TMNT Hero Suit - Pics 1-22-11 post 129

CustomPropSculptorGuy

I am horrible at blogging, and I get ragged on all the time for not documenting my work the way other pros do, and now that I am older, I get the whole "document it" thing being, it's a lot easier to show pics, than it is it to say "Yea I did it, let me get some pics from the person," as in this case, I have been given the green light from BOTH clients - I hate that word - friends, I think is safe to say on some level, to show pics.

If the mods say other wise, I'll totally understand :)

So, I have also been commissioned by two people; one in Cali and another in Australia to replicate the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle suits of Raphael and Donatello... I thought it would be fun for a lot of people here if I posted the progress - and my inbox is getting full of people asking me for pictures, so here is the first pic from the first day of sculpting, mocking the clay up to be the right size, all that good jazz ;-)

I will have a TON of pics in the next couple weeks, but here goes the start of this 14-day journey; yea, 14 days... we're going to try and make 2 - TWO - suits come to life. I ordered materials over a month ago, and they're just now supposed to be here between Friday and next Thursday, due to a shipping error on the suppliers end.

Fun stuff.

So, here goes on one of the most insane projects I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with LoL.

Notice the awesomeness of the oven - and no, the wires coming out of the door are not the main source of heat - they're just to run the fans on the inside after we treated the interior of the oven.

We're going to be sculpting with the Chavant NSP line of clay and then, using fiberglass molds, will be using foam latex to run the parts for the shoulders/neck/arm area, the forearms and hand, quads and then the calves and feet. The head and shell will be fab'd out in Smooth-Ons' Flex Foam 17, a newer product, but it is amazing as a foam. It has the same softness and feel of the Flex10, but the self skinning of the Flex25; I highly recommend it - even using it on my MMPR Movie suits for the body armor.

So, we started on the legs; here is the mock up - Should actually be, I hope, pretty far along on them tomorrow sculpt wise - I think LoL...

So here is the oven...
DSC05965.jpg

DSC05964.jpg

And here is the legs... LoL
DSC06004.jpg

Last edited:
Re: TMNT replica suit diary...

you know all too well im looking forward to this come to life. excited to see the final product! very very cool!

Very cool! I'm working on a TMNT myself. I'd love to do a suit one day. 14 days isn't much time to crank something out like this. Best of luck to you, and looking forward to updates!!
-Mark

Any work on a TMTN suit is great in my book! I have been on a TMNT high recently and I am really looking forward to how this one turns out man. Best of luck to ya :).

Re: TMNT replica suit diary... New PICS 7/4/10

OKie doke

So I kinda forgot that I had plans, so I only have a little more than an hour in this - So bear with me - just a mock up-, no tooling, or raking... just some good 'ole manual clay movement with my hands.

This will be done in Chavant NSP Soft, and then cast in Monster Makers foam latex.

And as far as the speed, if you don't believe me, I was sending updates to the client, whom is a member here, as the clay started taking shape - So, high5 for him dealing with me this morning LoL...

DSC06009.jpg

DSC06010.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06012.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06014.jpg

DSC06015.jpg

DSC06016.jpg

DSC06017.jpg

DSC06018.jpg

DSC06019.jpg

DSC06020.jpg

Last edited:
Re: TMNT replica suit diary... New Pics 7/4/10

Awesome man! There was a lot of interest not too long ago for TMNT shell castings (someone used to sell casts from a screen used one long ago). If you ever sell just the shell let me know!

Yea, actually I am going to be offering off the pieces... My shell is going to be a little more user-friendly than a one-piece shell though ;)

looks really cool ..question. out of curiosity why the decision to run them in foam latex? Are they for a specific show? or are they meant to be a long term wearable costume? ...I only ask because of the inevitable degradation of the foam latex

looks really cool ..question. out of curiosity why the decision to run them in foam latex? Are they for a specific show? or are they meant to be a long term wearable costume? ...I only ask because of the inevitable degradation of the foam latex

Yea, more or less they need to be extremely mobile for one, two, they need to be lightweight for the people wearing them, and more importantly, the material is a lot less for the guys commissioning me to do the suits.

Originally, we were going to use Smooth-Ons' Dragon Skin, and then foam-back it, but the weight and the cost was outrageous for what we had to do and was really out of the budget for everyone. This way, it's a decent material cost, I built the oven, but more importantly for the people commissioning the suits, it gives them that little extra kinda "this is what they did on the movie" ya know??

Granted, it's not the SAME foam latex as they used 20years ago, but it's, again, that little sense of "propness" that you get in a replica.

ok ..but yikes ..I hope they know that the suit is not going to last very long. Love the silicone idea ..but I understand the cost limitations ..happens to us all the time ...

Yea I hear ya, but its like anything - depends on how they take care of it, how its run, how it's worn... I've seem some pieces last forever, and other last 20 minutes LoL

Re: TMNT replica suit diary... New Pics 7/5/10

hey its coming along nicely. just dont forget that raph has a scar on his upper right lip. i wish i had a screen grab to show you but i have to find my dvds lol.

Re: TMNT replica suit diary... New Pics 7/5/10

Have you ever seen a turtle Get Down? -- Slammin’ Jammin’ to the new swing sound

I can't wait to see this done.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back