TOS Trek Phaser Colors (Hero 1 & 3)

wannab

Sr Member
I'm starting my two AA/DS phaser upgrade projects. The only info holding me up is paint colors. Specifically looking for the most current info for the paint colors & brands for these two Trek phasers.

Hero 1
FinneyLarge.jpg

Hero 3 (pic credit herocomm.com will remove if desired)
Phaser-hero 3.jpg

Last edited:
I think RPF member Robn1 used a dark shadow grey. Here's a link to his phaser thread and I think he mentions in post #475

Thats one heck of a scratch build he had there!
Thanks! I used car paints custom mixed. The P1 is just dark gray, black and white mixed. The P2 was matched to Krylon Shadow Gray. The handle color has the least metal flake of any similar color I could find, and it doesn't stand out much in person.

There are Tamiya sprays that come close to the grays and have a great matte finish, but not as durable as the car paints. But still better than the Krylon and Zynolyte primer that's been recommended in the past.

Yes, master styrene skills robn1!

RE: paints...

I'm surprised no one has suggested a Pantone color swatch (or similar) for these? It would eliminate so much headache - you could easily mix your own or have it mixed with proper numbers.

What Tamiya colors? What Krylon? Which Zynolyte primer?
If I can get a hold of the current proper paints in their various forms, I could make up a pallet to match with a Pantone chart. Then I could mix up whatever type of paint I prefer to use. I'd present the results and if the majority agrees I'd publish the Pantone numbers all over the place so the next frustrated prop person will (at least) be able to have some fairly solid starting point.

It's amazing to me that this isn't common practice. Finding the proper colors has kept me from finishing sooo many projects. Hell just grabbing FREE color charts from various hardware stores & paint shops to hold up against (quality fan finished or the original) pieces and then snapping a pic would be a starting point.

/rant lol

Thanks! I used car paints custom mixed. The P1 is just dark gray, black and white mixed. The P2 was matched to Krylon Shadow Gray. The handle color has the least metal flake of any similar color I could find, and it doesn't stand out much in person.

There are Tamiya sprays that come close to the grays and have a great matte finish, but not as durable as the car paints. But still better than the Krylon and Zynolyte primer that's been recommended in the past.

So the P2 body was matched to this?
Krylon Shadow Gray - but surely not this - Krylon Shadow Gray
Curious what references were used in matching - photos, prop(s)?

As far as the Duplicolor Dark Shadow Gray, I do like the shade/color but I'd have to strip out most of the flake. I'd decant it, then likely be able to strain out the bulk of the flake if I can find a filter material fine enough.

The P1 in the first pic (hero1) I posted is def not black, any color match for that one floating around? The P2 body and handle on the (hero 1) may be different as well.

Last edited:
Ultimately I plan on having the three hero color variation phasers, but I'll get to the "black & white" version later.

I think (not positive) the hero 1 and hero 2 have the same color scheme - so no bronzish shade on the handle and not a black P1. (pic credit herocomm.com will remove if desired)
Phaser-hero%202.jpg

Last edited:
Hero 3 and 4 look to like each other paint wise. Maybe a bit different P2 body color-wise?

(pic credit herocomm.com will remove if desired)
Phaser-hero%204.jpg

Phaser-hero%203.jpg

So the P2 body was matched to this?
Krylon Shadow Gray
Yes that one, the enamel. I haven't seen the lacquer version so I don't know if it's the same.

You can't go by the colors as they appear in screen caps because they're all over the place color wise. Even the photos of GJ's hero aren't consistent. But it's assumed that the four heroes (as well as the mids) were all painted the same, bluegray P2, dark gray P1, and dark bronze handle. John Long has suggested Krylon Shadow Gray, Zynolyte Dark Gray Primer, and Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic as the best matches available out of a can. But that was maybe 15 years ago or more.

A totally accurate match is impossible. No one knows what paints were used originally, brand, color etc. Even eyeballing an original doesn't help much because age, dirt etc. has altered the colors. John Long's color suggestions are generally accepted because when he examined the GJ he noticed chips and cracks in the paint that revealed the more true colors underneath ( just like the restoration team noticed on the Enterprise model), so I go with it. I just prefer a better quality paint.

Basically it's whatever looks right to you.

Yes, master styrene skills robn1!

RE: paints...

I'm surprised no one has suggested a Pantone color swatch (or similar) for these? It would eliminate so much headache - you could easily mix your own or have it mixed with proper numbers.

What Tamiya colors? What Krylon? Which Zynolyte primer?
If I can get a hold of the current proper paints in their various forms, I could make up a pallet to match with a Pantone chart. Then I could mix up whatever type of paint I prefer to use. I'd present the results and if the majority agrees I'd publish the Pantone numbers all over the place so the next frustrated prop person will (at least) be able to have some fairly solid starting point.

It's amazing to me that this isn't common practice. Finding the proper colors has kept me from finishing sooo many projects. Hell just grabbing FREE color charts from various hardware stores & paint shops to hold up against (quality fan finished or the original) pieces and then snapping a pic would be a starting point.

/rant lol
Sorry, I missed this post. Someone on The Trek Prop Zone has done a Pantone match to an original mid phaser, but those colors may have shifted over time so it's not really a good reference. But if anyone wants to match an original as it appears today the Pantone numbers are there.

The paint colors are:
Krylon Shadow Gray 1604
Zynolyte Dark Gray General Purpose Primer Z8070
Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic

Thanks! I really appreciate the help on this!

I'm going to gather the recommended paints and make a pallet so I can give them PMS numbers, then if folks want to mix their own they can if they want.

I think RPF member Robn1 used a dark shadow grey. Here's a link to his phaser thread and I think he mentions in post #475
wannab, I'm doing a similar project! Have you considered TS-32 Haze Grey for the P2 body? I was also considering using Tamiya's TS-82 Black Rubber topped with gloss or semi-gloss clear for the P1--going for that not quite black look. As near as I can tell, the P2 grip was black over bronze metal. My thought was to replicate that with thinned black over a bronze base.

Seeing those colors, it strikes me that the phasers are colored like 1960s camera equipment. It brings back memories of watching my Dad check his camera equipment before a business trip.

David.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back