Totally by the seat of my pants: Fury Road War Rig build

glorbes

It's been a long time since I attempted one of my "on the fly" styrene builds. But, Fury Road revved my engine something fierce, and I decided I wanted to take a crack at the War Rig in 1:18 scale (roughly). Now, I tend not to be too worried about extreme accuracy, so keep that in the back of your mind. I admire those who do, but if I got bogged down in the details of perfect internal scale, I would never build a thing. So, with that in mind, here's my process/progress thus far:

Sketch:
DSCF4472_zpszdw8vo8b.jpg

Frame and basic structure:
war_rig_cab_zpskii3z9mo.jpg

Starting to add some detail:
war_rig_5_zpsiqzenfkc.jpg

war_rig_7_zpswz2ilowx.jpg

war_rig_6_zps6b28a3zf.jpg

Engine intakes are not done...just placed to get a feel for how things will look:
war_rig_8_zpsiedfhm44.jpg

war_rig_9_zpsev8prdkc.jpg

war_rig_10_zpshd9gwfnr.jpg

I approach these builds imagining what Kenner would produce for a toy, but beefed up a bit. The doors are all hinged and what-not, and I will indeed be building the tanker of "mother's milk" and the guzzoline sphere-thing. This has been a blast thus far, and I cannot wait to get into the nitty gritty detailing and the weathered paint job. It'll be a big sucker, as the chassis is 15" long for this section. I'll have to make a special shelf for display.

For my 2 cents, those tire look good. Years ago I help with a group scratch build of an MRAP for Mcfarlane military figures, for a buddies son. Part of my contribution was working on tires. I wraped thin styrene around pvc pipe section, then cut and filed the tread pattern ( mind numbing ). If I every get to finish my Aliens APC, I'll try you method for a master tire for molding.

Keep up the scratch'n, looking forward to seeing the completed "RV"

I wouldn't be surprised if you've shared this same topic over at the madmaxfilms.com discussion boards (but then again, I don't know how friendly they are over there). But I'm definitely enjoying seeing this monster being built. :)

CB, maybe I'll check out that board. I've probably stumbled upon there site while doing image searches, but didn't really get into it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. And while the work on the tires looks tedious, it was maybe a few hours of work all together. I actually hunted for toys with tires in the right scale, but once I thought of this approach, I knew I could get exactly what I wanted from the materials had on hand.

Furiosa's War Rig: Phase 1
If you're wondering what Phase 2 is, it will be the big-ass tanker that the War Rig pulls in Fury Road.
Anyway, I will still make some more adjustments and add more detail to this part once I have the film on Blu Ray (TUESDAY!!!), but I'm calling this "done" for now.
war_rig_23_zpso7izmatm.jpg

war_rig_22_zps97xjgkck.jpg

war_rig_24_zpsod8mbhyd.jpg

war_rig_25_zpsdntpm7tb.jpg

war_rig_26_zpssinyrg3z.jpg

war_rig_28_zpsj9nrwxuj.jpg

war_rig_27_zps4u6cr4rd.jpg

war_rig_29_zpsz2olulfa.jpg

war_rig_30_zpspyfyocsc.jpg

war_rig_31_zpsa0n6svfb.jpg

war_rig_32_zpsfa7kzxit.jpg

war_rig_33_zps7xtbgdv0.jpg

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking!

What a great build! Im just curious, what Material is that made of? White cardboard or is that PVC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back