Too big for Darth Vader?

Basically I'm all for trying to wear something that suits your bodytype, for example I'd love to a clone trooper, but I'd end up loong more like Barf from spaceballs :lol:,,, so I havn't done it. I do however feel I do a really good Silent Bob, I got the gut, the beard and the hair,, so it works for me.

Checking out your website, I just have to say you make an awesome Silent Bob. Nice attention to detail there :)

Checking out your website, I just have to say you make an awesome Silent Bob. Nice attention to detail there :)
I concur. If you're the same height as Kevin Smith (5'9") you could easily be his body double...might have to cut your hair a bit shorter for that though.

for example I'd love to a clone trooper, but I'd end up loong more like Barf from spaceballs :lol

I swear to God spaceballs was on the other day and I thought to myself how AWESOME a Barf costume would be! Specifically him in ping pong trooper disguise!!!

You wouldn't even need the ears with the helmet, but sans helmet with the ears and everything? That would potentially RAWK if done right! :)

Has anyone ever attempted an accurate Barf hair appliance setup?

Re: Too fat for a Vader?

That is no Moon:

fatvader.jpg

]

I have no idea if this helps but a while back Disney were hiring for Darth Vader at the Florida MGM Studios.

Role Description:
Darth Vader – Male, 6’4”+ with an athletic build and strong movement skills; sword training a plus

Was almost going to go for it but 2 inches too short argh. Although In my wrestling boots 6'5 hmmmm! :p

I have to agree that severe misproportions often hurt the 'look' and are in some cases disgusting.

I'm just thankful that I'm within an inch of Christian Bale so that with a little more PT I could pull off John Connor. Now if only that Alpha B-3 was $500 cheaper...

I think body type is as important to the final look as the costume itself. There was a Vader at fan expo in Toronto who was probably 5"4 with humongous elevator boots that weren't fooling anyone. He had a great looking costume that probably cost an arm and a leg but looked ridiculous.
I'm not trying to slag the guy off, more power to him if he's having fun. But I think it's best to be aware of your limitations and costume within them if you care about how you're going to look.

I don't think you can be too big, tall wise. I bumped into a Vader that had a good two feet on me (I'm 5 foot 4, for reference) and it was damn right menacing.

Wide on the other hand, well, husky can pull it off to an extend, but I think that first picture is pushing the envelope.

Hmm.. well there are 'very' few people the same sort of size as David Prowse was in the movies. He's 6'6" and was a body builder, so fairly large framed without the costume. SO, like yourself, I took it upon myself to do something about it. I'm 6'2", so I added 4" inside the boot, it's hidden for the most part because it only looks odd from the side, and with the shin guards and the cape, nobody will ever notice. From there, I wear a cooling vest that was adjusted to sit high on my chest, which puffs me out and gives the soft impression of pecs. Obviously the rear also had the cooling vest though this is less critical as it's hidden. From there I made a 'tshirt' which muscles of foam that brought the dimensions up to the same size as prowse for the arms and shoulders. Whilst I need a few adjustments elsewhere in the costume, the body shape's right and the head-body ratio, the size of the arms, etc all look right now. It was worth the effort.

Costuming is all in fun. No one should hold it highly enough to put others down for their efforts. If you don't look the part, so what? That round dude isn't Darth Vader, he knows it, so why go on? Costuming is cool to a certain group of people but the general consensus is that it's lame. No costumer is above any other costumer

Costuming is all in fun. No one should hold it highly enough to put others down for their efforts. If you don't look the part, so what? That round dude isn't Darth Vader, he knows it, so why go on? Costuming is cool to a certain group of people but the general consensus is that it's lame. No costumer is above any other costumer

Interesting that this thread is still alive.

Also an interesting comment.

There are those that labor on various boards striving for the best possible costume. its a love of the art, the movie and the fan in them that drives them. Are there costumers above others? Yes, just facts. Really, not to many achieve that level of accuracy, but to those that do they do stand out instantly.

Nitch group? Yea. We are. I can however tell you that most here anyway don't see things as Lame. Stateside maybe, but not here. Its part of the culture. I take a walk in Vader I stop traffic.

The only lame thing I really see from all this is that we are so quick to judge. Really the big guy was at a con, and I am sure he knew he was way to big for a Vader. Took balls to dress in it at all. Kudos to him. Many will never have something like that for the time and effort involved. I will bet that is all custom made save for a few parts. I would also bet that most don't own a custom made anything in their closet. There costumes are from Old Navy, Coach or Ralph Lauren.

To say that I am a better Vader than him is not right, as we are both Vaders, but I am far more accurate. Am I the best? No. There are costumes on this forum that kick my tail. So it just matters what point of view you are looking from.

If I wanted to take a pic with an accurate Vader, I would not approach him. If I wanted to just shake the mans hand and tell him to keep on keeping on I would. The point IS the costume.

I see nothing wrong with him dressing up as Vader. Is he accurate? No. Though, I would think that if he possibly got a better proportioned chest armor and cod that it wouldn't look so disjointed.

I think the taller the better. Bigger? Not distinctly overweight, but "built" like prowse was. Vader is supposed to be an imposing character and portray a sense of unknown, but fearful power, and being big definatly adds to that ideal set of standards.

People are making this issue much too important. Who cares if someone overweight dresses as a spaceman? 7 previous pages, really?

In the rich tapestry of life's grand design, it really doesn't matter. People are dying in Africa, and all that....

Really, live and let live dudes.

The only lame thing I really see from all this is that we are so quick to judge. Really the big guy was at a con, and I am sure he knew he was way to big for a Vader. Took balls to dress in it at all. Kudos to him. Many will never have something like that for the time and effort involved. I will bet that is all custom made save for a few parts. I would also bet that most don't own a custom made anything in their closet. There costumes are from Old Navy, Coach or Ralph Lauren.

To say that I am a better Vader than him is not right, as we are both Vaders, but I am far more accurate. Am I the best? No. There are costumes on this forum that kick my tail. So it just matters what point of view you are looking from.

If I wanted to take a pic with an accurate Vader, I would not approach him. If I wanted to just shake the mans hand and tell him to keep on keeping on I would. The point IS the costume.

Very well stated. I agree with you 100%. Is that fellow screen accurate? No. Does he rock his own variation of the Vader costume? Absolutely! And the man is having fun which is what it's all about.

People have asked me over the years how I as an actor can do what I do with so many others watching. I've been on camera for feature films and TV series, performed on stage in front of thousands, and have appeared on live television for an audience of millions. I don't say that to brag. I have always considered myself to be very fortunate and very blessed to be able to do what I do for a living. I only mention it to say that when people tell me they could never do that and wonder how I can do it, I always say I can do it because it's fun. Yes it's a craft and it's a job. Sometimes it's very hard work. But it's fun to be other characters and personas for a while. That's the core reason why actors act. Plus, it takes more guts to get out there on stage in front of an audience than it does to sit in comfortable theater seats in the anonymity of the darkness. And in my opinion this plus-sized fellow and others who attend conventions in costume have my respect for being enthusiastic, inventive, and fearless.

When I've done signings at conventions I'm always delighted to meet any fan who has their own Vader costume, whether professional and screen accurate or not. Some fans want to pick the brain a guy who has worn the original to get details about aspects of the costume that cannot easily be discerned from watching the films. Most just want to show me their costumes.

I love costumes and props. Always have. It's why I initially got into acting and effects. Even though I'm now a member of both the Screen Actors Guild and the Visual Effects Society, and have had the opportnity to work on dozens of feature films and television projects, you know what? I still love costumes and props! I guess that's why I drop by this forum whenever possible. We're all fellow enthusiasts and fellow artists.

So I salute anyone who attempts to recreate a costume from their favorite film, TV show, etc. More power to them! If your goal is to be screen accurate then it helps to consider height and body type. But if you just want to have fun, then then who am I to criticize?

I have no idea if this helps but a while back Disney were hiring for Darth Vader at the Florida MGM Studios.

Role Description:
Darth Vader – Male, 6’4”+ with an athletic build and strong movement skills; sword training a plus

Was almost going to go for it but 2 inches too short argh. Although In my wrestling boots 6'5 hmmmm! :p

And if you notice, ALL the Disney characters look amazing, because they are built within the proportions.

Now I'm not saying, "Dang! I can't be a stormtrooper because I'm 5'6!" That's absurd, but - as others have said - if you 5'2 and doing a Vader (with no lifts) be prepared to get mocked and people saying that you're the kid from that Volkswagon commercial.

What I don't understand is this: people put so much time and effort to make their costumes look as authentic and 'real' as possible. It is why we're on this website and others that have strict criteria with costumes...right down to the minute details. No one complains about that, everyone seems ok with this.

But if you're 5'10, 280 lbs of predominately fat, with bad knees, shallow breathing, and you're running around pretending to be a biker scout...it looks ridiculous. How can you put SUCH detail in your costume, but not in the most important facet -- your physique?

To me, there should be a criteria to weight proportion. You want to dress up like a stormtrooper? Train like one. You want to be a Royal Guard? Sorry Pal, you're not tall enough.

Why? Because if people work on their weight...not only are they going to *gasp* LOOK better, but they're going to be healthier and live longer. So essentially, if the 501st (for example) put a weight restriction on, one of two things would happen.

1 - People would become health conscious and lose weight so they can wear their costumes.

2 - People will give up (like they probably already do) and sulk.

Not only will the costumes look better, but people all of us will be 'healthier'.

Just my .02

Why? Because if people work on their weight...not only are they going to *gasp* LOOK better, but they're going to be healthier and live longer. So essentially, if the 501st (for example) put a weight restriction on, one of two things would happen.
1 - People would become health conscious and lose weight so they can wear their costumes.

2 - People will give up (like they probably already do) and sulk.

Not only will the costumes look better, but people all of us will be 'healthier'.

Just my .02

LOL Then they start using BMI for measuring and everyone in the 501st is instantly kicked out for "being overwieght" and go off to start a "fat" club with Lance Armstrong

Very well stated. I agree with you 100%. Is that fellow screen accurate? No. Does he rock his own variation of the Vader costume? Absolutely! And the man is having fun which is what it's all about.

People have asked me over the years how I as an actor can do what I do with so many others watching. I've been on camera for feature films and TV series, performed on stage in front of thousands, and have appeared on live television for an audience of millions. I don't say that to brag. I have always considered myself to be very fortunate and very blessed to be able to do what I do for a living. I only mention it to say that when people tell me they could never do that and wonder how I can do it, I always say I can do it because it's fun. Yes it's a craft and it's a job. Sometimes it's very hard work. But it's fun to be other characters and personas for a while. That's the core reason why actors act. Plus, it takes more guts to get out there on stage in front of an audience than it does to sit in comfortable theater seats in the anonymity of the darkness. And in my opinion this plus-sized fellow and others who attend conventions in costume have my respect for being enthusiastic, inventive, and fearless.

When I've done signings at conventions I'm always delighted to meet any fan who has their own Vader costume, whether professional and screen accurate or not. Some fans want to pick the brain a guy who has worn the original to get details about aspects of the costume that cannot easily be discerned from watching the films. Most just want to show me their costumes.

I love costumes and props. Always have. It's why I initially got into acting and effects. Even though I'm now a member of both the Screen Actors Guild and the Visual Effects Society, and have had the opportnity to work on dozens of feature films and television projects, you know what? I still love costumes and props! I guess that's why I drop by this forum whenever possible. We're all fellow enthusiasts and fellow artists.

So I salute anyone who attempts to recreate a costume from their favorite film, TV show, etc. More power to them! If your goal is to be screen accurate then it helps to consider height and body type. But if you just want to have fun, then then who am I to criticize?

I don't want to sound cold or purposely play "Devil's Advocate." But considering that you are an actor, you probably have an agent, etc. and you get auditions, break-downs, etc.

You get two scripts: "Male, 40-49, African American, British accent. Blahblahblah...."

"Male, 25-35, *no ethnic description*, long hair, rock star. Blahblahblah...

Let's say for arguments sake that you're 28 years old, Caucasian, long hair, and you're the bassist on the side for some cover band. You audition for both...

Without going into, "Well if I pull a great performance, race really isn't that important..." But let's be honest: Hollywood puts much emphasis on race, gender, etc.

Dude, what's your point?!

My point is this: character description is VERY important...especially in your profession. If I see a casting call for "Union actors wanted. Fit, athletic, muscular males wanted as extras for (insert movie). Stage combat and martial arts skills a plus!! I need to be:
-In SAG
-In-shape
-Probably need to understand stage combat and/or some form of fighting.

Now, if I don't meet the criteria, I'm not going to get the job (lol, well as an extra, it might not matter, but you see my point).

Now I understand that this is cosplay. That this is a hobby and it shouldn't need crazy strict requirements because it is fun.

But the fact is, things like the 501st already HAVE strict requirements. And everyone accepts that. But weight proportion and HEALTH awareness...no. We're going to ignore that.

*shrugs*

I feel it's important.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back