Toecutter (Mad Max) jacket, anything like this?

fuelish

Sr Member
The jacket looks to be oil skin, half zip, with reddish brown corduroy gathers at the sleeves and waist. The sleeves flare and the cord is backed with velcro so you can cinch them tight. Same thing at the waist. I have never seen a moto jacket like this, any ideas?
He is the guy on the left. ( I am trying to get some better pics off the DVD)
I also noted the cord material seems to deteriorate during the movie. There are some earlier scenes where it is not so frayed and you cannot see the white backing.
toecutter.jpg

Thanks, I have checked out the MMM reference. Last night I spent about two hours watching the bluray, trying to figure out what was what. Then another couple of hours searching the web.
The boots are probably Roger Decoster Alpinetars. Those are six strap, have the vibram style sole, no guards with the stitched pattern, and the three diamonds at the front/top of the boot. The diamonds are red/white/green but painted black in the movie, the small Alpinestar logo on the heel is also blacked out.
The jacket must have been made for the movie. I searched every brand I could come up with, that was around in the seventies, and no one made any kind of pull over jacket, much less one similar to the Toecutters. This is a little surprising as just about all the other bikers wear gear from the period. The other thing was how the red/brown material is coming apart. It looks fine during the scenes at the train depot, looks worse during the icecream scene(This is also the only time the flaps are loose and you can see how they wrap around to cinch the arms) and looks downright terrible at Mays farm.(I like how scruffy the bikers look, that is something just about every movie in this style gets wrong. Things look to new.) It looks like upholstry fabric.

I'm unable to help, but I never truly realized just how much detail went into that jacket!

I thought it was just a typical leather jacket with fur across the shoulders.

Kevin

I'm unable to help, but I never truly realized just how much detail went into that jacket!

I thought it was just a typical leather jacket with fur across the shoulders.

Kevin

Me to, thought it would be a simple thing to do. Just add the right looking fur(Probably kangaroo, but here deer would be easier and look about the same. It looks to be a piece from the neck and shoulders of the animal). Then I started really looking at it. I will have to talk my wife in to breaking out the sewing machine. I have not even found anything to use as a starting point. I am going to have to pull some frames from the DVD and see if anyone can figure out what the fabric is.

Terry, the piece at the waist is for back support. A couple of guys in the movie have kidney belts, Bubbas zip up being most prominent. You see them in lots of old moto photos. I wear one(under my jacket) if I am going for more than a short jump. Helps keep everything in place.
kidneybelt.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back