Toht Raiders costume

Dr Jones Sr

Sr Member
Putting together a Major Arnold Toht costume, from Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The RPF threads about Toht are over a decade old and I don't see any of the images which were posted at that time.

So a new thread on the topic is called for. I would love for people who had posted photos of source material and their props and costumes.

About sources, I have been able to find very few screenshots online.

L5yjsCG.jpg

What I've done with other characters is watch the film and do my own screenshots, however I don't have Raiders for some reason!

Also I've not found any photos of film-used costume pieces at auction or on display.

Here's what I've been able to glean so far:

Hat. It seems to be, more or less, the same as Indy's hat but in black and with a bound brim. The estimates I've seen are
Crown: 5.5 inches
Brim: 2.5 to 2.75 inches
Band: possibly 19 ligne, around 43mm, a bit under 1.75 inches.

I think the only time the top of the crown can be seen is when Toht removes his hat to wipe his brow. I can't quite tell but it looks like a gentle teardrop crown.

The closest readily available hat I've found is the Akubra Campdraft which is recently available in black. The band that comes with the hat is far too narrow and would have to be replaced. Here's a Campdraft in grey showing the high crown, wide bound brim, and straight sides like the Toht hat.

2xWhQFM.jpg

Glasses. Silver-coloured round with a high gently curved bridge.

Tie. Diagonal stripe in the UK "from the heart" orientation. A complex pattern, the basis is scarlet and black bars, the scarlet bars having an offset white stripe, and an offset black stripe which is flanked by gold lines.

I've not been able to find the exact tie, but I did find a George tie on Ebay UK that, from a few feet away, looks a good match.

oCEITLO.jpg

Shirt. The Nepal shirt appears to be plain white. The Egypt shirt appears to have dull blue pinstripes on body and cuffs, the cuffs being ordinary buttoned cuffs. The collar is white with rounded front edges.

Suit. Onscreen it looks a quite deep black with what appears to be a "tonal stripe" pattern to the cloth. It does not appear to be a pinstripe per se, in other words I think all the threads are black, the stipe pattern coming from contrasting textures.

Doublebreasted, six-button. If the Sideshow figure is to be believed the trousers are pleated and have belt loops.

Lapel Pin. From a certain political party. It has a narrow flat gold rim, not the ornate sculpted gold wreath seen on some pins.

There's no way I'm going to wear such a pin. I looked for a comparable pin, and I found these modern Bundesrepublik Deutschland pins:

qD0UeHD.jpg

bMuhxOw.jpg

Shoes. I don't think they're ever seen well enough to tell their exact style. The Sideshow figure has black cap-toe Derby shoes, which I don't trust because the Sideshow Henry Jones Senior figure also was given Derbys, though the character wears Oxfords.

Overcoat: Black leather, no epaulettes, upper front has American Cowboy style "V" plackets, slant pockets, two-button cuff tabs, matching leather self-belt, and rather long, reaching below the knees.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back