TOS Enterprise Paint Question - Custom colors by LAB code?

Cameron

Sr Member
So now that the paint colors were released by the restore team using the LAB codes, is there anyway to order enamels by LAB code?

Production Hull Gray-Green; LAB: L 64.45 A -3.53 B 2.40

Pilot Hull Blue-Gray; LAB: L 62.96 A -1.97 B -4.20

Light Gray accent color; LAB: L 81.37 A -2.23 B -0.37

Medium Gray accent color; LAB: L 66.89 A -0.55 B 3.99

Dark Gray accent color; LAB: L 49.13 A -0.52 B 1.20

Yellow markings; LAB: L 79.72 A -10.24 B 56.78

Red markings; LAB: L 37.26 A 40.76 B 16.79

Turbo Lift Green; LAB: L 46.63 A -5.39 B 5.09

Dorsal Aqua accent color; LAB: L 56.60 A -21.72 B -17.72

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

Hm, I think getting these colors as Hobby Colors might prove harder then I thought. To find a perfect match from any of the major Hobby color makers seems to be a no go, I tried to at least order a sample/Color Chip online but that also seems impossible as most paint companies sells their samples as "Fans" or "Books" and they sometimes cost over 200$.

To get the LAB color is no prob...

Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-04 um 20.04.50.png

But to get that info in to something that you can use as at least a reference seems pretty difficult...at least for me :p

Has any of you guys had any luck cracking the "Color" code for the TOS Enterprise?

Cheers Guys.

I think people are getting too hung up on the colors the Smithsonian used. A person has to take into account the lighting and display environment to determine the color that it appears to be. I started with Steve Neill's suggestion for the color mixture. On the video it looked satisfactory to the eye. If one notices in the videos he takes it over to sunlight. The difference between that light source and his garage lighting is striking. Above my bench I have fluorescent lighting and at the other end of the garage it is incandescent. I originally painted it with his recommendations and it just didn't look right. It looked like a straight grey color. I added some green tint until I got the color I wanted. Now I happened to take the parts to the other lighting and the difference in lighting has a marked difference. I took an original painted part and checked it between the different lights. There is a substantial difference in the tinting of the parts in the different lights. It's one thing to get as close as possible but the result will be relative. This factor seems to be more enhanced with these grey-scale colors.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back