"Topknot's" underskull "VIDEO" / final pics of inside 11/08/09

AlphaTech686

So this proves it I have actually been working on something. I still need to install the motor to attach the cables to. I'll get some pics up as I get it going.
009-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

010-4.jpg

009-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

010-4.jpg

That's a nifty little under skull design you've got there, bud. Especially the built-in fan. Funny how the folks over at Winston or ADI never thought of that.
What kind of controller are you going to use to activate the motor driving the mandible cables? I'm paying attention to this one.....

I guess I'm in an agreement with everyone and I wish ADI would have used this instead of the other motors and cables. I thing the mandibles in the AVP movie opened way too wide. I like this build a lot jumping on the band wagon and watching this thread like a hawk.

Glad to see your still pushing along, this is heading towards the best custom build weve seen at this rate of detail

That's a nifty little under skull design you've got there, bud. Especially the built-in fan. Funny how the folks over at Winston or ADI never thought of that.
What kind of controller are you going to use to activate the motor driving the mandible cables? I'm paying attention to this one.....

Hey Carl Thanks for the compliments. What I do seems primative but it works very well. I use the power end of a battery operated screw driver. I cut the battery end off and wire it to a 9 volt. I place an "L" arm on it and mount it and it is ready to pull. I put limit switches on each end of the pull as it tends to want to rip itself out of the underskull. It will move some rubber though. I have used some very strong " and expensive" servos before but I like to keep things simple. Less problems. It will be run by a small toggle on the glove. Again I like keeping it simple.

Here's few pics of what I've accomplished the last couple of afternoons. These show the altered battery operated screw driver. The swing arm has been attached by drilling and tapping the head of the screw driver.
003-2.jpg

You can see the screw in the housing that attaches the driver to the motor mount.
002-5.jpg

here's a couple showing it mounted in the underskull. Good thing preds have big noggins.
004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

This shows the mount for the 4 cable ends.
012-3.jpg

Two 0f the cables mounted.
014-2.jpg

015.jpg

016-1.jpg

These last 2 show the small amount of movement that is required to move the mandables.
That's all for today. This little stuff is time consuming.
017-2.jpg

018.jpg

003-2.jpg

002-5.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

012-3.jpg

014-2.jpg

015.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-2.jpg

018.jpg

Alright here it is. You can see I designed a better swing arm. I needed something that gave me a nice even pull. I don't have the batteries mounted yet or the fan wired. This is pretty basic. Full open and full closed.
007.jpg

008-1.jpg

010-5.jpg

011-2.jpg

VIDEO

007.jpg

008-1.jpg

010-5.jpg

011-2.jpg

That looks totally cool! Very inventive using the black and decker screw gun. Will the fan run on the same power source? Looking forward for more updates, keep them coming!!

nice!! looks really good. i do have 1 question....your head will fit in there will the screw gun and all???I assume it is intended to be worn,given the fan.

This should prove to be an interesting video on youtube. Must be part of a static bust, can't imagine how anyone would get there head inside it.
I'm ***** at animatronics/electronics etc. so well done on your build so far.

You guys are funny, of course my head fits in there with alot of room to spare. I can't think of anymore junk to squeeze in. I'll post a picture with the welders helmet head piece mounted back in it so you can get some perspective. By the way does the video come up alright?

Thats good, wouldn't be very practical if your head didn't fit :p

The video looks great, are you gonna put a latex mask over the head piece?

The vid looks great. I know I said this before but this is just too freaking Awesome! This is going to ROCK! Hey, "Is there still enough room for your head?" Just kidding. :p

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back