Top Gun 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Mr Webber, May 23, 2017.

1. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Just saw Tom Cruise on TV here confirm filming starts at the end of the year. loved the original. POWER TO THE DANGER ZONE

2. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This made me burst out laughing ...

MooCriket likes this.
  3. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Val Kilmer has mentioned before that he was going to be a part of it. I know he has a lot of difficulty talking now from a swollen tongue, so hopefully that heals up and he can still be in it. Poor guy doesn't sound like himself these days. :(

Riceball likes this.
  4. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

It's....too late. Top Gun was OF the 80s. A different time. It's hard to see how this can really work. Really trying to thread the needle with this.

5. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Youve lost that loving feeling Jedi-72 and quite frankly it takes my breath away... ey ey eyy

Axlotl, Reelo, Solos blaster and 2 others like this.
  6. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I agree, just can't see the same film style being used again today. That movie influenced my older brother to enlist in the Navy. Lol.

Oh, and I don't think Tom actually said it will happen. Here is his quote regarding the film:
    “If I can figure it out, if all of us can figure it out, it’d be fun to do, I’d like to fly those jets again, but we got to do all the jets practical, no CGI on the jets,” he said to Extra. “I’m saying right now no CGI on the jets. If we can figure all that out, and the Department of Defense will allow us to do it, that would be fun.”

7. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Cruise confirmed it live in studio on Australian TV this morning, jeeeeeeeez lighten up. The no fun police are a crack unit.

Riceball likes this.
  8. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Not saying it couldn't be fun...just unlikely. Also, how can you take what he said at face value, when he is quoted basically saying if he can fly a fighter jet, he'll do the film on the same day?

No need to take the highway to the danger zone on this. No one is writing a check that their body can't cash. You can still be my wingman.

Riceball and Axlotl like this.
  9. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

You forgot to read me my rights first.

MooCriket likes this.
  10. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Well if they are going to go with F35c's for the movie, the U.S. needs all of the good press on them they can get because of the massive cost overruns. They still aren't as cool as F-14s though!

I'd also hope they would be more realistic and none of the crap in the last movie that would get anyone's wings taken away. I also don't want to see a F-5 unless it's in training. No more Mig-28s!

Riceball, Solos blaster and MooCriket like this.
  11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

As long as they don't screw it up, I'm in. And if they do screw up just this much, theyll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong!

Axlotl, Solos blaster and Mr Webber like this.
  12. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Its not Lord of the Rings, whats to screw up?
    Jet planes, fast cars and Rock and Roll Baby.

Yeah, that Mig thing really bothered me back in the day too:rolleyes

MooCriket likes this.
  13. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

I'd rather Super Hornets than F-35s. It's a better fighter. But, the 35 does need good press.

Riceball, MCM, Axlotl and 2 others like this.
  14. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Don't worry about the Migs, I'm sure there are a few 29s waiting to be rented. As for the DDoD considering how well the first movie did for recruitment that is a no-brainer.

Axlotl likes this.
  15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That and court-martialed.

I saw it when it came out and laughed at how unrealistic it was and so did every other Pilot i knew that was on active duty! :lol

16. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Maybe I got a little excited, there is a chance it could open with Maverick imprisoned in a North Korean re education facility..........Even Kenny Loggin`s could`nt fix that.

Riceball and MooCriket like this.
  17. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He can battle Xenu of the Galactic Confederacy I guess.

karmajay, MooCriket and Apollo like this.
  18. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Do fighter planes these days even still dogfight? I mean with all kinds of medium-range missiles, isn't it just a matter of whose radar locks on first?
    I know the F-4 Phantom didn't have an onboard cannon because of that very reasoning, and it was a bad decision, but the tech has come a long way since then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I would go see this movie JUST to see MiG-29s in action. :love

20. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It should be set in the future and they should fly those planes from Independence Day 2! ;)

21. DeLano80

DeLano80 Well-Known Member

Hasn't the world had enough Tom Cruise? I really have a had time watching him in movies. I can never see the character he is portraying. I just see a crazy short guy named Tom Cruise.

22. batguy

batguy Sr Member

IMO there could be a better-than-expectations movie in this but they won't have the guts to do it.

Take it a notch more realistic & less cheesy than the original (but not a total night-n-day difference). Have Maverick be older instead of the usual ageless 21st-century Tom Cruise. Don't let the studio force any idiotic frustrating choices when casting the younger pilots they will be training.

Drones-or-human-pilots is the obvious subject they should hinge the plot on. They seem to be aware of that.

Riceball and MCM like this.
  23. CessnaDriver

Just have Maverick come out of the closet, it's all good now.

24. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

You still would, it's not like in animes where you see swarms of missiles and people just jink a bit to try and dodge all the while fighters are dropping out of the sky at an alarming rate. Those missiles will be detected and once they get within a certain range you can bet the planes on the receiving end will start doing all sorts of maneuvers to try and dodge those them. Eventually they'll close to short range where they'll start to maneuver like crazy to get a lock on with their short range missiles, this might even happen at longer ranges after the initial volley is launched as they try to break radar lock. So, yes, there would almost certainly still be dogfights.

25. CessnaDriver

NAS Fallon Nevada is where the Naval adversary training moved to and continues, the military still trains in such tactics so they would not
    do so if there was not thought to be a need.

I think fervently that the pilot's training could make all the difference if we ever find ourselves in massive air campaigns again.
    Drones and beyond visual range weaponry will be part of that, but a human being that has mastered his craft and knows his weapons could
    write history in the sky... again.

As for Miramar......
    Miramar is a Marine base now, Navy long gone. I see the F-35 Marine variant coming and going from Yuma sometimes, tons of Hornets some in the Super flavor, a rare Harrier, and
    the Air Force has had A-10s visiting lately, along with occasionally an F16 that could be California ANG. Lots of typical Marine helo traffic including V22.

Riceball likes this.
  26. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Not to mention... It was one of Tony Scott's films. Since he's no longer with us, this film would be completely pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apollo likes this.
  27. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

How do you mean?

CB2001 likes this.
  28. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

This was a Tony Scott film. Without him, the sequel wouldn't be remotely the same, thus completely pointless. He'd make sure that the film had a solid story as well as his visual flare and excellent directing. Top Gun was a Tony Scott film, first and foremost. And that film has Scott's fingerprints all over it. Without it, it'll just be another poorly rendered Top Gun wannabe.

BTTFSpencer likes this.
  29. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

I see your point but not as strong on it, without knowing where they are going to take it, there would seem to be a number of suitable possible replacements. His nephew may want to step up to the occasion. James Gunn`s take would be interesting.

Riceball likes this.
  30. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I have nothing against Mr. Gunn. I love Guardians of the Galaxy (have not seen Volume 2 yet).

31. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

It will probably come down to who can tolerate Tom and Jerry the most.

Riceball and CB2001 like this.
  32. Sluis Van Shipyards

If you go by the first Gulf War, then Serbia, and through the 2003 Iraq attack (war?) then it's mostly NATO planes whacking down anything that flies with missiles. I don't buy that it would be any different with Russian pilots flying (we beat them in the Korean War and Vietnam). So while it hasn't happened in a while, it's not out of the realm of possibility. The F-35 has a ridiculously low amount of ammo for it's gun though. The F-35B (USMC version) doesn't even have an internal gun, it has to use a gun pod like early F-4s in Vietnam. I'm not sure when the last official dogfight (as in close in, maneuvering) took place, probably in one of the Israeli wars.

33. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

Let's hope they don't do a ID4 type sequel in which alien technology is now incorporated into our new F-Somethings!!

34. CessnaDriver

Hell do a prequel, go back to Vietnam era and show why the missle era still needed cannons and dogfight training was still relevant.
    Sure have pop tunes... from the sixties! F-4s are sexy as all hell, and some are still flying unlike the F-14, well a few in Iran I guess.

Cruise can be a museum tour guide in the beginning as they fade back into the sixties. LOL

I could watch that.

Reelo, Axlotl, robn1 and 2 others like this.
  35. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Maybe it's just me, but I could never get into Top Gun. I've seen it several times now, and it just never leaves an impression on me. It seems like a mediocre Tom Cruise flick where he plays the cool rebel without a cause who can do no wrong, much to the ire of his commanding officers. The film is probably much better in through nostalgic eyes, and I'm just not from the 80s. I find the entire thing extremely dated, and not in any good ways. From the catchphrases, to the hair, the music... It's like trying to watch something that was puked from somebodies memory of the 80s. Everything terrible from a fashionably terrible decade. Coupled with the fact that I don't care much for Tom Cruise in the first place, a sequel that was never asked for will be an easy pass to me.

CessnaDriver likes this.
  36. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

^ I think your just trying to throw us off about your secret membership to the Tom Cruise fan club? Maybe they can bring back zombie Goose? Also, on a serious note, say what you will about Cruise..he may be a crazy bastard, but he does entertain.

Stormy320 and Mr Webber like this.
  37. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

I think the last real air-to-air engagement was when our Tomcats shot those Libyan Migs down in 1989. The Migs inexplicably engaged the F-14s. The Tomcats kept turning away and the Migs kept turning back into them. They finally engaged and put em down.

Reelo likes this.
  38. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

I would`nt know an F-45 from a Tiger Moth, as long as one side has a white star and the other side has a red star.;)

Riceball and MooCriket like this.
  39. CessnaDriver

I was very disappointed by the MTV schlock it was then believe me, dude would have been grounded so fast in real life. LOL

robn1 likes this.
  40. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I am from the 80s and I could never get into this movie. Yeah, there is some good eye candy if you are an aviation buff, but otherwise I thought it was a pretty crappy cookie cutter movie. Never liked it.

And despite what some people say, not all of it was live action planes. There was a Cinefex way back that showed several models and miniatures being used for the film.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Riceball likes this.
  41. Win7ermute

Win7ermute Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

42. Sluis Van Shipyards

Was that a close maneuvering fight though? We've had air to air fights in the Gulf War and Serbia where the U.S. and allies downed planes, but it was all beyond visual range engagements.

Russia and China are really brave when it's a big lumbering jet. They don't try it when F-22s are around.

Also why does it have to be a zombie Goose? Why not a ghost? Have Goose pop up like Obi Wan as a Force Ghost? :lol

43. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

The only things that weren't "real" as far as the planes were the missile hits and the exterior flat spin shots, for obvious reasons. Virtually everything else is real. All the flying and maneuvering were real. No models at all.

MooCriket likes this.
  44. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

If memory serves, the cat and mouse turning and jinking back in started around 75 miles. The kill shots were made at 5 miles and 1 mile, I believe.

45. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Yes, I know that. That was going to be my next sentence, but right at that point my boss walked into my office!:lol

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    MooCriket likes this.
  46. mash3d

mash3d Active Member

Your talking about the Gulf of Sidra Incident in 1989.
    That was two F-14s vs Libyan Mig 23s. The range went from 35 miles down to 4 miles.
    The Gun camera footage and audio from that dogfight is online if you want to hear someone have a few stressful moments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQeOER5I_8

At one point you can see the Mig 23 cross right in front of the F-14.

During the filming of "Top Gun" a couple of times the F-14s almost fell out of the sky because they were having to go so slow for the camera plane.
    Still Looks better than any CGI dogfight I've seen.

Recent dogfights:
    2006 - Hostile engagement - Two Greek and Two Turkish F-16s engaged in a mock dogfight, resulting from the interception of a Turkish RF-4 recce jet. F-16s from both sides collided and were destroyed: the Greek pilot was killed while ejecting while the Turkish pilot survived. This was one of many confrontations over the disputed Aegean Sea between the NATO members.
    2000 - Full-fledged combat - multiple skirmishes between Eritrea and Ethiopia, which were fought with Russian built (and likely CIS manned) Su-27s and Mig-29s.
    1999 - Western versus Eastern jets - The Kosovo conflict involved NATO F-16s shooting down Serbian Mig-29s while enforcing a No-Fly zone

I had an interview once with a rather large aeronautical company.
    I had to walk past an F-22 to get to the interview and the guy leading me remarked the F-22 was going to to be the last manned jet fighter.
    Drones can do the same job cheaper, faster and and outperform a jet because drones don't black out or get tired.
    No more Goose.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  47. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

48. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

tom-cruise-top-gun.jpg

Cant edit the title.

MooCriket likes this.
  49. airair

airair Sr Member

What this movie needs is some speed, and lots of it.

Also, it must have an oiled up beach volleyball scene. Maybe even a cameo from Tarantino for a sword fight.

It will be interesting to see how they can take a really big 80s movie and make a new continuation for the current audiences.

I welcome anybody who brings Kenny Loggins back to do a killer theme song again.

Reelo, Mr Webber and MooCriket like this.
  50. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member