I'm so thrilled to see your designs, they're all outstanding, even my baby brother loves 'em all. May I ask where I can purchase the boot and the one with the bubble?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back