TNG/DS9 Med Kit Build

subxinu

I set out to build a TNG/DS9 Med Kit back in November; the weather has not played nice and I have had many delays but a recent prop party got me in gear to get it done for that party. I guessed on all of the dimensions from screen measurement and, well, I was off. After I had already gone past "the point of no return" I found out what the correct dimension are so, needless to say, this build is not screen accurate. It is actually a bit smaller but it holds the Tricorder and Hypo fine ...I built a custom PADD to go in this so the standard PADD size was not an issue. My next Med Kit build will be more accurate. ;)

What I used: a few sheets of styrene, two tubes of CA, some lacquer thinner, paint and time.

Anyhow, onto the build...

medkit_build_001.jpg

Image 1: Templates were mocked up in Illustrator and used to cut out pieces in in styrene using a box cutter.
Image 2: Masking tape was used to hold individual pieces in place while CA was applied to glue them together.
Image 3: A few of the component parts together; left is the main body, center is the tricorder box, and the right is the storage box. FYI, the Shiner Bock is there purely for size comparison. lol
Image 4: Attaching the back using the same masking tape/CA combo; note the gaps around the Tricorder box!

medkit_build_002.jpg

Image 5: Close up of the gaps shown in image 3; hand cutting often results in such "issues." lol
Image 6: Repaired. :)
Image 7: This is the underside of the top portion that includes the strap holders; this is included to show the "plastic welding" (for lack of a better word) technique that I used to strengthen the styrene joints.
Image 8: The "plastic weld" medium is a mixture of lacquer thinner and styrene scraps; this mixture returns in a liquid styrene goop on the bottom and a thin layer of lacquer thinner on the top. The goop is drawn up in a small syringe and applied as desired. I used this method throughout this build to strengthen all the joints. BTW, the container is a polypropylene container that will not dissolve in lacquer thinner. :)

medkit_build_003.jpg

This set of images should actually, chronologically, follow "Image 3"...
Image 9: Front view with storage box attached.
Image 10: Back view with storage box attached and before back is applied
Image 11: A look before the storage box is attached
Image 12: Another view with more components visible

medkit_build_004.jpg

Image 13: Top view before top is applied
Image 14: Another view before top is applied; internal magnet is visible.
Image 15: Top is applied.
Image 16: View of the magnetic latch before it is applied to the door.

medkit_build_005.jpg

Images 17-19: The main body and internal boxes are all together
Image 20: A look at some scratch and dent repair with Bondo. :p

medkit_build_006.jpg

Image 21: All primered up.
Image 22: Silver paint applied
Image 23: The various detail pieces all lined up after paint; the LEDs are real LEDs taken from some Xmas lights.
Image 24: The Trek Caduceus stencil all cutout and ready for application; Easy Tack was used to apply the stencil to the door for paint.
Image 25: A view of the strap material.
Image 26: Everything is painted and attached other than the door; everything was clear coated with a satin clear lacquer.

medkit_build_007.jpg

Images 27-28: A view with a Hypospray and custom Voyager PADD.
Images 29-30: A view with the door open; with & without the PADD.

medkit_build_008.jpg

Image 31-34: Views around the finished Med Kit. The light attached is a custom modification to a light I found; I will post a mini-build thread on this piece later. :)

medkit_build_009.jpg

Image 35: The last image.

Thanks for looking. :)

- Karl

That's a recast!!

LOL, just kidding. GREAT build bud! You did a fantastic job on that! The flashlight is great too!

Very nice! I wish I had the patience to build something like that.

Funnily enough, I've got a load of those lights. They make pretty good (albeit inaccurate) wrist beacons.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back