Toy Glue Question.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Wrex79

First off... I'm new here and I really hope I posted this thread in the right area?

Moving on. Hello to all, I have visited the site for some time now and must say, you all that do customs here are freaken awesome! My question to any moders out there is... Do any of you know what type of glue companies like NECA or Mcfarlan uses to stick the tougher plastic and or rubber etras onto their toys. Example... on the NECA Predator toys, what type of glue is used to adhear the different pads or other odds and ends to the toy itself? I really want to get hardcore into making and adding my own arm, shoulder and over all body pads to custom Preds and other toys but need a glue or something that I know will hold up and not leave any type of white film behind like glues like crazy clue does. I want to ba as neat and clean as I can be and have a great quality piece come out of it. ANY help would be great guys. THANKS.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Wrex79

I guess no one knows? I have tried searching on the NET all over and can not find any info. If anyone can help out, that would be great. Thanks.

Sabot

I think the type of glue used be toy companies is not readily available for normal consumer purchase. If you go to a hobby shop, specifically one that caters to the miniature war gaming community, you'll be able to find what you're looking for. If you're looking for a brand name, try googling Zap A Gap. Also, look into Zip Kicker, which is an accelerator.

I know you expressed concerns about a white film that occurs after gluing, well I have good news and bad news. The Bad news is that there is no type of Cyanoacrylate glue that will never leave a white film. The good news is that there are ways to prevent this. First, if you paint the piece after you glue it, you can cover over it. Second, keep it exposed to circulating air. The white film is caused by the fumes being released and effecting the plastic. Third, and most importantly, control the amount of glue you use. You only need a small amount to seal a joint. I usually paint a small amount of glue on the surfaces I'm joining with a bent paper clip or old hobby knife blade. The less glue that is there, the lower the chance of getting that white film. The bond is also stronger, believe it or not. No custom figure will be as sturdy as one from the factory though, that's just the nature of the beast since we don't have all the manufacturing processes available that they do.

Hope this was helpful!

deepincision

Don't know if the poster is still viewing this topic, but it probably should've gone into the Predator Toys, Figures and Statues forum to get more views/replies.

But anyway, as Sabot said Zap A Gap and most decent quality superglues will do fine. Definitely the less glue you use the better, but I've also found that putting a freshly glued part near an open window (on dry days of course) or in front of an indoor fan will help to blow away the fumes and stop that white dust from forming.

Happy modding!