Topknot's Functional Spear. Close Up Video Out In The Sun. 03/03/2013

I really looked at the build posts and this is EXACTLY what I was thinking for some time now....using a rack and spur gear set up with the spur gear stationary in the middle. This is great because you proofed the idea I had and did an awesome job creating it. You also solved something else  I was thinking, how to stop it before it goes too far out....a limit switch (face palm). I can use a simple micro roller snap action switch from RadioShack. The only thing I would do differently is incorporate a rechargeable drill battery pack. I must say this is inspiring me to create one. I can't wait to finish college (Engineering Degree) in Sept. This will be my next project when I'm done. You have inspired me big time.
It is so awesome how smooth it extracts and retracts.....you would think the thing came out of the movie. Thanks for sharing all fo this with us.

Jeff,
you have brought CG imagination into reality!! All the little touches you added with the lights, extra blades, etc have again set a bar here on this place that will be hard to be raised.   Hell, this completely blows away the concept I had. I will continue with it, but this is hands down the best.  Great job my friend.

Awesome Jeff! Way to finish this off. The LED's really add the extra touch of 'bling' to an already excellent build. Thank you for sharing the journey with us all. Now to get that blade gaunt finished. Thank you for starting that thread before finishing this one so we are not left hanging with nothing from you to help inspire us.

Steve

Thanks everyone. I have to say it was almost a let down yesterday doing the video like "what am going to think about now day in and day out". I do have some work to do on it today to actually finish it. I will be back to the guantlet then onto sculpting some legs. Thanks again everyone for the kind words. 

alphatech686 said:
This is the final video. I will post some photos tomorrow hopefully of the finished piece. I still need to do a little touching up and some
nuances to the weathering. So here it is____

http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/alphapredator686/media/005-31_zpsb2baeabd.mp4.html
Thats the coolest predator weapon ever, now i want to build one......but after may dont want to get sidetracked by another project, in may is the prcc comicon and i still need to finish some parts of my suit, but seriously that spear its amazing , looks bery light too....or maybe your too strong ;)

I would never have thought that you would have had such a smooth mechanism in something that size.  It is truly amazing.  My hat goes off to you.

Here are some photos of the final product.
001-35_zps0672ebf9.jpg

002-38_zps2fc82eff.jpg

003-39_zps6ccf7a74.jpg

004-36_zpsa98faa10.jpg

005-31_zps0e88f57e.jpg

I wanted to point out the flashing red light so I took 2 photos. You would laugh if you knew how many I had
to snap to catch the light.
007-29_zps3a811085.jpg

022-9_zpsc5579ff1.jpg

013-25_zps755c7891.jpg

010-30_zps5a3187bd.jpg

012-27_zps07c73d73.jpg

014-22_zps2c92fc39.jpg

015-17_zps05a06186.jpg

016-19_zpsd89ea252.jpg

017-15_zps2027ebb7.jpg

018-12_zps8c4aba3e.jpg

019-12_zps0dded004.jpg

last but not least a short video of the lights
http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/alphapredator686/media/020-13_zpse1a935a8.mp4.html

Un Real! This is amazingly complex. You do really nice work my friend. Special attention to detail is second to none.

The speed is perfect I think, its kind of dramatic how it unfolds slowly. It expands like a beetle who opens its back showing its wings. Its very gnarly and insect-like.

Fabulous to the end. Excellent integration of atristic creativity with mechanical and electrical ingenuity. Simply stunning Jeff. One more piece of "topknot" completed.  Helmet, check...Mask, check...Feet, check...Sculpted Dreads, check...Functional Spear, check...Blade Gauntlet, almost done... 

Steve

Thanks again everyone. Hey Steve, the mask is almost done and the gauntlet is almost done. I am getting after the Gaunt today. I may bring the lower body duct tape dummy I made in and start putting clay on that today also

That is just awesome, wouldn't even know where to begin making one! And 7lbs isn't too bad! Hefty enough to feel cool haha.

This thing just blows my mind. The ingenuity of it all is truly astounding.

Simply a work of beauty and awesomeness!!! Excellent work yo's.  :cool:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back