Tomenosuke blaster assembly kit tips and tricks, help the new builders

OH MY GOD
there is nothing worst when a model, prop, toy, pen, hardware, etc.. has a small spring loaded piece that can be launched like a darn rocket and vanish into thin air.
When I took apart my 2049 blaster to figure out why the cylinder/trigger was jamming. I forgot about that tiny spring piece, but luckily I caught it before it launched into nowhere.

And a warning, even when the cylinder latch plunger is locked in place, its never locked in place, its still loose. So, be careful cause I'm very careful with that cylinder lock piece whenever I open the cylinder.

OH MY GOD
there is nothing worst when a model, prop, toy, pen, hardware, etc.. has a small spring loaded piece that can be launched like a darn rocket and vanish into thin air.

Well, they are based on real guns and real guns are full of strangely inconvenient pins and plugs and springs and detents just like that! I hard launched a detent into my forehead while working on my AR one night. It hit so hard it literally embedded itself into my skin and stayed there!

I assume you are talking about this little guy?

View attachment 978271

I hope this helps:
View attachment 978272

My calipers only have 2 digits using metric.

The pin is 6.46mm long
with an outer diameter of 1.77mm
the shoulder is cut in 2.45mm
with an outside diameter of 0.92mm
Both ends of the pins are chamfered. I measured it at 0.20mm, but in reality it is probably closer to 0.15mm.

This piece can probably be easily hand machined with 2mm stock or even something as simple as a 13 gauge nail.

Luckily I have not worked up the courage to start my kit so it is sitting nice and clean in the piece bins. Best of luck on you build! post pics!

Thank you! Yes have had to make my own xD would buy a real one if it were easy, but in the UK it's very difficult! and yes the cylinder latch system seems really touchy in of itself!

Also can't find an answer to the trigger question. I can get it to 'fire' and cycle the hammer, but the cylinder doesn't turn. What's the right way to put it in the 'hand' and spring? I know it has to press forward and up into the chamber, but there's no pressure to make it do it at the moment.
50487812_2335519030003155_5987543658868506624_n.jpg

Also can't find an answer to the trigger question. I can get it to 'fire' and cycle the hammer, but the cylinder doesn't turn. What's the right way to put it in the 'hand' and spring? I know it has to press forward and up into the chamber, but there's no pressure to make it do it at the moment.

Your spring is installed in the correct orientation. However, it is wrapped around the wrong points. The long arm of the spring should be behind that little tab on the side of the "hand' piece, and the short arm of the spring should be on the other side of the trigger. Here is a little mock up.

trigger.jpg

The tension on the spring should make the "hand" almost want to lay flat against the trigger.

Your spring is installed in the correct orientation. However, it is wrapped around the wrong points. The long arm of the spring should be behind that little tab on the side of the "hand' piece, and the short arm of the spring should be on the other side of the trigger. Here is a little mock up.

View attachment 978878

The tension on the spring should make the "hand" almost want to lay flat against the trigger.

:D :D :D :D thank you!! Could not figure it out. Time to install!

Well this is the thread I need to read :)

I just started painting, polishing etc the parts of the kit - as I'm pretty much a novice with this sort of thing, please don't anyone take what I do as the right way to do anything - it almost certainly isn't, as i'm sure to find out :)

I polished the metal parts first with P600 3M wet and dry paper, then with a Dremel and polishing compound. Seemed to go ok. I'm not after a super-mirror finish. For the black painted parts I actually used some gloss black engine paint I had lying around and thinned it to go through an airbrush. Again, seemed to go ok. I've already weathered some of those parts too. The grips I polished again with the Dremel and I used a car polish (Autoglym super-resin polish) which did a nice job (one done and one not in the pic below).

Please feel free to rant at me for sullying such an expensive kit with my terrible techniques :) Any advice welcome. I've got the Birchwood Casey bluing kit which I'll be cracking open tomorrow :)

View attachment 743820View attachment 743821View attachment 743819

Hi,

Your smarts would be very much appreciated.

I recently got hold of the 2049 blaster. There is a small nick at the bottom of the bolt receiver that seems to be as a result of the powder coat process. Although small, it is annoying me. Is there any way of treating it?

Thanks

Mike

20190128_203552.jpg

Hey everyone.
I was thinking it could be a good idea to start a thread for the assembly kit run, if anyone has questions that more experienced guys can help with, since we all are receiving our blasters at the same time and are all going to start building them.
I hope this is ok and that you are not all going to say that everything is already out there.

I personally have a few questions for mine regarding mostly the painting and metal treatment.

- what you experimented guys recommend for bluing the metal parts? Is Aluminum black from Birchwood Casey the go to and does it work on all the different alloys in the kit or are there other brands or products?
I'm having troubles finding aluminium black locally. I contacted a big drugstore in Brussels and they said they had different Hematite products for different kinds of metals but I'm scared to use something I haven't heard of. Don't know if the super blue from Birchwood Casey is just actual Hematite and I'll get the same result with the one from the drugstore. I'm really looking for help on that since I really don't want to mess this up. It's hard to test as the metal is a particular alloy and it will be hard to test on a scrap part and I have none and I guess we kind of have to test directly on the actual parts.

- primer and paint for the black parts, any brands in particular or advices for that part? I was reading good comments on tamiya but wasn't able to get some here and bought a "sparVar" primer and glossy black spray but I'm scared to use that as it seems a bit cheap.

- When adding a replacement steel barrel for the tomenosuke, can we use the same product as the other alloy parts or do we have to use actual steel gun blue?

- What do you recommend to polish the grips? I have a guitar varnish polish compound that I'm planning to use but don't know if there is anything in particular that is more recommended.

- Do you sand/adjust the grips and metal frame shapes for them to match? they don't totally match as they come and it seems that the actual movie prop has them matching perfectly.

Any other tips that you guys think of?
I must say that the kit is incredible and that I wanted to build it right away, cleared my table and started. I was saying to my girlfriend, "this is the best day of my life!" It's just super fun to assemble! I had to stop because I guess all the parts should be painted and treated before assembly to avoid assembling, un-assembling and assembling again...

I really hope that thread is ok, I'm really looking forward for your tips, any help will be very much appreciated. :)
thanks a lot :thumbsup

Ugh, so I'm halfway into my kit, past all the hard stuff, and I just found out the cylinder ejector nut is missing from the kit. No way I lost it, its a relatively big fastener and I was real careful with keeping all small parts in a box. Anyway, anyone know if HCG or maybe Mune will ship spare parts? It's kind of a weird shaped cylinder threaded on one end and rounded on the other, kinda like the clicker button on a cheap pen.

I can't even remember Mune's screen name, is he still around ?

Ugh, so I'm halfway into my kit, past all the hard stuff, and I just found out the cylinder ejector nut is missing from the kit. No way I lost it, its a relatively big fastener and I was real careful with keeping all small parts in a box. Anyway, anyone know if HCG or maybe Mune will ship spare parts? It's kind of a weird shaped cylinder threaded on one end and rounded on the other, kinda like the clicker button on a cheap pen.

I can't even remember Mune's screen name, is he still around ?

Mune will ship spare parts – he has in the past, anyway. Just shoot him an email and be ready to reference the part number from the instruction book.

I’ll PM you his email address.

Mune will ship spare parts – he has in the past, anyway. Just shoot him an email and be ready to reference the part number from the instruction book.

I’ll PM you his email address.

Thanks Jedi. Mune replied and he's away for a bit but hopefully can help when he's back. I'm so inpatient that I pulled this part from my other tomen and proceeded with my ghost build. Then just as I was finishing realized the two butt plate bolts are also missing. Ah well, used one bolt from each model and hung them on my wall anyway :p

OH MY GOD
When I took apart my 2049 blaster to figure out why the cylinder/trigger was jamming. I forgot about that tiny spring piece, but luckily I caught it before it launched into nowhere.

And a warning, even when the cylinder latch plunger is locked in place, its never locked in place, its still loose. So, be careful cause I'm very careful with that cylinder lock piece whenever I open the cylinder.

Any other advice on disassembly? I just got my Tomenosuke Blaster 2019 and I’m ready to take it apart and put it back together. This is my first Blaster and I’m obsessed with it and want to build it myself. It came pretty loose in multiple areas and has gotten looser since I got it. Granted I play with it as if I’m a child but why not right it’s too expensive not to enjoy. Can’t take it with ya.

Taking apart carefully is a must, but I had a hell of a time figuring out the screws when I rebuilt. I'm positive some of them shouldn't be where they are, and it's still loose.

Taking apart carefully is a must, but I had a hell of a time figuring out the screws when I rebuilt. I'm positive some of them shouldn't be where they are, and it's still loose.

I actually put mine back together very nicely! Everything is pretty snug now except the cylinder which is still a little loose especially with the dummies in it but not as loose as before. Although I’m down a screw from the trigger guard because I was being a brute for no reason and stripped it with the Allen wrench *facepalm* After that I was VERY careful with everything else all the way up until I put the 2 short screws into the Steyr receiver to secure it to the barrel and even tho I was careful I still accidentally stripped a bit of the threading rendering the screw on the left side useless but the right sides good. If those 2 screws were just a little longer it would’ve been perfect. All in all she’s like new and I’m ready to upgrade and replace some parts. I’m in love again.. and it’s with a movie prop

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back