Top Gun: HGU-33 helmet edge roll pattern and interior padding?

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone have a pattern for the leather edge roll used on the HGU-33 pilot helmets? I can't find a real edgeroll set and thought I could make it myself out of thin leather if I only had a pattern.

Secondary question: After the foam layer that goes against the helmet shell, what do people use for internal padding?

Flight helmets.com sells kits for the edgeroll or you could send it to places like Gibson and Barnes and have them done there. I believe it’s around $100.

flight helmets.com has good deals on some parts... edgeroll kits are not one of them. :)
Are the edgeroll leather supposed to be sewn to the helmet? I've seen some mention of
drilling/punching the helmet shell and sewing on the edgeroll leather, others say it's glued in place.

flight helmets.com has good deals on some parts... edgeroll kits are not one of them. :)
Are the edgeroll leather supposed to be sewn to the helmet? I've seen some mention of
drilling/punching the helmet shell and sewing on the edgeroll leather, others say it's glued in place.
Is it sewn, and the helmets are drilled. If you shell is not drilled, you don't have the right kind.
helmet.jpg

Thanks for the diagram, that explains things clearly. The helmet shell I'll be modding is actually an HGU-26, and it isn't drilled for sewing.
I've never seen any photos of an HGU-33 without the edge roll mounted in place.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back