Totokia to Gaffi Build

PHArchivist

Master Member
A good number of years ago, Tom Spina worked with a couple of guys to create a Totokia as close as possible to the hero version in ANH.

This is considering that each totokia from FijiShop was unique, with variances.

Tom managed to talk some crazy idiot to build in a bend in the handle oh his own original totokia, coat the handle with sculping material (and rebuild the pommel at the same time) and etch 1,500 little tear drops in the grip.

After this sucker () was finished with his part of the project, Tom sent the modified totokia to another partner for castings, and offered a small run in the JY.

******, this was back in 2006 and 2007! :confused

I wound up with two of these, and they have sat ever since.

Finally, I busted one out last week to build it up.

After sanding the minimal seam, I attached a length of PVC over the dowl embedded in the resin pommel. I filled my PVC attachment with more resin to lock it in place and to add solidity to the mace end.

Tonight, I used some Apoxie Sculpt to blend the pineapple (a separate piece due to the casting process) with the shaft. This does a copule of things - it gets the weapon looking much more like the real deal, and it helps adhere the pineapple (though there is already a cemented dowl pin in there).

I'll finish the mace with styrene, and will paint it all up perhaps this weekend.

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-001.jpg-81698d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-003.jpg-81700d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-002.jpg-81699d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-007.jpg-81704d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-005.jpg-81702d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-004.jpg-81701d1327034725

totokia-gaffi-build-gs-008.jpg-81705d1327034725

Last edited:
TK 4702 - your Raider looks outstanding! Great work.

Rob (PHarchivist) was part of a great project we did a while back replicating the totokia portion of the gaffi. We still have the molds for that and can make copies in white resin.

This is ONLY the fijian weapon portion, you'd need to make your own "metal" end.

For more information, visit this page: Fijian Totokia warclub replica casting for your Sandperson aka Tusken Raider costume needs

Hope that is some help to you!

best,
Tom

Looks good!

I still have the real Totokia I got from you (Tom) years ago. It still hasn't split either. I have to redo the mace end. I'm going to try and find a metal spike (mine was wood) and someone to weld some more accurately shaped blades onto it.

I wanted to build this costume a little while ago, but never got around to it. However now I have some Ideas and might just start this build, including the costume. Great job!

Looks good!

I still have the real Totokia I got from you (Tom) years ago. It still hasn't split either. I have to redo the mace end. I'm going to try and find a metal spike (mine was wood) and someone to weld some more accurately shaped blades onto it.

Those were great times... we must've gone through a few dozen real, hand crafted fijian clubs during those group-buys. Good to hear you've still got it :)

Tom

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back