Tom Hanks Says He’s Made “Four…Pretty Good” Movies…What Four Are They?

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
“No one knows how a movie is made — though everyone thinks they do,” Hanks said. “I’ve made a ton of movies (and four of them are pretty good, I think), and I’m still amazed at how films come together. From a flicker of an idea to the flickering image onscreen, the whole process is a miracle.”

The above quote is from an interview he’s recently done with People magazine. He apparently wouldn’t elaborate on which four he thinks are pretty good, so obviously it’s up to us to decide.

So let’s go…what four films do you think Hanks thinks are his “pretty good” films?

For the record, the quote from the interview was apparently when discussing the process of film making, so it’s possible he was referring to only films he’s been involved with directing/producing, but for the fun of discussion, I think we should include his entire body of work.

Last edited:
Here are what I think are his four “good” movies.

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Forrest Gump
3. Cast Away
4. BIG

It’s pretty hard to list only four. Apollo 13 and Cast Away are both amazing films. The Toy Story films are incredible. Philadelphia was great.
Haven't seen BIG in a very long time, but I still remember a bit....but its funny, because those 4 are the ones I was thinking of, with BIG being a maybe just because of how long its been since last seeing it.

Saving Private Ryan is probably the top for me as well.
I really need to looks at all his films to remember some.

but i have a special fondness for the money pit, youv'e got mail, castaway & big

I feel like that’s the hard part with an actor like Hanks.

He has a lot of films that I personally have a special affection for, but I’m not sure others would feel that they are great pieces of work.

Like I LOVE The Burbs, but I don’t think there’s any way I would consider it one of his four best films.

I feel like that’s the hard part with an actor like Hanks.

He has a lot of films that I personally have a special affection for, but I’m not sure others would feel that they are great pieces of work.

Like I LOVE The Burbs, but I don’t think there’s any way I would consider it one of his four best films.
you're right,
theres a lot i love, that others would hate, or disagree with,

i feel like the 4 films i like the most, hanks himself would probably disregard, :)

1. Joe vs the volcano

2. Bachelor Party

3. The Burbs

4. Turner and Hooch (although we know it was hooch that carried the movie)

OK, more serious:

1. Bridge of Spies
2. Sully
3. Apollo 13
4. Saving Private Ryan

Honorable mentions:

1. Cast Away (Let’s be honest, Wilson carried the picture)

2. League of their Own (small role in ensemble cast)

3. Catch me if you can (Really Leo’s movie)

4. That Thing You Do (Role was being the producer rather than the cast member)

Watch as we totally overthink it and it turns out he was referring to Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, and Toy Story 4.

I think Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away are all solid contenders, with honorable mention for Catch Me If You Can (though I agree with clonesix - he's more a supporting character in that) and Charlie Wilson's War.

And personally, I love the sheer fun of The Terminal. I completely missed it when it came out, but caught it for the first time a couple of years ago and spent the whole runtime asking myself "how have I not seen this?"

In reality it doesn't matter in the slightest what Hanks thinks of his own work. Especially since the likelihood of him evaluating it objectively based on how well he actually performed vs how well it was received is extraordinarily low. Also actors often tend to rate the films in which they enjoyed the experience of making it among their favorites even when presented with their best performances as the criteria. Another reason to put their opinions in the mostly irrelevant pile. Then again it's very difficult to take yourself out of something you're that involved with and look at it objectively.

His best films are Catch Me If You Can, Saving Private Ryan (despite the obtrusively shaky camera) and Philadelphia. The rest of his work is average to not worth mentioning so I couldn't really come up with a fourth. For the record Forrest Gump was an embarrassing disaster, I get why the masses enjoy it though. The Green Mile was a great film (an even better book) but Hanks' performance was overshadowed by everyone else in the film so I wouldn't count it among his best. Many of his films go into the category of nostalgia entertaining but have little to offer beyond that.

Then again it's very difficult to take yourself out of something you're that involved with and look at it objectively.
Very true regarding actors; their own assessments often don't align with the apparently-obvious choices. Though still an interesting perspective to hear. One that a lot of people wouldn't guess is Harrison Ford's favorite being The Mosquito Coast. I really like it (the fact that he manages to get you to wholeheartedly despise his character is a testament to his performance), but I imagine most fans of his work haven't even seen that film, let alone would they rank it in the top 10.

I somehow forgot Philadelphia - I don't doubt that makes the list; it's just been too long since I saw it to remember clearly. Will have to re-watch.

Is there a particular criticism of Forrest Gump that stands out the most for you? I wouldn't say it was deserving of Best Picture given its competition that year, and I don't consider it perfect by any means, but I've always appreciated it.

How can people keep forgetting the timeless classic

MV5BMTY2MzAyMDY2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODY1NTU5._V1_.jpg

Is there a particular criticism of Forrest Gump that stands out the most for you? I wouldn't say it was deserving of Best Picture given its competition that year, and I don't consider it perfect by any means, but I've always appreciated it.
Why yes...

Story. Gump is the same character throughout the film with literally no arc, no real journey. He overcomes every obstacle by accident. The entire film is akin to the scenes where he's running across the country for "no particular reason" and then just stops.

Acting. Hanks' performance is boring and bland as bland can be showing little emotion for the majority of his time on screen. The supporting cast is full of great actors whose talent and performances are mostly wasted.

Writing. The film tries extraordinarily hard to be deep yet is full of complete drivel that feels like endless cliche sketch comedy aimed at the lowest common denominator. Every single character is riddled with beyond cliche tropes. The tasteless humor involving famous historical figures some of whom deserve a great deal of respect was a massive turn off.

Directing. Zemeckis is usually relatively dependable but not so much here especially with failing to push the actors to get great performances from them.

Jenny is a horrible human being who uses Forrest for personal gain when she has no other options. Their love was clearly not mutual as the film attempts to convey.

There's a good deal more but I don't want to rant and respect that others enjoy this film.

On the plus side beautifully filmed, edited well, good effects for the time and music was well done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back