Tom's Custom Obi Wan saber

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I couldn't pass up a piece of Khal's engine. I am amazed at the scorching, the black soot and gunk that coats this male balance pipe. I can't wait to find a real correct version someday

The male MP has holes inside the main tube as well - 6 in total

IMG_2942.jpegIMG_2944.jpeg

Now, it looks a little ridiculous on the MK1. I know, I thought I would try anyways.
IMG_2946.jpegIMG_2941.jpeg
But then I remembered I have an MK2! I used a rivet nut wrapped in gaff tape, a piece of threaded road and a Camera tripod nut. It was a heavy duty nut with straight knurling that sits up inside the grenade. Like... tripod nuts without the screw post, just the hole. Why don't we use these for Obi Wan sabers more often? Camera nuts are great!

IMG_2938.jpegIMG_2940.jpeg
IMG_2947.jpeg

I think this started a new project

I got the same female version sitting on my Obi, there it stays until I find a real replacement. I was going to buy a Romans and put it there for the time being. I just can’t get myself to do it. Lol
They are super cool little pipes. You got a great price too, I paid over double for mine.

Last edited:
Thank you! It does look really cool on the Obi, I'm spoiled and have another grenade lying around

are Romans Empire emitters one solid piece now? I was thinking about buying a BP and scorching it like the originals because this Russ/Boba Debt Weathered one is really good, but a little too brown for my tastes now. I just wouldn't want to buy a BP that didn't have a separate cone or something.

Nice! That looks very cool! I've always thought the smaller assembly balance pipes would look great as a ROTS Obi part. I've done some weathering on Romans more recent balance pipes which are indeed one part, I'll attach some photos, it's possible to weather them properly, just requires some masking and careful work.

DA8DBA1F-751B-4C78-AB89-675260F564AB.jpeg

640577D9-63EA-49BA-BCF8-5235149B0F61.jpeg

are Romans Empire emitters one solid piece now?
Yes.

At first I made them press-fit, but I'd get a bunch of emails from customers stating they couldn't press them together.

So then I loosened the assembly a bit, and recommended a couple drops of glue or other epoxy to lock them together... so then I started getting emails that they would not lock together, so I'd reply about using glue... then I'd get replies stating they didn't like the idea of using glue... *sigh*

So long story short, yes, they are 1-piece now. :)

Nice! That looks very cool! I've always thought the smaller assembly balance pipes would look great as a ROTS Obi part. I've done some weathering on Romans more recent balance pipes which are indeed one part, I'll attach some photos, it's possible to weather them properly, just requires some masking and careful work.

View attachment 1409315
View attachment 1409316
Oh man, I like that you did! Thee char and side scrapes are very believable. Is that just blueing and motor oil? asking for a friend :rolleyes:

Yes.

At first I made them press-fit, but I'd get a bunch of emails from customers stating they couldn't press them together.

So then I loosened the assembly a bit, and recommended a couple drops of glue or other epoxy to lock them together... so then I started getting emails that they would not lock together, so I'd reply about using glue... then I'd get replies stating they didn't like the idea of using glue... *sigh*

Oh *****, I get it now. Thanks sir!

It's a combination of things! Torch work some sandblasting, lathe work, quenching in Parks 50, more torches etc :) it's a bit nuanced, but send me a PM and I'll write up a better order of ops for you!

Yes.

The new one piece design, does it have a set screw drilled in the emitter still?

Roman is that have a 3/8" thread in it? By the way thanks for sharing the video on how to get the dang AS handwheel apart. I came close to really wrenching on it with all my strength with a large flat head screwdriver. Lol

Yes, it's a 3/8-16 :)

Glad the video helped!! I actually cracked the barrel on my very first AS sink knob... :( I had no idea the pieces were locked together, but live an learn! :)

Yes, it's a 3/8-16 :)

Glad the video helped!! I actually cracked the barrel on my very first AS sink knob... :( I had no idea the pieces were locked together, but live an learn! :)
Is it the same thread on the wind-vane? Sorry for the OT, but it is something I always wondered if these can be combined with a simple grub screw or something like that

No worries guys! I don't have any parts to fill the booster or pommel part of this build so I need to search for similar parts. This is all really useful info for piecing one of these together

The 3/8 rod (3/8-16...16 is just the length) is the american size that will best fit inside the neck of the grenade. I don't know what threading the actual inside of the grenade neck is, you can take the rod section and try screwing it into metric thread sample boards or something. You're right, you can just use that threading and put a nut in the grenade of that thread count. The 3/8 rod needs a nut in the emitter and a nut at the other end of the rod somewhere. I only have a grenade so far, so my 3/8 rod here is only like 4 inches long, with one nut inside the grenade and one stuffed into the emitter.

I got a 3 footer at home depot and it was labelled a 3/8-36, which is why I thought that... huh!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back