TOS Saurian Brandy bottle project help please

ranallace

ok guys - i bought this bottle on ebay at a killer price , intended to be a birthday gift for my brother ( march 11 ) ..

George Dickel Whiskey Liquor Decanter Bottle Bar Decor Approx 14 3 4" Tall | eBay

i need information on correct colors for paint , disassembly of the bottle , leather piece removal, ect , for bottle cleaning and label removal - i plan to fill it with his favorite , capt. morgans private stock , so he can enjoy it as well, LOL - any tips , hints ect to make this happen for my brother would be most appreciated

Just do a search for TOS BRANDY BOTTLE.
I just did and there is a lot available on this topic.
You will see numerous build threads on the bottle.
It would be best to read them all and see what others had used, view their photos, and make a decision what looks best to you.
Most people don't have a "list" compiled to just send you and most likely will have to search all around themselves to compile it.
So just read it all as I'm sure it will help. Also Alan Castillo's thread points out some great details often overlooked on the prop. Well worth reading his ;)

Good luck and I'll subscribe to the thread to watch the progress. :)

this - LOL

448970130_tp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Just do a search for TOS BRANDY BOTTLE.
I just did and there is a lot available on this topic.
You will see numerous build threads on the bottle.
It would be best to read them all and see what others had used, view their photos, and make a decision what looks best to you.
Most people don't have a "list" compiled to just send you and most likely will have to search all around themselves to compile it.
So just read it all as I'm sure it will help. Also Alan Castillo's thread points out some great details often overlooked on the prop. Well worth reading his ;)

Good luck and I'll subscribe to the thread to watch the progress. :)

thanks man - been burning up the search feature for last few hours -but cant seem to find any info on how it comes apart - i dont have the bottle in hand yet , just trying to get a head start , supplies assembled , ready to go for its arrival- the unit i purchased seems complete and in good shape , and right color glass

IVE NEVER PAINTED ON LEATHER BEFORE - kinda nervous about that - does it need to be sealed after painting , like with crystal clear ?? and prep to leather before painting ??

end goal here -

608388158_tp.jpg

*** NOTE - NON OF THESE ARE MY PICTURES - THEY WERE TAKEN FROM A YAHOO PHOTO SEARCH

Can you possibly leave the leather on and clean the bottle?
You could soak the whole bottle, leather and all. Once the dirt is off, and if any label is left, use a little goo gone to take the rest of the decal off.
Then let the whole thing dry. The leather should dry out nicely. Then you could stain the leather carefully if you need to color it.

Here is a good build thread where he left it on
http://www.therpf.com/f9/tos-saurian-brandy-bottle-mod-180499/

After you use the search function come back and let us know if you still need help.

i have used the search function - i still am unable to figure out how the leather pieces are removed from the bottle for cleaning and re-painting - i am also seeking guidance from those who have painted over leather before

Last edited:
Here's a decent off site conversation about the Saurian Brandy bottle. You asked about removing the bottle from the leather, a similar question is asked in that thread (page 4). There is not really an answer, but it's mentioned. Good Luck! I still need to convert my two bottles over to the TOS and the DS9 (as seen in the Art of Star Trek book) versions.

I have done probably 50 Bottles over the years.

Why are you wanting to remove the Leather?

Strip the labels off and paint or dye the leather, You're done!

Yep mask it.

Never heard of anyone removing the leather you will probably ruin it if you do

i have used the search function - i still am unable to figure out how the leather pieces are removed from the bottle for cleaning and re-painting - i am also seeking guidance from those who have painted over leather before

Here are the search results for Saurian Brandy. Many threads full of info about converting them, cleaning, painting, etc etc etc.

I'm sure you'll find the exact info you're looking for in some of them.

Keep us posted on your progress thereafter :thumbsup

Looks good. I've heard of Krylon Banner Red being favored for this, but I don't think it's quite orange enough. If you're painting with a brush that gives you the opportunity to mix a color. Too red, add a bit of yellow.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back