TORTURE CHAMBER 1/6

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wassup guys, so just wanting to gather any material I can for an upcoming project...a 1/6 scale torture chamber, with Han in the hot seat. As always there is precious little reference around and I 'm looking for any rare or hard to find shots of this set/prop...particularly the torture device itself. I have the toy which is pretty basic and whatever pics turn up on internet searches but that it.

I've made a start on modelling the 'chair' part from what pics I have, but there will have to be some artistic license methinks;

TORTURE CHAMBER 1.jpg

TORTURE CHAMBER.jpg

That prop is filed under "Obscure Props" section...but I like it of course. You're right; not a lot of pics available :-(
Eager to see your next update!

Yep, I figured I had pretty much everything that still existed, pics wise...anyway, I have finished the modelling and will now attempt to create this set in 1/6 with a combinaion of resin printing for the torture device, laser cutting for the 'room' and a bit of scratch building.

So here's the pain inducing part of the device finished;
TORTURE CHAMBER 2.jpg

TORTURE CHAMBER 3.jpg

and here's everything assembled;
TORTURE CHAMBER 4.jpg
TORTURE CHAMBER 5.jpg
TORTURE CHAMBER 6.jpg
TORTURE CHAMBER 9.jpg

This is one of those random things that you just never even think on, how did they build this, what parts did they use?
Without any context of what it is, its quite creepy and looks like its something from the Saw movies.

"They didn't even ask me any questions!"

I always thought the 'device' or what ever it was supposed to was just weird...I mean what does it do with all those 'pointy' bits...?...tickle his belly button..??...weird...anyway, interesting build, surely one of the stranger ones..

The 3D modeling is superb.

It's a Bespin piece of equipment. So... why would they have torture devices unless it was a regular usage item just used for torture by the Empire. I always imagined it was an automated dentist for Ugnauts, where the Emperials just took off the front plate and disabled all safety features. Otherwise... it's an odd thing to have on a mining facility.

Last edited:
The 3D modeling is superb.

It's a Bespin piece of equipment. So... why would they have torture devices unless it was a regular usage item just used for torture by the Empire. I always imagined it was an automated dentist for Ugnauts, where the Emperials just took off the front plate and disabled all safety features. Otherwise... it's an odd thing to have on a mining facility.

This is because, as is often the case, Expanded Universe writers either misinterpreted or overly complicated elements from the films.

The “scan grid”, as it was called in the EMPIRE novelization, was clearly an Imperial torture device brought into Cloud City by Vader’s troops. But, along the way, later writers of spin-off materials got it into their heads that it was a piece of mining equipment adapted into a makeshift torture device. Perhaps they read the novelization, and the non-threatening name, “scan grid”, threw them off.

And then there’s the ridiculousness of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and some Clone Troopers being frozen in carbonite during THE CLONE WARS, whereas EMPIRE implies that Vader, being an evil genius, adapts Cloud City’s carbon-freezing chamber for use on people, something that the technology would not normally be used for. Suspended animation may well have been around in the STAR WARS universe at that time, but it’s clearly indicated in the film that carbon-freezing people is not a normal thing to do, which is why they test it on Han, first.

This is because, as is often the case, Expanded Universe writers either misinterpreted or overly complicated elements from the films.

The “scan grid”, as it was called in the EMPIRE novelization, was clearly an Imperial torture device brought into Cloud City by Vader’s troops. But, along the way, later writers of spin-off materials got it into their heads that it was a piece of mining equipment adapted into a makeshift torture device. Perhaps they read the novelization, and the non-threatening name, “scan grid”, threw them off.
Oh... that was just my own idea. I haven't read any of the books or most of the comics.

Oh... that was just my own idea. I haven't read any of the books or most of the comics.

Interesting. Because, as noted, that’s the idea that the EU went with—a mining device used to send electrical impulses through materials to test them.

But, of course, it’s obviously a friggin’ torture device.

Interesting stuff. This could be a contender for the least explored and scrutinised prop from the OT? To me it looks like some car fenders/wheel arches and dentistry bits
Anyway the torture device is pretty much done and I have made a start on laser cutting the elements for the chamber itself.
Let's start with a Han's eye view;
nwuRc7Ml.jpg
hzlh5DCl.jpg
nrbKy7ql.jpg
mWwqFZ7l.jpg
70tYPiXl.jpg
m6Iwnkvl.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back