TK Mic tips Hovi Mix- Original found parts finally surface.

dano

I have recently come into possession of a pair of genuine 1970's aerators. I'm posting this up here as I think it could be of interest to a lot of people and wish to gauge that interest for reasons I'll explain a little further down.

Just to give a little background on this, back in 1977 as a young boy a friend of mine saw an afternoon matinee screening of ANH at the cinema and at the time recognised what the parts were on the helmet. After watching said matinee he then got his father to take him to a plumber's merchant where he was bought a set of these aerators and they just sat there in a tub for years.

Sadly he passed away and whilst helping to clear out some rubbish from his house I clocked these parts in a pile earmarked for the bin.

20210805_183904.jpg

Now what is interesting is that it opened up a couple of previously unknown things about the tips, namely that there was a serated push fit tube on the back of these which fitted into a hose. What is now obvious is that these were cut off from the original backs for the threads to fit through and attach to the helmets.

20210805_184038.jpg

Another thing that stands out is the internal fitting, in the past I have seen the pictures Gino shared of the hero helmet aerator and the insert appears to be a one piece. It isn't, the middle piece is actually a two piece moulding that fits together. Something else that doesn't seem present on the screen used tips is a black O ring seal.

received_554184432617720.jpeg

As you can see from these pictures the colour itself is actually off white, with a definite yellow tinge to the plastic as opposed to an all white moulding. When I first saw this part I actually thought it was a resin cast initially as the colour was very reminiscent of a polyurethane casting resin I use and to be honest I almost dismissed it!

I think it's fairly obvious that these were moulded in different shades of plastic, and that the internal components were also moulded in different colours as Gino himself in the past has stated he had seen a mix of aqua and white.

Another difference to the screen used tips and these is the filtration mesh, this is a different pattern. From what I can ascertain there is a moulded groove on the inside lip and you can see how the mesh was inserted from the inside before being fixed in with an adhesive.

Another interesting thing about these was that he actually had what appears to be the connecting hose that they fit into. When I found the first one it was sitting in the wider end of the tube but I actually think it's supposed to fit in the narrower end and the wider end fitted onto a tap or a tap adapter.

20210714_151006.jpg

This would make sense of what my friend had told me a while back, that these aerators were tap mixers for hot and cold taps back in the 70's. The tube itself bears a very consistent appearance to how they appear today, they are called rubber swirl mixers and are still in manufacture although not to this exact design. Also the rubber on this is obviously aged and shows signs of perishing particularly at the base where the aerators would most likely connect. I think for this reason the aerator was stuck in the larger end to prevent the narrower part from further deterioration.

20210713_170927.jpg

So onto the great unanswered question... what I HOVI MIX pa2? Well, on that one I really have no answer I'm afraid. Like most people curious about these I've spent far more time than is healthy trying to track this info down. I've even tried thinking outside the box I case VI is actually roman numerals rather than text! I have asked around several old time plumbers and will continue to do so but for the time being all professional opinion seems to agree that this is actually the part code or name as opposed to a manufacturers name.

One thing that does seem a lot simpler to clear up however is what pa2 means, this is simply the formulation of the aerators' operation. P= pressure, A = area and the 2 is the equal mix of water and air into the nozzle.

So far all attempts to identify a manufacturer have proven fruitless. One thing that does seem conclusive is that this was a UK manufacturer rather than an imported product.

20210713_170935.jpg

My initial hope was that if somebody I talked to could have identified the part there may have been an outside chance of then finding the company that sold these and then the manufacturer and pursuing the chance the dies could have still been in existence with a view to recommencing manufacture. Sadly this seems to be impossible to bring to fruition.

So, what I have done is what I hope will be the next best thing. I am currently part way through the process of having these parts reverse engineered. At the moment I'm still in the early stages but my plan is to have these parts remanufactured exactly as they would have been back in the 70's. This means having them produced as injection moulded pieces and making them available to the community.

As of yet I'm afraid I can give no further details for the simple reason I don't have any myself at present, but as soon as I know I will be making it known here.

If you would like to see anymore of these then I would recommend you head over to the RS Propmasters YouTube channel.

Last edited:
I see some similar things on amazon.co.uk when I search for "tap swirl". I don't see them on amazon.com. I guess it is a British thing.

Croydex DH311110U 1/2-inch Spout Tap Swirlit is an example.

Looks like the rubber part is to basically add a flexible end to a faucet so you can direct the water around the sink. Is that what they mean by "swirl"?

Frequently Amazon has related items on their listings. I was hoping they would show an aerator attachment but I don't see any on the listings.

Last edited:
Incredible find! My commlink may be due for an upgraded...

Re the off-white, it's possible the plastic has yellowed with age depending on what type it is. I've got white ABS plastic toys from ~20 years ago that turned tan after years in storage.

I've always thought that if you find the original parts used as shown on the b&w pyramid helmet pics (in front of sds shop) you would find the original hovi mix Pa2.

As mentionned, it looks like an aerator. The blue "nipple" part looks like an economizer.

As mentionned (again) this aerator should be an insert. I can't see how it could works connected to this rubber hose without something around? The water would flow through the bridge of the main body (where it should only flow through the little holes of the "economizer" and then the mesh on the top of the aerator).

1629037922824.png

I grew up with this kitchen faucet, and always thought the hovi part was inside....unfortunately never opened it up. This seems similar to the pyramid tips....but we are retreading old ground with new insight....Fascinating stuff

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this. One step closer. There are quite a few of those flexible hoses still around it seems, but nothing attached to the front

Hi y'all. I think I might contribute to this search and share what I found out in the depths of the internet so I've opened an account just to post this.

There was a company from Denmark called "Hovi-Mix Sanitet". It was incorporated in 1970 and the name suggests the production or sale of sanitary products:

Hovi 1.PNG

It seems that the company changed their name throughout the years. Here's an entry with the name "Hovi Metalvarefabrik" which suggests the production or sale of metal products. The Director listed is the same as in the previous picture, a man named Svend Frederik Jensen so I'm sure it's the same company. I don't know if there's a Danish member here that can translate. Maybe there's more info in that text:

Hovi 3.PNG

Now we have an address. I found this:

Hovi 2.PNG

We now have another name change and additional info about what the company produced: Plastics Industrial Products.
So those mic tips might very well have been produced by them.
Another site lists the following products that you could get at that company: chemicals, plastics and rubber, plastics:

Hovi 4.PNG

But when you look under that address in Google Maps there's a car repair shop now. The last thing I found out was that the company closed down around 10 years ago and was liquidated. The remaining stuff has been auctioned:

Hovi 5.PNG

It looks to me as if this company might very well have produced the mic tips. For what special purpose is still up for suggestions. There's a whole list of former directors in the first link but I'm not crazy enough to try to track one of them down and ask about their former employers and their products. They're probably pretty old by now.

Anyway, that's what I found out and I wanted to share it. Maybe it's a dead end, maybe it can clear things up or maybe confuse you even more. ;)

Interesting read Hovinski and what a research work.

By the past, I thought that Hovi could be à UK brand (mix for mixing water and Pa2 for "Plumbing assembly 2" as mentionned by another membre on FISD ).

Finally it could be a Danish product... very interesting.
So I made a search for "danish faucet aerator" (thanks google trad), and I found some interesting product.

I know that is not the hovi-mix we are looking for, but the "nipple part" inside each aerator (water economizer) looks familiar (personnaly, I've never seen this kind of aerator here in France).

Attachments

• Medium.png
    Medium.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 14fc5d66-5f7e-4df1-9586-9e946f926e41.jpg.jpg
    14fc5d66-5f7e-4df1-9586-9e946f926e41.jpg.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 90
I followed a paper trail and spoke to a company that HOVI-MIX merged into:

“HOVI-MIX Sanitet was a company we purchased for their accessories and plumbing parts ranges when we first started selling our toilet seats into the DIY market under the name Saniscan back in the nineties. They were merged into Saniscan and most of the plumbing parts got pruned from the range very quickly. We regret nobody currently working for us knows the function or materials of the part you are asking about, though it is clearly some form of plastic with some type of metal mesh. Sorry we cannot be more helpful!”

So looks as if the parts are certainly long gone! Not much help but perhaps one piece of the puzzle.

Hi y'all. I think I might contribute to this search and share what I found out in the depths of the internet so I've opened an account just to post this.

There was a company from Denmark called "Hovi-Mix Sanitet". It was incorporated in 1970 and the name suggests the production or sale of sanitary products:

View attachment 1485188

It seems that the company changed their name throughout the years. Here's an entry with the name "Hovi Metalvarefabrik" which suggests the production or sale of metal products. The Director listed is the same as in the previous picture, a man named Svend Frederik Jensen so I'm sure it's the same company. I don't know if there's a Danish member here that can translate. Maybe there's more info in that text:

View attachment 1485197
First text says

Second text says:

Board member resigns his post in HOVI Metalware Factory A/S

29-05-1996: Svend Frederik Jensen leaves HOVI Metalware Factory A/S' board of directors

Svend Frederik Jensen has been part of the HOVI Metalware Factory A/S's board of directors since 07-07-1986, but steps down from his position as of 29-05-1996. The board of directors now consists of Preben Bailey, Per Jørgen Hjortbøl and Helge Kristian Thomsen. Svend Frederik Jensen, who has stepped down from the board of directors, now have one other seat in Danish business as a board member of CONCEPT INTERIORS ApS.
Preben Bailey is listed as the only director of that company.

HOVI Metalware Factory A/S is registeret under the engros trade industry with machines, equipment and accessories.

It is possible the original molds still exist.

Last edited:
First text says

Second text says:

Board member resigns his post in HOVI Metalware Factory A/S

29-05-1996: Svend Frederik Jensen leaves HOVI Metalware Factory A/S' board of directors

Svend Frederik Jensen has been part of the HOVI Metalware Factory A/S's board of directors since 07-07-1986, but steps down from his position as of 29-05-1996. The board of directors now consists of Preben Bailey, Per Jørgen Hjortbøl and Helge Kristian Thomsen. Svend Frederik Jensen, who has stepped down from the board of directors, now have one other seat in Danish business as a board member of CONCEPT INTERIORS ApS.
Preben Bailey is listed as the only director of that company.

HOVI Metalware Factory A/S is registeret under the engros trade industry with machines, equipment and accessories.

It is possible the original molds still exist.

Thanks for translating!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back