Toy Story 2 Woody's Round Up Radio

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was hired to build this Woody’s Roundup radio that is seen briefly in Toy Story 2. This was a ton of fun to capture the look of some of the old school materials including Bakelite knobs, chrome Woody medallion, and vintage speaker fabric. Of course I made a second one to keep. He’s the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the Wild West!

IMG_4219.jpeg
icm_fullxfull.287554008_brq5bjgpdt4owgwokgos.png
IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love it!

I like your solution for the front plate but what do you think the material was meant to be in the film? It almost has a metal or even a mother of pearl quality to it. Hard to pin down.
1604274178429.png

kevin926

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love it!

I like your solution for the front plate but what do you think the material was meant to be in the film? It almost has a metal or even a mother of pearl quality to it. Hard to pin down. View attachment 1364170
Seeing how this was a cartoon, I would say the only way is to idealize it. This came out great and if it were a kit, I'd buy one

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I strared at that for a good long time. I believe it was intended to be a thin embosses metal, like aluminum. In the end, for the budget I was not going to be able to pull that so. So, I've seen other children's products like this with printed graphic panels so it seemed like an authentic approach.

I did, interestingly, find the original 1950s Hopalong Cassidy radio that inspired the Pixar designers!
Arvin_441-T_red.jpg

Last edited:

Lightning

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I did, interestingly, find the original 1950s Hopalong Cassidy radio that inspired the Pixar designers!

Did you know about the existence of the Hopalong Cassidy radio beforehand, or did you just happen upon it during your research?

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I strared at that for a good long time. I believe it was intended to be a thin embosses metal, like aluminum. In the end, for the budget I was not going to be able to pull that so. So, I've seen other children's products like this with printed graphic panels so it seemed like an authentic approach.

View attachment 1364428
Oh wow! That totally makes sense now! Too cool.

liljo23

I was hired to build this Woody’s Roundup radio that is seen briefly in Toy Story 2. This was a ton of fun to capture the look of some of the old school materials including Bakelite knobs, chrome Woody medallion, and vintage speaker fabric. Of course I made a second one to keep. He’s the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the Wild West!

View attachment 1363553 View attachment 1363552 View attachment 1363556 View attachment 1363555 View attachment 1363557
Hey! I know this is old by now but would you make another one and how much would it cost me? I’ve been looking for one for a while!!

msmmirziana

Hi Valor, may I say how incredible these merch of Woody's Round Up! I'm so thrilled to see your designs, they're all outstanding, even my baby brother loves 'em all. May I ask where I can purchase the boot and the one with the bubble?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.