Todds Costume Boot Review

Egon

Sr Member
Hey All,

I figured the Star Wars sub was the best place to post this review since we mostly use equestrian style boots for Star Wars costumes.

I couldnt find any real reviews or comments about these, so I decided to start a thread.

So now that they're back in stock, I'd recommend that if you are in the market, you snatch these up.

On Todd's site it says that these run a bit large, so to order a size down. As someone with one size 10.5 and one 11 sized foot, I ordered the 10.5 trying to split the difference. To me, they feel like they do run a tad large, but this worked out well for my case.

Pros:

-As for construction, they seem pretty solid. The leather is definitely not top quality, but as I will only be wearing them a few times a year, they should hold up. The leather soles are nice, but definitely slippery! wear them a bit before you troop!

-The height seems perfect. I am 5'11" and they hit right at my knee. The backs are a bit high for my particular legs, but should be good for most people at 5'11" or above.

-The overall shape seems to be great. They look like riding boots.

- Availability. I couldn't find a pair of used boots in about 8 months of shopping. Finally being back in stock on these was convenient.

-Price. Again, used boots seemed to be around this price. Getting these new and able to return them for sizing issues is reassuring.

Cons:

-The photos emphasize this, but they are rather shiny. Not in a cheap looking way, but in a way that resembles the post production photos of Han Solo more than the more beaten up ones from filming and other characters in the film.

-The curve. The curve on the edges seems a bit severe compared to some photos, but can definitely be "fixed" by a cobbler.

I posted some photos so you can see. The pictures (even without flash) do make them look even shinier than they really are. Try to imagine something between the photos on the site and the super shiny look in the promo photos.

IMG_2026.JPGIMG_2027.JPGIMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2031.JPGHan Promo Boots.jpg
Cons:

I bought a pair of these boots and they are great once I had some work done on them. I wear size 11 and ordered an 11 with the assurance directly from Todd's Costumes that the boots would fit my 17.5 inch calves. The size 11 is more of a 12 and the diameter is only 15.5 inchs. I tried several DIY stretching techniques including filling Zip-lock bags with water and then freezing them inside the boots overnight. It stretched them a fraction of an inch, but not enough.

I finally found an old-timey cobbler who was more than willing to help me. I'm 6 feet tall and the height of the boots was fine, but I had him take off about an inch from the top to eliminate the curvature on the top. He also stretched the heck out of the calves. So much so that one of the seams popped. He put everything back together and the boots look great and feel great. I ended up spending about $35 on the cobbler alterations. I put in some thick gel insoles and wear 2 pairs of socks and they're really pretty comfortable.

Make sure you have a pair of boot hooks to help you get them on and boot jack is essential for removal. The price is probably a bit high for the overall quality of the boots, but they are well constructed and look nice. I'm happy with them and would recommend them as long as you know going in that if you have a calf diameter bigger than 15.5 inches, you'll need to get them stretched if you get the size 11 or 12.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the write-up. I have a pair of Todd's IJ boots. I wear a size 14-15 and Todd's 13s fit me perfectly. The Solo boots look very nice for the money. I may just have to pick them up.

I bought a pair of these boots and they are great once I had some work done on them. I wear size 11 and ordered an 11 with the assurance directly from Todd's Costumes that the boots would fit my 17.5 inch calves. The size 11 is more of a 12 and the diameter is only 15.5 inchs. I tried several DIY stretching techniques including filling Zip-lock bags with water and then freezing them inside the boots overnight. It stretched them a fraction of an inch, but not enough.

I finally found an old-timey cobbler who was more than willing to help me. I'm 6 feet tall and the height of the boots was fine, but I had him take off about an inch from the top to eliminate the curvature on the top. He also stretched the heck out of the calves. So much so that one of the seams popped. He put everything back together and the boots look great and feel great. I ended up spending about $35 on the cobbler alterations. I put in some thick gel insoles and wear 2 pairs of socks and they're really pretty comfortable.

Make sure you have a pair of boot hooks to help you get them on and boot jack is essential for removal. The price is probably a bit high for the overall quality of the boots, but they are well constructed and look nice. I'm happy with them and would recommend them as long as you know going in that if you have a calf diameter bigger than 15.5 inches, you'll need to get them stretched if you get the size 11 or 12.

I hope this helps.

I'd definitely take them to a cobbler if you need to crop the tops or stretch them. Unfortunately for me, I have 16 inch arms and calves...so the boots fit me just fine. But Harrisons seemed to have been shimmed so I wouldn't let this stop anyone from purchasing them if they have large calves or are worried about accuracy.

The boots are super high quality for the price but I wouldn't even consider getting them if you're of a smaller frame. The upper portion of the boot was comically large on me. The lower portion fit my size 10.5 perfectly, but everything above the foot was so ridiculously large that no amount of alteration from my local shoe guy would fix it (and even if they did, the portion around the ankle would still be huge). The length came just up to my knee (which my shoe guy could definitely adjust), but around the shin and calf muscle, I could probably fit both my leg and arm in with a little room to spare, and that's no exaggeration. And I don't exactly have pencil legs. I can only assume that whoever says they're too tight in the calves is either overweight, or NEVER misses leg day at the gym.

The boots are super high quality for the price but I wouldn't even consider getting them if you're of a smaller frame. The upper portion of the boot was comically large on me. The lower portion fit my size 10.5 perfectly, but everything above the foot was so ridiculously large that no amount of alteration from my local shoe guy would fix it (and even if they did, the portion around the ankle would still be huge). The length came just up to my knee (which my shoe guy could definitely adjust), but around the shin and calf muscle, I could probably fit both my leg and arm in with a little room to spare, and that's no exaggeration. And I don't exactly have pencil legs. I can only assume that whoever says they're too tight in the calves is either overweight, or NEVER misses leg day at the gym.

I wouldn't agree with this at all. The opening on that size boot is only 15.75 inches. With pants that doesn't leave much room. I'm a normal sized person (5 ft 11inch and 175lbs) with small calves and these are still pretty tight with my pants in there.

For anyone interested in these, just measure your legs with your pants on and see how much room you'll have.

This is me in the boots. This is only the second long term wear so they haven't broken in too much yet.

IMG_3477.JPG

I've had a pair of these for several months. They're pretty nice looking boots, but I can't get my legs into them. 2" difference in circumference. My cobbler wanted about $130 to add a strip up the back, said they couldn't be stretched enough.

It's mostly genetics and weight. Grow up as a fat kid that's 6'2" tall. You can lose the weight, but the legs stick around, haha.

Can anyone on this thread with a pair of Todd's boots comment on how wide (or not wide) they run? Particularly any of you with sizes 11 through 12 - I'd love to know the width of the outsole. I have wide feet (12E on a Brannock device), so squeezing into boots like these is always a concern. I've emailed Todd's to inquire, but they haven't been responsive.

Thanks!

Welp, I ordered the 12.5s, and unbelievably they fit well enough that I can wear them. My endless boot search is over.

They're *definitely* taller than the movie boots, though, by a couple of inches at least.

Huh...I just noticed that the boot photos on Todd's site and Magnoli are actually the exact same photos. Hmmm...

I noticed this too. I'm interested in purchasing a set of boots but want to find out a bit more about these first.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a size 12 with a 14 inch calf. If you're saying the calf is 15.75, I'm probably gonna have a lot of extra space.

I'm a size 12 with a 14 inch calf. If you're saying the calf is 15.75, I'm probably gonna have a lot of extra space.

You're going to have a lot of space in the calf. The box indicates that the calf is 17" on the 12.5, and I'd say that's probably pretty accurate, as I measure about 17" on my calves with my Solo trousers on.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back