Done / Completed TOS "McCoy's Heartbeat Reader" parts kit

Kokanee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am doing a run of parts to convert a Shure 585 microphone into a medical heartbeat sensor prop used by Dr McCoy on Star Trek The Orginal Series. Here is a shot of the actual prop for reference:

Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-McCoy-White-Sound-Device-1 (1).jpg

(Courtesy yourprops.com)

The parts kit will screw onto the microphone, and consist of all cnc machined 6061 aluminum parts. They will be machine finished and suitable to pop right on, but you may want to further polish the parts if you are going for a really high shine.

I am organized the run on another board, but once we had enough interest the make the run viable, immediately thought there might be some interest for collectors here. I am taking INTEREST at this time. As the run is confirmed happening, I am moving immediately into the prototyping phase (AutoCAD parts exported to stl and printed in resin on a Form3) and once fitment is dialed in, I will send out a quote including shipping to all interested. When I have a final tally, I will then hit the trigger on production. Please post here or PM if you are interested in the parts.

Pricing is TBD, but I will point to my current run of Strange New Worlds Communicator parts kits and antennas that for $130USD ($65/ea) convert all applicable parts on that prop into fully cnc machined or waterjet cut (also anodized!) parts. Shooting to keep this affordable.

Kit Run Progress
--------------------

1) Seeking Interest
2) Prototyping and fitment
3) Quotations out
4) Production <---- We are here
5) QC and Shipping to buyers

Interest List
----------------------

1. xlowes
2. mgoob (theRPF)
3. cepedajoe
4. theriker
5. ALLEYII
6. TheKeeper
7. BlackSeaProps (Josh)
8. trekker670
9. Mark Spurrier (FB)
10. jjb
11. Mr. Atoz
12. Mark Alan Vereb (FB)
13. David Knight (FB)
14. pkaneprops
15. Bob Moline (FB)
16. Bill Marseglia (FB)
17. Sanjoelo (theRPF)
18. jameskirk
19. A-heater-huh
20. Digigal
21. Seanpnichols
22. cylandprops
23. KertRatz (email)
24. Safetyman

Last edited:
Image5.jpg

Okay I have the first draft of the parts all setup. Just awaiting arrival of my microphone to test fit and I'll run this off in resin in the mean time.

Have been able to dial the parts in enough to firm up production costs, will be asking $50USD+shipping.

Image7.jpg

1st prototype parts are printing off in resin right now. Looking to test the functionality of the soft click mechanism for rotation, and fit of parts.

I’m really looking forward to adding one of these to my collection…but, I do have to admit, it’s definitely the worst prop that the wizards of The Original Series ever came up with under a time and money crunch…

799D5179-F6EB-4721-9681-0CE606F723AA.jpeg

Last edited:
For sure!

If anything, it's an interesting conversation starter about the challenges of producing props under constraints like time and resources.

Click function works like a charm.

What you are looking at is the (green) dummy microphone surrogate and the (grey) fit test prints in resin. Two springs provide the tension on the floating adjustment dial.

As a precaution, I have a 5/8-27-UNS thread die coming to me Tuesday. Once I physically confirm that is the correct threading, I will then start sending out quotes and looking to get this order submitted into production for 29 November.

I am doing a run of parts to convert a Shure 585 microphone into a medical heartbeat sensor prop used by Dr McCoy on Star Trek The Orginal Series. Here is a shot of the actual prop for reference:

View attachment 1632723
(Courtesy yourprops.com)

The parts kit will screw onto the microphone, and consist of all cnc machined 6061 aluminum parts. They will be machine finished and suitable to pop right on, but you may want to further polish the parts if you are going for a really high shine.

I am organized the run on another board, but once we had enough interest the make the run viable, immediately thought there might be some interest for collectors here. I am taking INTEREST at this time. As the run is confirmed happening, I am moving immediately into the prototyping phase (AutoCAD parts exported to stl and printed in resin on a Form3) and once fitment is dialed in, I will send out a quote including shipping to all interested. When I have a final tally, I will then hit the trigger on production. Please post here or PM if you are interested in the parts.

Pricing is TBD, but I will point to my current run of Strange New Worlds Communicator parts kits and antennas that for $130USD ($65/ea) convert all applicable parts on that prop into fully cnc machined or waterjet cut (also anodized!) parts. Shooting to keep this affordable.

Kit Run Progress
--------------------

1) Seeking Interest
2) Prototyping and fitment <---- We are here
3) Quotations out
4) Production
5) QC and Shipping to buyers

Interest List
----------------------

1. xlowes
2. mgoob (theRPF)
3. cepedajoe
4. theriker
5. ALLEYII
6. TheKeeper
7. BlackSeaProps (Josh)
8. trekker670
9. Mark Spurrier (FB)
10. jjb
11. Mr. Atoz
12. Mark Alan Vereb (FB)
13. David Knight (FB)
14. pkaneprops
15. Bob Moline (FB)
16. Bill Marseglia (FB)
17. Sanjoelo (theRPF)
18. jameskirk
19. A-heater-huh
20. Digigal
21. Seanpnichols
22. cylandprops
23. KertRatz (email)
24. Safetyman
I'm down

Order is off to production this Sunday evening. Shipping date is no later than 31 Jan 23. Seems a bit long in the tooth but keep in mind December is a write off for production.

I will make updates here and on my FB page. Black Sea

PXL_20221212_213758888.jpg

319633916_1511053202747991_639547509766643425_n.jpg

Parts are in! Emails out to those who preordered and some items shipping tomorrow.

I have a few extra kits handy if anyone missed out and would like one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back