Too big for Darth Vader?

Vaders Myspace pic:lol:lol:lol.

Tuba i started this thread to see what other peoples tolerance were to a 'not so accurate body-age type.' I can see that my thread title was a little confusing now. I dont want to do a Vader costume for myself I just picked 'Big Vader' as an example. I cant afford to be overweight, I have too much money ivested in motorcycle leathers:love. I am glad to see that the general consensus is that people should just be what they want to be. Maybe Ill be a six foot Cha Ka for halloween!

My funny costume Idea was to be an Ewok that overdosed on steroids, make it a rediculously mucled fur suit with a regular ewok head on it. Always thought that it would be hilarious.

As for the Vader, I honestly would not do it if you didn't have the appopriate height/build, but that's just me. That's why you'll never see me do a full Jango/boba/TK

For reference, I am 6'6" tall and somewhere just under 300lbs. I feel I have a decent build for vader, but I can always hit the gym and lose a few pounds. Now, I don't think you've said what your size is, Lear60man?

Here's me in a rubies vader (i know, i know) just to give you an idea

tubachris_1VADER.jpg

002-71.jpg

Oh btw, that first guy in the vader on page 1 is something I'd tell him to avoid....:unsure

-TC

You look fantastic in the suit. You tower over the jedi!

i agree with most people here, im 6'6" and about 230 lbs, i would NEVER try and squeeze into a stormtrooper, spiderman, or any of those types of costumes just because im to damn big, and i realize that i would look retarded as a 6 and a half foot tall spiderman walking around, or a stormtrooper hovering over every single vader. while cost has prohibited me from buying most of these costumes anyway, I have got a jason voorhees costume, because i knew i was tall enough to pull it off without looking like an idiot.

I believe in a canon look. I think most people try to match their body type to an appropriate character because let's face it, we all want to look as close to the movie character as possible. For those that like to push the boundaries, all the power to them, I think that is fine because the main thing is that you enjoy costuming. That being said, there were times I wished I could do something other than Vader like a stormtrooper but it just wouldn't look right to have a group of similar height stormtroopers and then one tall one. If you are average height there are more options, but if you are tall there is, what....Vader or a Wookie? As far as how people view grown adults costuming, how different is it from adults dressing up for Halloween? It is an escape and personally for me it was like therapy to just enjoy being on stage so to speak. I've seen so many hard-nosed teenagers act like school kids when they see a Vader...their guard goes down because you've let your guard down and show that we can all have some fun once in a while...

Here's a shot of a LFL Vader next to a Vader from my Garrison

gallery_83_94963.jpg

The LFL Vader is C. Andrew Nelson at 6'5" on the right in the pic
Our guy is about 5'2" and on the left (he's also on Drywall stilts)
So anything is possible

Last edited:

gallery_83_94963.jpg

So anything is possible

YESSSS! That would be William! He is the one person that made me feel like I could pull off Vader if I ever tried to. I just haven't had the budget to do a Vader. I am already properly sized and proportioned for almost any other costume in Star Wars. I figure I can do a stormtrooper, clone, scout, tie/atat pilot, fett, royal guard, snowtrooper, death star gunner, rebel soldier, jedi, etc etc. The one that I would love to be able to match is Chris Bartletts C3PO costume. I'll never be small enough for that. I would have been able to do it in high school.

gallery_83_94963.jpg

So anything is possible

Well ho-lee crap, that's crazy. I can only imagine he's staring out of the neck vent, because his shoulders look like they're stopping at the bottom of the armor, with the shoulder bells tilted downward to help disguise it. But I wouldn't have ever been looking for things like that unless you had mentioned it.

That's damned inspirational right there, man.

gallery_83_94963.jpg

So anything is possible

Wait, your guy is on the left of the picture...in the far superior costume? Are you sure your guy is not the Vader on the right?

Re: Too fat for a Vader?

Well... if it makes them happy, why spoil it for them?

now behind their backs??? :lol
Take this for example... no idea where I found it
fatvader.jpg

Personally, I'd say he is too fat for Vader. If I looked like him I would not wear THAT costume.

then too he might have JUST had a big bowl of chili the night before.

Thats a member here!!

As I've said before, my goal is to be taller then kids, because that's why I went with a Vader costume.

DCC028-vi.jpg

I'm another 5'8" guy, no stilts I use 3" inner-boot lifts to reach 6'5" in costume.

I'm taller then Obi-Wan and he's like 6'0"
cc_07_239-vi.jpg

I'm taller them Padme
vader10-vi.jpg

And at least I'm taller then most of the RL/501st that I troop with. the Jango is like 6'1".
IMG_1487-vi.jpg

I actually think the vader from CIV did a great job. If you make the costume proportion to your body type then it looks good. I have a friend who wanted to do a vader who is a little on the big side. Could someone pm me who that vader was maybe he can help my friend out.

You have to remember that this is all in good fun for costuming. It was a con that he wore it to not a television show for LFL.

Thats just my thought.

Andrew

I think that the guys who are well over 6 feet, approaching 6'6", and over 220-ish pounds are best suited (pardon the pun) for the Original Trilogy Vader look. They would be closer to the size of Dave Prowse and should capture that look nicely.

For those of us who are not that tall and have lighter builds, the ROTS Vader whould be the better choice - IMHO. Christensen is 6'1" tall. That's my height and as I'm about 175 pounds soakin' wet, I figure I have a similar build. With 1.75 inch lifts on the heels of my boots, inserts in the soles and the height from my Master Replicas Vader lid, I hit close enough to 6'6" in full gear to impress the be-jeepers out of anyone I've ever encountered.

Huzz

Let's take this to another Level then . We have been talking about LARGE Vaders mostly to this point . See in that photo a post above of the Star Wars costumers standing in front of the "Fulfill your destiny " sign ?
Now Let's talk Stormtroopers. The Trooper on the left , looks very much like what we saw in the films [size wise ] ....... Cept for the Larger bucket maybe . BUT.....The Trooper on the right [same costume ] , looks noticeably larger and broader and somewhat short . And doesn't pull off that same screen "sameness " ! I've seen alot of Tk's that range from VERY VERY Short . To very very rotund . The stormtrooper armor requires one to be pretty slim and fairly long legged tall in order to pull off the screen accurate proper "Look " . Sure we all do this for the funfactor . But if one wants to do an iconic film character justice.....They should at least be close to the correct body dimensions if they want to do it right ! People DO notice . Even those that are not costumers themselves.

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. And like Neon Sentry says, I'm torn as well.

Over on the Brotherhood of the Bat, there's a few guys who really shouldn't be in a Batman costume, whether it's rubber armor, and especially spandex. There's not only a physical obstacle, but an age one as well, that really needs to be considered before even attempting putting it on.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob or anything, especially since the BOTB IS mainly there to help others in fixing up a licensed suit, to make it more wearable or decent looking, as well as showing techniques on how to make your own. Yeah, a bunch of guys make and offer their custom/fan made pieces, which are FAR better than anything out there, and is fully appreciated by people like me, who have no desire to sculpt and mold a cowl themselves.

But at least make sure you'll look presentable while in the thing. Ya' know? I'm not saying I'm the epitome of Bruce Wayne (far from it), but I'm not THAT far off.

A Foamies Batsuit CAN be made to look pretty good... But even a professionally made, high quality set of armor, wrapped around a chubby-wub, looks good to no one. Not even to a little kid. It's like looking at the mouth breathing, milky white skinned fatties who put on a Leia Slave Bikini outfit.... Just. Don't.

I remember seeing a few local guys, where I live, who got dressed up for The Phantom Headache, in their FX Trooper gear. One of the guys stood out like a sore thumb, because you could tell that his buddies had used white duct tape to strap the 300 pounder into the armor, to the point of where his black bodysuit (some nylon/lycra suit), was BULGING out between the armor segments, that were on the very close verge of cracking wide open, form the stress of the guy.

That's not right.

As much fun as the guy must have had in it, by fulfilling a fantasy he had.... Just. Don't.

I can fully understand how a lot of folks (TMP included), who want to keep things a certain level of quality, as far as costume accuracy and quality go, as well as physical fitness, within that costume. I can fully understand and appreciate starting a group that has higher standards than other groups. As long as it isn't done in a way where one "group" never looks down upon or treats those who either don't fit that criteria or even WISH to fit that criteria.

I think the 300dc forum that Got Maul started, is exactly the right role model to use, in regards to treating people respectfully. It's a great site and they all have a wonderful focus that should be commended.

But then, so's the BOTB, for what it's for. It helps people who've always wanted to a Batman suit of their own, PLUS it also "nicely" passes on info about losing the gut, so you don't look more like "Fatman". :lol Sometimes the advice is taken well and if that info/advice goes in one ear and out the other, then so be it. At least they're having fun.

The 501st guys are obviously the elite Trooping group. And they're well within their right to have high demands. Or else you get the chubs that I mentioned earlier. A LARGE portion of the 501st guys I know of, are cool as could be and have nothing but the highest regard for others, who costume too.

But they sure DO have their share of bad eggs. :unsure Fortunately they seem to be the minority in the Garisson's. Except it seems because of them, that minority causes a stereotype that they're ALL conceited. Which is unfortunate, because of the charity work they do, is above and beyond all other groups in the world, who do that sort of thing.

I'd LOVE to put together a Predator or Vader suit. And I think those who know me, know I'd do the costumes as well as were done on film, at least. But I'd never attempt them, because not only do I not have the physique for it, but I'm only 5'-10" tall. That's okay for Iron Man or a Stormtrooper, but not Vader or a Pred. They need to be TALL. And I won't feel comfy wearing lifts or padding or anything.

I know plenty of other guys who do just that... They pad themselves up the ying-yang and jack up their height as much as possible and they look like they stepped right off the screen and you wouldn't ever notice.

But I'm more conscious of my own comfort, to even attempt that. Sweating for 12 hours in an Assassin's Creed costume is one thing. Doing that on stilts is another.

Aaaaannnnnd, that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Echosix - I concur. Mostly!

I think both you and I would make good Stormtroopers. Like I said, I'm about as close to Hayden Christensen as one could hope to get in height and weight so I can do good justice to the ROTS Vader look.

But I think that there is a range of height / weight combos that can also look good. For a Vader, I agree that an Original Trilogy Vader would not be the best choice for you. Or me - I quickly ruled it out because I just ain't big enough. However, you may wish to consider a ROTS Vader at some point. It could work!

Huzz

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back