Torbjorn Cosplay - Overwatch

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Incoming, May 23, 2016.

1. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Since the beta ended I had all this Overwatch hype and no outlet... so I had to occupy my time building a cosplay.
    I'd say I'm about 60% done.

This is my first RPF thread.

First I had to pick a hero.
    Last year at comicon I saw a guy cosplaying as Rocket Raccoon and he scaled the gun up to his height so it ended up being enormous. Pretty cool.
    I wanted to replicate this effect plus I usually pick my cosplays based on facial hair, making Torbjorn an easy choice.

Torbjorn_Reference_1.jpg

A lot of separate pieces to make.

Accessories: Hammer, Gun, Backpack, Turret

Armor: Pauldrons, Helmet, HUD, Robot Arm (Shoulder, Upper Arm, Elbow, Bracer), Claw, Chestpiece, Glove, Codpiece, Upper Leg Plates, Boots

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Incoming

Incoming New Member

First up was the hammer.

I wanted it to have some actual weight so foam was out. Plus it would be cool if I could actually hit stuff with it. Decided to go with 4" PVC couplings for the hammer head. I left the caps unglued so i could add a battery pack for the EL wire I will use to create the light ring.

Real happy with how it turned out. Hefty. Didn't like the "metallic silver" paint I used so I switched to a different color after this. Might go back and repaint that section.

LKGE0806.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0748.jpg IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0766.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Incoming

Incoming New Member

I made a gun about a month ago that isn't exact but is close enough to work for the cosplay so I can focus on other portions. I want to wear this to Phoenix Comic-con which is on June 2 so gotta cut some corners.

gun.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

4. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Then there was the claw. I wanted the center ring to actually spin.

Sorry I didn't take more pics of the bracer and claw construction. The bracer is held on by the foam being snug on my forearm. The claw is layered FoamStyrofoamFoamStyrofoamFoam. Just the regular EVA foam was too floppy.

IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0798.jpg IMG_0793.jpg IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0827.jpg IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0833.jpg IMG_0834.jpg IMG_0836.jpg IMG_0841.jpg LDHK6220.jpg IMG_0873.jpg IMG_0962.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Sorry, trying to figure out my thumbnail issue. Overwatch is about to go live!!!

Here's some robot arm.

IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0929.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And some pauldron action

SMOKESTAXXX

IMG_0874.jpg IMG_0882.jpg IMG_0889.jpg IMG_0919.jpg

I live in Phoenix. It is usually over 100 degrees at comicon. I refuse to wear a foam armor chestpiece so a simple vest with EL wire will have to do.

IMG_0895.jpg IMG_0879.jpg IMG_0906.jpg IMG_0912.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. Incoming

Incoming New Member

7 minutes after 4:00 and overwatch doesn't work yet...

Overall progress
    IMG_0938.jpg IMG_0933.jpg IMG_0949.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0962.jpg

7. Incoming

Incoming New Member

So now we get to the part I could use some help on.

The boots.

The shoes are currently barge cemented onto the foam and I am worried that will break off after walking around awhile. Does anyone have suggestions for how to affix shoes to foam permanently? I have seen some options with straps and screws and such but I definitely don't want to have screw heads sticking up under my foot.

IMG_0931.jpg boots.jpg

Took a little Overwatch break to clomp around a bit. After about 15 minutes the hot glue/barge cement combination seems to be holding up quite well. I was thinking about gluing/pinning down the laces and filling the toe cavity with foam so if the glue breaks the shoe should still be fairly secure, leaving me able to walk still. Hopefully. Thoughts?

IMG_0965 copy.jpg

8. gothic

gothic Sr Member

amazing work, you growing the beard for the character or was it yours all along

9. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Thanks. The beard is one I already had. Just repurposing it for this :D ...need a lot more length for the proper cosplay though. It's pretty short when braided... one day...

Here's some updated WIP pics for official Overwatch day!

image3.jpg Resized952016052395224903.jpg image2.jpg image1 (1).jpg

So the arm still need the hose connecting the upper/lower arm.
    Hammer needs lighting.
    Haven't decided how to go about the helmet. That is my actual welding helmet. It is very hot. May just clip it onto my belt or something.
    Obviously I still need to finish the boots and do the leg armor.
    Gotta do the eyepiece/HUD.
    Would love to figure out how to do the ornamentation on the glove... I guess sew foam pieces into it?
    I definitely want to build the turret and haven't even started the backpack. I want the backpack to auto spin, like in the game. I'm thinking these pieces aren't gonna be done by comicon.
    One day I may try to build a muscle suit for the right arm.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. slipstream

slipstream New Member

That looks awesome! Like gothic said, the beard really sells the whole kit :).

11. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Glad people are enjoying it.

It's funny, the game is out now... but I'm more excited about the cosplay.

Started the leg armor while I'm deciding how to proceed on the boots

leg armor copy.jpg

12. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

Looking really good already.

With your thoughts on the boots, I imagine what you have will hold pretty well. Depending on how much flex you have in the sole I wouldn't have thought you would need to fill the space. I've a set of iron man boots I've made that have done 4/5 outings now where I just hot glued the full length of the soles of the shoes onto some foam and they're still holding tightly. It may vary depending on the kind of shoe but I think with the addition of the contact cement it would be unlikely that they would come lose easily. Particularly with the reinforcement from the hot glue as well.

Just my thoughts on it but I hope that's of some use.

13. horus

horus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is great work, I love the weathering detailing,

14. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Thanks Ikras. That's like exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I can seal those shoes in and attempt to build these monster boots.

And thanks horus. The weathering was interesting. From the reference images, it looks more like he has oil stains as opposed to your usual dirt/grime weathering so I tried to stick to that plus the silver/black paint chips and scratches

Ikras likes this.
  15. Shiroppi

Shiroppi New Member

epic work, mate. for the boot, i would just epoxy glue them together.

16. Incoming

Incoming New Member

I drastically underestimated the complexity of the boots.

It has taken me the better part of the day to get this far and I still have to do it all again. Dammit. What have I gotten myself into??

I ended up just gluing/pinning down the laces and moving on. Hopefully it all holds.

IMG_0989.jpg IMG_0990.jpg IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.jpg IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1004.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_0998.jpg IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0996.jpg IMG_1007.jpg

I really wanted to see how this was gonna look so I kept working and... voila

image1 (2)copy copy.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Got a lot done today.

Finished a boot. Real happy with it. Still gotta do the other, though...

IMG_1015.jpg IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1018.jpg IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg IMG_1027.jpg

Started on the wheel for the back pack. Really hoping to get this spinning by comicon.

IMG_1028.jpg IMG_1029.jpg IMG_1030.jpg

Finished the leg armor too

IMG_1031.jpg IMG_1032.jpg IMG_1033.jpg IMG_1034.jpg

Overall, a lot further along.

IMG_1036.jpg

18. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Been hard at work trying to get this done by Thursday for PCC.

We will see if it happens. I feel good about it but it does mean that memorial day weekend has/is going towards building the tor-pack-backmoblender

Also, here's the final legs stuff

IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1041.jpg

This baby's gonna spinnnnnn!!!
    Also, I built the wheel too large. Oops. Now the backpack is kinda out of scale but oh well. Bigger is better I guess.

IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1088.jpg IMG_1091.jpg IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1093.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1098.jpg IMG_1099.jpg

Gibbtall likes this.
  19. Incoming

Incoming New Member

90% COMPLETION UPDATE

So PCC starts today but since the forecast is 118 degrees all weekend I'm only wearing the full thing on Saturday. And I'll probably die of heat stroke. But we will see how the partial cosplay goes today and tomorrow.

Still gotta finish a boot and the helmet then just some final details. Enjoy!

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1159.jpg IMG_1161.jpg IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg IMG_1187.jpg IMG_1180.jpg IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg IMG_1169.jpg IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg IMG_1196.jpg IMG_1198.jpg IMG_1184.jpg

Attached Files:

Gibbtall, Yrien, Ikras and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

Looks great. I'm sure you'll get it done in time. Hope that you survive the heat too and get some great shots from it all.

Most importantly, enjoy!

21. wargreymon

wargreymon New Member

h.jpg h2.jpg still working on the rest but here is my hammer done. still needs the twisted cable part but im working on that.

22. Incoming

Incoming New Member

Sorry about the lack of updates, been a busy month!

Phoenix Comic-con was amazing! So much Torbjorn love! It was insanely hot, though so I only wore the full costume for about 6 hours. I am happy to say it is all holding up still.

On to the photos!

IMG_1218.jpg IMG_4546.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1220.jpg IMG_4553.jpg IMG_4559.jpg IMG_4552.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4539 copy.jpg
    IMG_4535.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg

Attached Files:

23. Incoming

Incoming New Member

I learned a lot during my first attempt at wearing such an intricate cosplay. Namely that having a good handler is essential. This truly cannot be managed alone.

Now...

The inspiration for this cosplay was actually simply to build a giant pop-up turret. I ultimately decided that was least essential to the cosplay so I should save it for later.
    From in-game Torbjorns turret comes up to his chin.

For me that is 5 feet.

I want to stay as close to the in game animation as possible and practicality dictates this turret actually collapses otherwise I have to carry a massive 5 foot turret around everywhere.
    First, the legs collapse and pop out as he drops the collapsed turret. Then the barrel extends up through the "neck" and pivots down.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.17.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.17.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.17.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.18.05 PM.png

I am usually more of a "just wing it" kind of guy when it comes to projects and builds, but this is definitely gonna take some planning.

IMG_1241.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  24. DirtyWeebM8

DirtyWeebM8 New Member

Hey im a young cosplayer and would like to replicate the cosplay if you would mind could you send me the exact dimensions please and thanks