Tom Spina Restorations

PumpkinKing

Has anybody used Tom Spina designs for a restoration or custom display? I was just interested in how the process works and rough price range. Do you have a one on one meeting with them to discuss the details? Or is it all done through email or phone? Do you just ship the prop to them?

I'd suggest dropping an email to Tom. He's an incredibly approachable and talented guy. Always happy to answer questions and emails. Two thumbs up from me.

I'd suggest dropping an email to Tom. He's an incredibly approachable and talented guy. Always happy to answer questions and emails. Two thumbs up from me.
I wouldn’t want to waste his time with such a basic question. I don’t have any immediate plans to use his services I was just curious if anybody could share how the process works. I’ve never had a custom display made but am thinking about it in the future.

Surely only Tom would be able to give you price quotes for his services and give you an idea of how his process works?

Up to you man. Just trying to help by saying that the quote for services and the way it would be approached is dependant on the piece in question. You'd be better contacting the person that you're thinking of using to do the service as other members here will only be able to talk about their own projects which may be totally different to the way Tom would want to handle your specific project. It really doesn't hurt to just shoot him an email. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll be able to give you some ideas about it.

You don’t think anybody on the Rpf has used his services and could vaguely describe the process, lead time etc.? Ok

The cost depend on time spend, materials etc. So for every project the cost are different. They are not cheap and probably are more expensive than you'd think, but they are rightfully so. As has been said, shoot them an email (with photos). I bet they should be able to give you a rough quote. From what I have heard you have to wait in line though, as even before corona they were very busy.

Exactly what AvZ said. Shoot them an email. They will ask for pics and an overview of what you want done. Then you get a quote. Easy peasy unless its a very complex job that may need a physical examination. He and his team are simply the best. Not cheap and you don't want them to be.

Yes, I should have clarified that I was referring to contacting Tom Spina's website as a whole, rather than Tom as a specific individual (although it's highly likely that Tom himself will reply).

He has a whole staff that is happy to give estimates. They have amazing customer service.

I know Tom personally and I have seen the work he has done for Lucasfilm in the Skywalker Archives.

As other folk here have said, he's a top man and the work he does is of the highest order.

Best of luck,
M

I have been in touch with his studio to have two items restored. One having a possible display made for it as well.

each time they asked for pictures and details as what I wanted done. After a few days I received a quote. I passed on having the one done. They ask for half up front and prices can go up and down of course. Once they have it in their hands they can give a better quote on the cost. The othe item was to be sent to their office to start the process of restoration. Only a Death in the family cause me to neglect the project. I contacted them a few months later to explain. Of course they totaly understood and told me that the office is backed up at the moment. So I would hear from them in the fall ( it was late spring at this time). Tom doesn’t like projects just sitting around his office gathering dust waiting from i was told. Never heard back from them. Just talked with them back in March / April of this year. Christine ( lady I deal with) was very nice and very apologetic about it. She explained the office was very busy and backed up. Not a problem since it happens. So I am slated to send my project in a few weeks once the office opens back up.

Hit them up and see what they have to say. Not sure when New York is slated to open up. But doesn’t hurt to try and get your project in line before they get hammered.

I have been in touch with his studio to have two items restored. One having a possible display made for it as well.

each time they asked for pictures and details as what I wanted done. After a few days I received a quote. I passed on having the one done. They ask for half up front and prices can go up and down of course. Once they have it in their hands they can give a better quote on the cost. The othe item was to be sent to their office to start the process of restoration. Only a Death in the family cause me to neglect the project. I contacted them a few months later to explain. Of course they totaly understood and told me that the office is backed up at the moment. So I would hear from them in the fall ( it was late spring at this time). Tom doesn’t like projects just sitting around his office gathering dust waiting from i was told. Never heard back from them. Just talked with them back in March / April of this year. Christine ( lady I deal with) was very nice and very apologetic about it. She explained the office was very busy and backed up. Not a problem since it happens. So I am slated to send my project in a few weeks once the office opens back up.

Hit them up and see what they have to say. Not sure when New York is slated to open up. But doesn’t hurt to try and get your project in line before they get hammered.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for when starting this thread, an actual experience of somebodies, not just telling me to “just email them”.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for when starting this thread, an actual experience of somebodies, not just telling me to “just email them”.

no problem, super easy to deal with. Just remember they are a tad pricey. But they are the best around and worth it from everything I’ve seen and hear about.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back