Too big for Darth Vader?

LOL Then they start using BMI for measuring and everyone in the 501st is instantly kicked out for "being overwieght" and go off to start a "fat" club with Lance Armstrong

Well, I don't have to sit here and say how inaccurate BMI is;) Especially if you're 220, and "as natural as science allows." :lol Of raw muscle.

But I guess one can argue, "What are the limits? So if I'm 20 lbs overweight, I can't wear a costume?"

Of course not. But shouldn't there be SOME restrictions? Considering that all our costumes - usually - need to be within a certain restriction? Shouldn't our physiques also count as part of the costume?

I agree with alot of what you are saying, but I'm not going to be a jerk and walk up to a dude and say "hey, your too fat, take that costume off and do some other character." I have my thoughts on people's appearences in costume, but I won't call that person out just because of that alone.

Your argument is reasonable to an extent; they should look the part within reason. However, saying that everyone should conform to that direct lifestyle is adding a standard that not everyone can fit. We have tall and short stormtroopers. You factor in a weight standard for "appearance purposes," then what's to stop them from saying "only 5'10 stormtroopers allowed"? It'd just go so down hill so fast.

The 501st has standards, yes, but you have to remember that it's completly voluntary. It's for charity. Would alot of members like to see others within a good body size? I imagine so, but not everyone is. In the long run, a terminally ill child at a hospital is not going to be upset that there is a fat tie pilot coming to see him and entertain him. I think he or she would be more happy that there is an actual Tie pilot from the movie there to see him or her.

I agree with alot of what you are saying, but I'm not going to be a jerk and walk up to a dude and say "hey, your too fat, take that costume off and do some other character." I have my thoughts on people's appearences in costume, but I won't call that person out just because of that alone.
Nor would I. I would let them be and do their thing. But I'd by lying if I said that I wouldn't have an opinion or would I feel that it does portray what we do in a negative image and a negative light.

Please don't take that as, "I have no respect for anyone who is slight overweight. Everyone should make time to take care of themselves! Blahblahblah." No! Jobs, kids, 'life', etc. I totally understand!

But you're not going to convince me that someone who is 330, is 'sooo busy' with life where they balloon to such proportions. That is a conscious CHOICE of poor eating, poor lifestyle, and poor self-esteem. I understand people 'escape' into cosplays, where they can feel powerful and free in this 'world' of ours and escape the real world. But you need to take control of the real world and get a grasp at that first, before stepping into this one.

Your argument is reasonable to an extent; they should look the part within reason. However, saying that everyone should conform to that direct lifestyle is adding a standard that not everyone can fit. We have tall and short stormtroopers. You factor in a weight standard for "appearance purposes," then what's to stop them from saying "only 5'10 stormtroopers allowed"? It'd just go so down hill so fast.
Very true. Which is why I said, "Where does it stop?" But I think 'loose requirements' should be at least considered. Considering we have such strict requirements on our costumes.

The 501st has standards, yes, but you have to remember that it's completly voluntary. It's for charity. Would alot of members like to see others within a good body size? I imagine so, but not everyone is. In the long run, a terminally ill child at a hospital is not going to be upset that there is a fat tie pilot coming to see him and entertain him. I think he or she would be more happy that there is an actual Tie pilot from the movie there to see him or her.
Very true and noted. I really have nothing to say to this. You're 100% correct and it's easy to forget that it is a charity sometimes (I hate to say this). You're totally right, dude.

Everyone needs to be conciencous of their health, no doubt. I always talk about my size, Im a big dude, but am taking care of myself. Sure, I could afford to lose more weight, but hell, Im not struggling. Im in the Army after all.

Thats why I make fun of the use of the BMI as a measurement standard in the military; its simply outdated and inaccurate, but they disqualify many people because a false number says everyones too fat.

I have more to say but typing on my cell phone is a pain...

Jodokast is a tad cruel. Maybe those who are so critical of others need to take a look at themselves

I don't think I was being cruel in the least. The one thing that I did NOT forget is that this IS volunteer work. That everything we do is for a charities and a good cause. So on that note, I would never dare say that someone couldn't dress up no matter they look or how unauthentic their costume looked, if it's for a good cause.

Please elaborate though. Take a good look at ourselves? Well, let's see: I am involved in the fitness industry, so I - on a physical standpoint - take very good care of myself, my health, and my well-being. The body is our temple, it is what is keeping us alive on this planet, so we need to take care of it. If you refuse to take care of yourselves, that is your choice, but clearly you do not have a positive outlook on your life.

If you're suggesting I need to look at myself from the inside, fine. Once again, I want to help people, it's why I chose this industry. I want to motivate, make people believe, and lengthen their life-span so they can enjoy each and every moment of it. If someone chooses to smoke, eat fast food all the time, drink excessive, and CHOOSE to shorten their lifespans, I will not pity them when they wonder why did this happen to me. That's not being cold. It was conscious decision after conscious decision that set someone down that path.

Once again, I just find it a bit ironic: we have such strict requirements on every minute detail of each and every costume. Yet the big picture - the person wearing it - we completely ignore.

Last edited:
I look at it this way...

If your goal is to join a group such as the 501st Legion (of which I am a very proud honorary member) then you most certainly need to keep your size/weight/shape in mind because the point of the Legion is to be authentic and true to the characters in the films. However, if all you want to do is make a great costume and have fun wearing it then go for it.

I will be the first to admit that I was initially given the role of Vader by Lucasfilm because I was at the right place at the right time at the right height. I wasn't hired for my classical theatrical training, my years of Shakespeare, my film & TV credits, or even my skills as a swordsman. At 6'5" and 245lbs I had the right build to play the character. I like to think I got the part in 1994 because I fit the costume, and I kept the part because I fit the role. :) If I were a 4'9", 325lbs man I could be the greatest actor on the planet, but there's no way I'd ever play Vader officially. Any actor hired for a role is in a sense representing the film, TV show, franchise, company, studio, network, etc. that hired them. There is an image to maintain. The 501st Legion, although not technically employed by Lucasfilm, enjoys a certain special relationship with the company and is in essense representing the franchise. Therefore certain standards need to be maintained.

My point is that if someone makes a Vader costume in the hopes of joining the Legion they have to live up to expectations. The guy pictured in this thread cleary does not. BUT...if someone is only doing it for their own enjoyment, let's acknowledge that and show them a little grace. I bet this plus-sized Vader has a grand ol' time in his costume. I've seen plenty of folks here on this site who make truly impressive costumes. Does everyone with a 4th Doctor costume look exactly like Tom Baker? Does each Slave Leia have Carrie's curves from back in the day? No. They're having fun though. When I was in high school I put together a dead-on replica of Obi-Wan's costume. I'm even pictured in the school yearbook my senior year dressed in it for the Drama Club group photo (I'm still amazed that hasn't found it's way to the internet yet :$). Now at age 17 1/2, clean-shaven, and standing nearly a foot taller than Sir Alec Guinness did I think I was the spitting image of Kenobi? Of course not. I loved the costume so I made one.

As someone who makes half his living as an actor (and the other half as an effects artist) I know the importance of knowing your physical type, how you are perceive by casting directors, and which roles you will or will not have an opportunity to play. Yet as a costume and prop enthusiast from way back, I don't see what the big stink is if a fellow with and "extra portion of the force" wants to go to conventions as Vader. If he's not trying to join the Legion and is not officially representing Lucasfilm or the Star Wars franchise then big whoop! Let him have his fun.

Last edited:
Re: Too fat for a Vader?

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

It is about having fun, and respecting others, and their right to live their lives, as THEY see fit. If they are 300 pounds, and Han Solo is THEIR hero, and they want to dress up as Han, then more power to them. We have lost all respect for others in this society, and folks need to grow the hell up, and let others just be themselves. It's not hurting anyone. I would rather see folks of all body types, dressing up as THEY like, then all the skinny "Hoochy" slave Leia Costumes, I see every where I look. (OO your so hot, because you watched ROTJ once, and your friends told you, you should walk around half naked. ) No one complains about those ladies, unless one of them is a little over weight, but they wont shut up about "TRON guy".

That said, to those of you who are considered "over wait", "Too short", Too tall" etc. You should do what you want, and have fun doing it, but be ready to have any number of unintelligent, Neanderthals, putting you down, and giving you their unsolicited opinions.:( You will be publicly put down, judged, and attacked, for being different, by other nerds, who are themselves not regular parts of society. They will project all of their frustrations, inadequacies, and insecurity on you.

Oh, and I really like "Homer vader" :)
fatvader.jpg

Wow and I was worried about my weight? Am 6'4" and about 215 lbs. A small gut but could see it with a vader costume. I say to each their own, but you have to live with the ridicule of children that aren't afraid to speak their minds freely. Too skinny, fat, tall, or short, children notice and speak. Am not trying to bash anyone and like that everyone sports their love for star wars.

Yeah, I'm a solid 6'-6'1" and around 160, and when I wear my Deadpool suit you can kinda tell that I don't jog a lot, lol, I lift weights regularly but I don't hit the treadmill, so I got stick legs, lol. I don't look bad, but I'm making a point to tone up my mid-section and legs, that's all on me. I think that if your gonna do a costume, you just gotta have thick skin, ya know. You can be the perfect height, weight, width, length, whatever, and there are always gonna be pricks out there that don't get it, and will have something smart to say about what you're doing. Mine was my sister-in-law, lmao. It's one of those things where you just gotta jump and not care if you fall on your face, easier said than done, but there's not much else I can say on this subject. I think the bottom line is, if you're gonna do, you just gotta own it, have fun, and not give rat's ass about what anyone else thinks. I fyou wanna be source accurate maybe you should be Silent Bob, but then again, Wolverine is supposed to be, what, like 5'3"? Hugh Jackman seemed a lot taller than that, but he still rocks as Wolverine because he totally owns it on-screen. I even put up my DP picks, I love how my costume turned out, but before the summer season starts I'll be breaking some sweat toning up, I don't look perfect but I'm funny as hell, so I'll be rocking it come summer time.

I have two ways of looking at the discussion in this thread. If someone buys some cheap off-the-shelf costume and can truly get a smile on their face and enjoy life more, or (as our esteemed example Vader has done) have a 70" chest and still wear a 7" chest box and 2" belt and love every minute of it, I actually envy them. They can find joy in life without worrying about all the details.

Sometimes I think searching for months and spending WAY too much money on a 30 year old instrument button cover, and constantly fretting about a certain length of a certain thread in a stitch is very much an illness. Standing there and thinking "OMG! I hope nobody notices I couldn't find the right shade of green for that stripe on the underside of my holster!" is just madness. But, this is a madness I live with, and when I DO find these things it brings ME joy. I don't want to be judged for that, so I hesitate to judge others for their path to happiness.

Would I hesitate to costume as a Jawa at 6'4". Yes, I would never wear a Jawa costume. I don't wear my stormtrooper costume much any more due to this. But, I have the whole accuracy bug. So, yes, these things bother me. I can see and understand that side of the argument. But, I also find a little space to be happy for those without my illness.

Ok, so I read a bunch of these replies and just felt that I should put my two cents in:
I'm 5'2" and currently working on a Chewbacca costume. That's right, I'm real short, but I want to be a Wookiee. Rather than giving up on a costume that many people have said I "couldn't do," I've accepted the challenge of figuring out how to solve the problem of my vertically-challenged-ness. With the help and guidance of my fellow Wooks in the Rebel Legion, I found 18" stilts (most Wookiees in the Rebel Legion wear them or lifts to get above the 7' formal requirement mark anyway) and they've given me ways to get around the disproportion issues. I'll end up at exactly 7', a little taller if I'm lucky. Sure, I'll be a little shorter than most Wooks out there, but Chewie's always been my favourite character and there's no way in heck I'd let a little problem like my height stop me from making the costume I've wanted to make since I was 8. I can't do anything about how I'm built, I'm 26 and I won't be growing any taller than I am now. I'm ok with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we should let our heights or weights dictate the costumes we chose to make. Society thinks we're all nuts either way, why not just do what makes us happiest?

Tech. it's more about weight then height. Personally, as long as your costume was made in proportion to your height, even a short Vader can and will look cool (i.e. little kids). A taller Vader, or Wookiee might even look cooler and more intimidating. It's all about proportion. So many people buy pre-made costume armor (ie. Vader, Fett, Trooper) that is built for a certain height and build. While it could be awesome armor, if it doesn't fit, it looks ridicules. So as long as the costume is 'scaled' to fit your height, and you are a similar build, the costume will look great regarless of height.

Weight however limits you more as far as 'looking-the-part'. While you can and probably will get looks and laughing behind your back (sometimes in front of your face), as long as you are comfortable and confident, don't let other's negativity prohibit you from doing what you want.

I completely agree with you. Height doesn't really affect a costume for me, but weight can completely take you out of the character.

Where do people draw the line? If fat, bearded or glasses wearing people aren't allowed to be Character X, should an Asian person be allowed? Can a white chick dress up like Storm or should there be a black Thor? Is a little person destined to play an ewok, jawa or munchkin for every single Halloween because some anal nerds on a forum say they can't be the Bat?

I say let the people do whatever they want. ANY person. Dressing up should be fun, not grounds for ridicule and discrimination.

Completely agree.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back