Top Gun 2 Maverick helmet

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.


MattgomeryBurns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
New trailer was just released at SDCC 2019.

What's new? What's different? Who's tackling this?

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 2.04.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 2.04.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 2.05.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 2.06.22 PM.png
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jamesfett

Sr Member
I have wondered why the new helmets don't have a sun visor anymore like the original HGU series? Don't pilots need a sun visor when flying? They used to have just dark for the most part and helicopter pilots often had dual dark and clear for wind protection with the open side doors, etc.

His old helmet looked a lot better.
 

TazMan2000

Master Member
The modern helmets do have a sun visor, but it is separate from the helmet, and clips on to the side. You can see the clear visor and the visor strap in the above pics. If it breaks or gets scratched its an easy replacement, but with the old helmet you have to take apart the top. You have a choice of clear or smoked. Unsure if amber is another choice.

I managed to get a hold of a smoked visor.

TazMan2000
 

TazMan2000

Master Member
Let me correct myself. When I said "modern", I meant semi-modern, as a "modern" helmet like one for an F-35 pilot have a built in computer and a internal projector to name a few features. I guess you can call them smart helmets. The one in the photos is just designed to protect your head.

TazMan2000
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
I still believe the Navy/Marine Corps require white reflective tape to cover at least 90% of the helmet shell- the remaining 10% can be used for squadron markings, also made from reflective tape. The requirement is to aid in rescue of a crewmember from the sea...

...this may be the answer to the question in the movie trailer as to why he is still a Captain and not an Admiral. Will not comply to safety regulations.
 

TazMan2000

Master Member
Clear so you can see the actors face, just like space helmets with lights shining on their face.

Exactly. Cruise demands top dollar for his face so you better cash in on it in filming when you can.
Normally fighter pilots wear their smoke visors during the daytime since they don’t know what kind of conditions they will be in. In a fighter jet, you can go from cloud to sun in a heartbeat and you wouldn’t want your vision impaired. Plus they usually wear their O2 masks from when they buckle in to when they land. But nobody would recognize the actors if their first scenes they would have their smoked visors down and their masks on.
In filming, the enemy would have their faces obscured as to create the illusion of them being heartless.

TazMan2000
 
Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ave4uevoli

Sr Member
It's a new model of helmet. I don't know the exact model but I think it's the current USN/USMC issue flight helmet but painted over in a glossy color scheme resembling the one from the first movie.

actually on quick glance - the new helmet just looks like a HGU 55 with the visor stops on the top of the helmet removed.
 

FiresprayPilot

Well-Known Member
Yep...The helmet appears to be a Gentex HGU-55/P with a Gentex MBU-20 oxygen mask. It does look like the visor stops at the top have been removed. The build may be easy enough, since surplus gear is fairly easy to get a hold of. I'll be thinking about possibly doing it...
 

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Top