Totall Recall props, vehicles and locations

Noeland

Master Member
Just watched Total Recall again, and I was struck with the cool shooting locations, and some of the props, and the vehicles looked down right Blade Runner-esque. And how hot was Sharon Stone in this? Just gorgeous.

I was wondering if any one knows of a good source of information for the film.

Thanks in advance.
Njc--------------

There was a special edition DVD put out a while ago.

I know most of the exteriors on Earth were actually shot in Mexico City ... the military academy, or something. The commentary has that info.

Good production values, good movie.

-Mike

And the rest of the movie was shot on Mars.... duh.

(best Arnold impression... "I've got to get back to mars..alghaalgh.)

-Ash

Originally posted by Ash@Apr 1 2006, 07:29 PM

(best Arnold impression... "I've got to get back to mars..alghaalgh.)

-Ash
[snapback]1217853[/snapback]​

That would be, "Get your ass to mars." Or, (Get your oss to moz...alghaalgh.)

Good flick. :p

I wrote the Cinefex article (#48 I believe) for Total Recall wayyyy back in 1990 and I visited the FX house (Dreamquest Images) in Simi Valley, CA during production. I have seen almost nothing on available relicas or screen used Total Recall props, wardrobe, or FX miniatures over the years with the exception of some of the Mars mining facility buildings that went up on eBay a few years ago.

I did see the miniature one of the cars of the passenger train Arnold rode in up for auction on eBay as well.

You should have seen that Martian complex surface miniature laid out on that soundstage in person, in the pre CGI days- it was spectacular.

I once stumbled upon a website of some prop designer who did the video phone, tracking device, and holographic projection watch from the movie. There was all sorts of info and even a few schematics as I recall. I wish I bookmarked it. Maybe someone else here has the info.

Great Movie..

Everything except the Special effects was shot in Mexico City.

Verhooven was facinated with the "New Brutalism" Architecture that was there.

Post any links you can find as I would like to read up on one of my favorite Movies.

hahahahaha ofcoarse.

Mexico City? I will have to look into that more. Thanks. I may track down the special edition.

Njc----------------------

There was a great one off (starlog produced, i believe) magazine out before
the movie's release - which i have stowed away. I remember it had some great
production stills.

but the still that always sticks in my mind is the one of verhoeven and schwarzenegger
at the 'Mars Burger' stand staring at an extra's rather fetching rear end.

I think premiere printed that one quite big. (he - they were onto A.S. even then.)

Great movie and some wonderful props.

2 of the best ones are the holowatch and the modified mini uzi.
uzi.jpg

holowatch.jpg

I am currently drawing up a blueprint for the addon parts for the microuzi, most likely going to build those up the same way i did the Orbo pistol from Witch Hunter Robin (layers of plastic).

The holowatch was made by Ed Kline, it is a very well made prop. I spoke to Ed about it and he is looking in his archives to see if he has additional pictures and info on it for me, when i have more info, i am going to draw it up in Rhino3D and see if i can have it machined out of aluminium. Ed is a true aluminium wizard and made some amazing props. His total recall work and other props he did can be seen on his site: KlineFX

The movie also had a Mac 10 or 11 with just a addon piece put in front of the barrel, Michael Ironsode was carrying one of those.
mac11.jpg

And the gun we also see in planet of the apes (burton's version) was in there, forgot what the gun's make and model was.

There isn't too much out there for sale. Moviebits has some set pieces and mars money and screenused.com has a package which has 2 pieces of wardrobe and an incomplete uzi (missing the rear piece). I asked them if they would be willing to sell the uzi seprately, but they didn't want to and $6000 for the clothes and gun is too rich for my blood.

Marc

Marc, I love that Micro-Uzi. I picked up an airsoft on E-Bay a month ago with the same plans for it as you, but aside from removing the fold out stock haven't gotten around to actually starting to build the add-ons.

Good luck with it, and if you ever want to compare notes let me know.

Shawn

hononary mention of the 3rd boob prop.

but, if there is something going on with the pistol later, i would love to be kept in the loop for it. total recall is one of my favorite movies. i remember watching some show on special fx a long long time ago, and they mentioned they needed a hydrolic lift to carry up that big head that arnold is wearing as a disguise on mars. it was on of the first times that i realized "props arent built functional". i was also pretty young at the time too, if it helps balance out the doofus/obvious scale.

very very cool movie. the tracking device looks pretty easy to do, as well as the "grabber". those little snake arms are availible at almost any dollar or 99 cent store.

chris

Cool, thanks for those photos. I've also wanted to mode out an uzi for years now. And how cool is Kline props website? Thanks for that link I enjoyed the website quite a bit.

Njc-------------------------------

worked a bit more on a CAD pic of the watch i am going to use when i am asking Ed more questions and to get a feeling for al the parts.

watch.jpg

Yeah, I got one of the Martian soldier's helmets off eBay. A good end snipe, so I got it for 13 bucks, plus free shipping. The package arrived, the helmet was great, and then I looked at the guy's shipping amount on the box. It cost him 13.85 to send it. So, in the end, it's quite like getting something free.

Originally posted by gnrlotto@Apr 3 2006, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I got one of the Martian soldier's helmets off eBay.  A good end snipe, so I got it for 13 bucks, plus free shipping.  The package arrived, the helmet was great, and then I looked at the guy's shipping amount on the box.  It cost him 13.85 to send it.  So, in the end, it's quite like getting something free.
[snapback]1218791[/snapback]​

Hello,

How could I as a Paul Verhoeven Fan miss this :eek
Would love to see a piture of that helmet.

I had a box full of miniature part from Total recall but had made a deal with Moviebits. He has them up for sale. (I did also sell some to rpf-ers)

Just keept some good pieces for myself. Am still planning to have them framed.
If you want photo's just ask. I also made a small Johnny cab model a long time ago :lol Have to look that one up.

He why is there not yet a free paper prop of the marsian money? They seem to be around often on Ebay since Topps used to give them away.

Greetings,

BasD

Isn't RPFer "8-perf" a veteran of that flick? He offered a miniature in the JY a few months ago... Pretty sure anyway.

Originally posted by Pauleysolo@Apr 2 2006, 01:06 PM
I wrote the Cinefex article (#48 I believe) for Total Recall wayyyy back in 1990 and I visited the FX house (Dreamquest Images) in Simi Valley, CA during production.  I have seen almost nothing on available relicas or screen used  Total Recall props, wardrobe, or  FX miniatures over the years with the exception of some of the Mars mining facility buildings that went up on eBay a few years ago.

I did see the miniature one of the cars of the passenger train Arnold rode in up for auction on eBay as well.

You should have seen that Martian complex surface miniature laid out on that soundstage in person, in the pre CGI days- it was spectacular.
[snapback]1217872[/snapback]​

Cool. I think I still have that issue around. (Yeah, I keep mine, I don't sell 'em like everyone else... :p) Brings back a lot of memories. :)

The Topps money is non-canon, while the real-looking stuff on eBay may be reproductions.

Also, I imagine it's difficult to get a good digital image of something that's black-on-red, and have the green seal print out opaque.

I'll see if I can't post some caps this afternoon.

-Mike

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back