Tom Servo Finished!!

Nice! That looks like a very clean casting.

Yeah, Randy's work is top of the line. If you want the best bot parts, go to him. So glad I got an engine from him. It took forever but it was sooo worth it.

OMG! He hacked and painted an ORIGINAL HOLY GRAIL engine block?!? :confused

Words, not...

...humanity, lost...

...faith, failing. :wacko

Yeah, I know.

The guy cut into the real engine block. Thank goodness there's not detail around that area. Randy/Gary's cast obviously restores that missing curve section.

Engine%20Block%20-%20Top%20Shot.jpg

What happened was the guy that found the engine, threw the car out (which he really regrets), and painted and glued it onto his Servo. After he posted pictures of it on the bot builder yahoo group did everyone started freaking out about the engine. Soon, the guy ripped the engine off and sent it to Gary Glover, the person who worked with BBI and wrote the official Bot Builder's Guide.

Gary made a mold of the engine and produced several casts. After that, he repainted the real engine and sent it back to the engine founder. Those pics in my previous post are from Gary. Randy sells a recast of Gary's engine, but Gary doesn't sell bot parts anymore so I guess it's okay.

Hey, I'm just really, really glad that we FINALLY have casts of the real engine instead of scratchbuilds. We still have no idea where the hands for Servo are from either. But we do have casts of them (I believe from a screen-used Servo).

Yup, he'll definitely be coming with me to DragonCon, ashden! I need to figure out a way to pack him and Crow up safely with me, lol.

I found another picture of the under-engine in my friend's archives:

tom%20servo%20real%20engine%20block%201.jpg

You can see part of the pink plastic underneath one of the exhaust pipes.

Nice to see the bots getting some love! :)

I think I remember reading somewhere that the hands for Servo came from a Jerry Mahoney ventriloquist dummy toy. One of the many things I picked up whilst researching and buying bot parts.

Edit: Here's that source- Neal Bridges' Bots: Tom Servo, This is Your Life!

Ahh, Neil Bridges's site. While he is correct with some details, other details he isn't. I did a LOT of research on these hands, to no avail. My friend Ron and myself emailed a few ventriloquist collectors and said they never saw hands like Servo's before...and viewing hundreds of ventriloquist dolls on eBay also confirmed that idea.

Servo%20Hands%20Comparison.jpg

ts4hands.jpg

They're either from a ventriloquist doll or from a baby doll. The dimples on the hands suggest a baby doll, but personally, I think the hands are too big and masculine looking to be from a baby doll. The first picture shows the original unaltered hands that Neil used to have. I contacted him about the source of those hands, but he said he couldn't remember and he sold them to a collector in England. I asked him to ask the current owner to send me some pics, but alas, I haven't received another word from him after that.

That's my page. I owned that pair of original hands. The seller told me they were Jerry Mahoney hands, but he may have just been using the name as a general term to describe vent figures, and of course he could have been wrong. They were loose, and not part of a figure when I bought them.

There were so many different Mahoneys, and a bunch of knock-offs and similar-tos. It's a whole field of study by itself.

I did write the buyer; no reply. I've just asked again.

That's my page. I owned that pair of original hands. The seller told me they were Jerry Mahoney hands, but he may have just been using the name as a general term to describe vent figures, and of course he could have been wrong. They were loose, and not part of a figure when I bought them.

There were so many different Mahoneys, and a bunch of knock-offs and similar-tos. It's a whole field of study by itself.

I did write the buyer; no reply. I've just asked again.

Hey Neil,

I wonder if the hands ever came from a doll at all. I've seen sets of doll arms and heads separately for craft purposes. Maybe the MST3K crew did the same thing...

Thanks again for asking. Where did you get the hands from exactly? Maybe if we figure out the source, we can get another clue.

I guess they could have come from anything. I got them from a narrow second-hand shop on the east side. It eventually closed, reopened as a cafe, and last I saw it, vacant. The hands were in a box with other vent parts -- eyes, a jaw, things like that. You know, I'm recalling now that the guy said some of the stuff might have been from a Danny O'Day doll. It was a number of years ago.

I went in there in the first place because he had a brown Money Lover Barrel that I spotted from the street! Still have the barrel. :)

I guess they could have come from anything. I got them from a narrow second-hand shop on the east side. It eventually closed, reopened as a cafe, and last I saw it, vacant. The hands were in a box with other vent parts -- eyes, a jaw, things like that. You know, I'm recalling now that the guy said some of the stuff might have been from a Danny O'Day doll. It was a number of years ago.

I went in there in the first place because he had a brown Money Lover Barrel that I spotted from the street! Still have the barrel. :)

Thanks for the info, Neil. Hahaha, talk about luck. A barrel and Servo hands. If only he had the engine block and some Wallace Lamps too! XD

I know. Closest I've come to a one-stop-bot-shop. I also picked up a Cooper XL-7 helmet for Crow in a thrift shop on the same street, but they're pretty common up here (or used to be, at any rate).

Currently working on my Tom Servo Kit. I've decided to start by priming the parts, then drilling...lots of words in the instructions, so this one may take a bit longer than the proton pack ;o)

Thanks Kenny! :) Hope you can finish your Crow someday. If you're missing parts, I can hook you up with my friend who makes bot parts.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back