To all seasoned prop makers out there: white resin

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does spray rubber (plastidip) stick to white resin?
Would some sort of black thick textured paint be better?
(White resin grenade frag body)

Clean it well with dish soap and water, prime it, then hit it with the Rustoleum hammered metal paint for texture and then finish it up with whatever to make it more realistic...

To answer your question though, most paints will stick to resin just fine...

I made a pistol grip using Smoothcast 320 series. I coated it in rustoleum textured paint and then in the Plastidip spray rubber and so far it has stuck on real well, no problems here.

Great ideas, thank you! is there a certain primer needed? or..is it even needed? haha

I find the cheap gray Walmart primer works well in most cases...

As for needed, lets just say it's the proper way to do a paint job, no it's not a needed step and neither is looking left/right before crossing a street...

If you're going to do any type of spot putty to fill in pin holes, primer is definitely needed as paint won't stick to the putty

I usually wipe my just finished casts off with paint thinner, then wash with soap and water to ensure I have removed all of the release agent before painting. I found out the hard way that paint won't stick nicely to release agent residue.

thank you everyone! (and kevin especially, it's his grenade i bought) As for the pin holes, I only see a few near the bottom, and some rough spots in between the ridges, I almost want to leave them there, more of a corroded look. They're so small, They hardly detract from the cast aestetically

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back