Tony Stark Arc Reactor Question

Got my kit. To clarify a few things, i paid 38 dollars with shipping, it came with the plug, it came with the copper ring(you might see it under the black circle), it took about four hours to build(three hours wrapping the copper wire), and it was from Mando.

One last thing, I haven’t done the soldered bridges yet. I bought some brass colored wire to do it, and I tried using super glue to simulate solder joints, but it looked terrible and just made a mess of the thing, so I ripped all of that off and sanded it back down. I’ll update when I figure out what I want to do

This gives me hope that the second one I ordered will actually be a real arc reactor. For the soldered bridges, I was thinking of actually soldering the wires on some smooth metal and then popping them off so I can glue that to the reactor.

Update! So I bought some rigid brass wire at a craft store in the jewelry section. I then snipped apart a brass fastener(those document binding brads) and soldered the wire to the bits of brass clippings.

Pardon my shoddy soldering, but tony stark DID build this in a cave, with a box of scraps.

Attachments

• CA561345-9EE4-4D70-B700-0B111AF15214.jpeg
    CA561345-9EE4-4D70-B700-0B111AF15214.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 227
I'm also building a Mark 1 from one of these Mando/Wish kits. Any advice on removing the metal cover from this plug? (Or am I mistaken that it would be more accurate without it?) Thanks!

IMG_20190520_174348.jpg

The pins probably need to be removed individually?

(leaving no housing)

but I dont have mine/one in hand to confirm

Last edited:
I'm also building a Mark 1 from one of these Mando/Wish kits. Any advice on removing the metal cover from this plug? (Or am I mistaken that it would be more accurate without it?) Thanks!

View attachment 1021003

I think you're mistaken in wanting to remove it. Watching the scene where Pepper is doing the surgery, when Tony yanks out the old one and hands it to her you can clearly see the metal cover in contrast against Pepper's black shirt. When Obadiah Stane steals the mk2 reactor you see the exact same connector on the end, which makes sense considering they're connecting to the same plate.

I think you're mistaken in wanting to remove it. Watching the scene where Pepper is doing the surgery, when Tony yanks out the old one and hands it to her you can clearly see the metal cover in contrast against Pepper's black shirt. When Obadiah Stane steals the mk2 reactor you see the exact same connector on the end, which makes sense considering they're connecting to the same plate.

Interesting. Thanks for that! (I confess my copy of the movie has gone missing. I hope to pick another copy up today.) It seems the idea it should be taken off comes from these two photos, which I'm told are from the prop being auctioned?

ArcReactor_Hires1.jpg
ArcReactor-2.jpg

I take that photo for being authentic, but we all know what happens to props during and after filming. I might upgrade mine in the future

Interesting. Thanks for that! (I confess my copy of the movie has gone missing. I hope to pick another copy up today.) It seems the idea it should be taken off comes from these two photos, which I'm told are from the prop being auctioned?

View attachment 1021236View attachment 1021237

YouTube is what I use to double check things. You can go frame by frame through a clip using the < and > keys, which is also invaluable.

There's no doubt about it, in the film the pins aren't exposed like they are in that picture.

I suspect the prop was either altered to make the wire fit nicer in the "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart" case, or that the metal casing slipped off sometime during production (possibly during the smashing of said case).

Just built my Mando Mk1 arc reactor, which was delivered a few days ago (to the UK from a seller on eBay).

My version had the copper coils pre-wound - you needed to just literally slide them over black plastic inserts and then slide the whole coil onto the clear ring, bracketing each coil with the end stops. The coils are wound with the 'bridging wires' already connected so you just need to slide the loose ends through pre-drilled small holes in each end stop, secure them with a dab of glue for safety, trim the ends and then paint the moulded 'solder' connections silver. Much less effort than having to wind all the coils from wire manually! :)

The quality of the parts was excellent, it all fitted together really well and from what I can tell the accuracy is pretty good too.

Unlit.jpg Lit.jpg

So I just got the display in the mail, from the same seller on Wish that I bought the Arc Reactor MK1 kit from. Gotta say, very impressed with everything. The "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart" disc is (along with the other pieces) in fact metal. Everything was packed super tight and neat, as was the MK1. Not sure how to assemble it (glass?) but I'll know more when I completely open it up at home. Spent $50 in all, seriously couldn't be happier.
IMG_6856.jpg
IMG_6857.jpg

There's no doubt about it, in the film the pins aren't exposed like they are in that picture.
I'm not sure. There's a frame that looks like the plug is in profile --
-- with the plugs extending out beyond everything else. My interpretation is there was a metal ring on the black plastic part that's gone missing, but it looks like it didn't shroud the pins.

A bit the bullet and bought one for $18. Fingers crossed, not sure which one I’m going to actually get

What link did you use?

I didnt see an $18 version/variant anywhere..

Shipping usually adds around $12-$16 to your 'product price' as well...

(this is pre-shipping costs.....yes?) :)

What link did you use?

I didnt see an $18 version/variant anywhere..

Shipping usually adds around $12-$16 to your 'product price' as well...

(this is pre-shipping costs.....yes?) :)

I looked this morning and most were around $30. Then this afternoon I saw the $18 version. It said if I added it to my cart I would get a discount so I did it and then there was a count down bar. It said I would get another discount if I ordered within the hour, so I ordered. It was $22 total shipped

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back