Top Gun Harness, Survival vest etc. Order of dress

Markyb916

Hi All.

Can anyone advise on the dress order (i.e. what goes on first, second, third etc) for the flight suit?

I assume it's the harness first followed by the survival vest and finally the life preserver.

If someone can confirm that is correct (or not) then that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a Naval Aviator.
Over the flight suit in order:
G-suit (aka "speed jeans")
Torso Harness
Survival gear/flotation horse collar.
The torso harness "D ring" (for hooking up to a rescue helo's cable) is then threaded through a slot in the survival vest rig.

If you have an integrated torso harness, that means the survival gear vest and floatation collar etc are already sewn into/attached as one item.

I'm a Naval Aviator.
Torso Harness
The torso harness "D ring" (for hooking up to a rescue helo's cable) is then threaded through a slot in the survival vest rig.

If you have an integrated torso harness, that means the survival gear vest and floatation collar etc are already sewn into/attached as one item.
Hi.

First thing. You have one of the best jobs in the world.

I'm good with the Flight suit, G-Suit and harness.

I just want to clarify something with the Survival vest and life preserver. I'm using the SV-2 vest and LPU-23/P life preserver. Would I be correct in saying that the vest goes on first followed by the life preserver with the clips from the collar attaching to the D rings on the vest?

You also mention that the harness D ring goes through a slot on the vest rig. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see the slot. Is it possible you're referring to a later model vest like the CMU-33?

Thanks for the help.

I'm a Naval Aviator.
Torso Harness

“Speed Jeans”, we used to call them chaps in the 70’s , former USAF Air crew here (y)

Hi.

First thing. You have one of the best jobs in the world.

I'm good with the Flight suit, G-Suit and harness.

I just want to clarify something with the Survival vest and life preserver. I'm using the SV-2 vest and LPU-23/P life preserver. Would I be correct in saying that the vest goes on first followed by the life preserver with the clips from the collar attaching to the D rings on the vest?

You also mention that the harness D ring goes through a slot on the vest rig. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see the slot. Is it possible you're referring to a later model vest like the CMU-33?

Thanks for the help.
The float collar attaches to the survival vest. And the D ring should already be hanging on your chest. Basically the Sv-2 and LPU-23 stay permanently connected so it’s one unit and hangs on a single hook. The PR shop handled all the assembly and fitting of straps (nice to be pampered). You can combine them as a single piece of gear.

Sorry for the confusion. I haven’t flown in an LPU23 for quite a few years. Nowadays I was thinking of the newer CMU-33 regarding the “slot”. Some guys have fully integrated torso/vest/float collar. Others have variations of this combo based on a/c or if they are guest flyers wearing pool gear.

The float collar attaches to the survival vest. And the D ring should already be hanging on your chest. Basically the Sv-2 and LPU-23 stay permanently connected so it’s one unit and hangs on a single hook. The PR shop handled all the assembly and fitting of straps (nice to be pampered). You can combine them as a single piece of gear.

Sorry for the confusion. I haven’t flown in an LPU23 for quite a few years. Nowadays I was thinking of the newer CMU-33 regarding the “slot”. Some guys have fully integrated torso/vest/float collar. Others have variations of this combo based on a/c or if they are guest flyers wearing pool gear.
Thanks for clearing things up. It's interesting to note that you say the SV-2 and LPU-23 stay connected. That would make sense as would make putting them on a lot easier.

No need to apologise for confusion. One thing I've found is that there's an incredible amount of different models and variants of equipment. I should have given model numbers in my original post.

I've now got all I need for the flight suit. I'm going to have to make my own leg garters/restraints as they nearly impossible to come by in the UK and sell for silly money. The only other thing is the flare and dye pouches that go with the SV-2 but I'm sure some will turn up on ebay.

I've stripped the helmet and applied the primer for painting so just waiting for that to cure and some decent weather to spray in and then will be applying the finishing coats and graphics.

Thanks again for all you help.

Just another thank you for all your input. Costume was a success I'm happy to say. I'm fairly pleased with the helmet too, not bad for a first attempt.

IMG_3188.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back