Toy store - Marvel/DC statues

simpletoystore

hi,
my name is Daniel and i'm the owner of a small town toy store that sells 1\6 and 1\4 action figures.

i was thinking of ordering from an art studio that specializes in statues and order 5 Marvel and DC figures in 1:1 scale and locate them in the store.
the items are pieces of art and produced only once, and are NOT for sale.

my question is - am i allowed to make these pieces and put them in my store, or am i obligated to ask for permission and some sort of approval?

thank you,
daniel.

hi,
my name is Daniel and i'm the owner of a small town toy store that sells 1\6 and 1\4 action figures.

i was thinking of ordering from an art studio that specializes in statues and order 5 Marvel and DC figures in 1:1 scale and locate them in the store.
the items are pieces of art and produced only once, and are NOT for sale.

my question is - am i allowed to make these pieces and put them in my store, or am i obligated to ask for permission and some sort of approval?

thank you,
daniel.

You can risk it and take a chance but you could still get in trouble. Just because you are not profiting from them directly, that is not an excuse that will stand. I have seen Studios like Disney crack down on Dr offices or pre-schools who featured their characters in a mural. They were not profiting from the artwork but it was copyrighted material illegally used in a business location. So there is no cut and dry answer here. You will only get away with it if you fly under the radar. If the Studios find out, they are 100% in the right to send a C&D for you to remove them.

I work at an office products store and we can not display ANY movie for public display without permission. Your items are static, but the same rule applies.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back