TJack's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry - RHINO

TJackFx

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a cowl I've wanted to try and make for quite a while now. It's not going to be a direct copy of any particular Rhino, just my interpretation of him (and def not any influence from the mecha rhino from ASM 2).

I've only made 2 cowls in the past, a Wolverine and Daredevil (both this year). Prior to that, I haven't really done much since my highschool days. Needless to say, I'll probably be looking to all of you for tips as I go along :)

He's being sculpted out of Van Aken Plastalina and the plan is to cast him in 40 shore urethane when all is said and done. The horns will be cast separately and I intend on making them out of foam filled resin. They will then be glued to the rubber cowl.

Just started last night and am working on getting the basic shape down before starting any detail work. Nice thing about him as compared to my last 2 cowls is that there is no need to worry about a smooth surface :)

IMG_0597.JPG

The Rhino is one of the villains I would love to see being crafted more often.
You've made a good start :thumbsup I hope you get to create what you had in mind.
Will you be adding ears as well,or is this the complete reference already?

Gotta pick up the pace and finish this up. I should be able to set aside enough time over the next few days to have it done by next weekend. I started adding some texture to the surface. It's my first time attempting to make wrinkles - I know there is still room for improvement but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I made my own texture stamp which will help speed things up.

IMG_0662.JPGIMG_0670.JPG

Shaping up really well, especially like the folds on the back of the head; very convincing. Wrinkles are looking really good too. Nice use of the Power of the X . . . if you've ever watched a Don Lanning tutorial. :)

Thanks man, I've never watched any of his tutorials, I've just been trying to do what I think looks right. I know it's not perfect but I'm getting close to where I'll be happy with it.

Here are some pics of the final sculpt. I'll be casting this in vytaflex (40 shore rubber) with the horns cast in either onyx or 65D resin so they will feel more like actual horns. Next step will be to plan out a full suit.

I know it's not as good as a lot of the others around here but I really like how it turned out. I'm not sure if anything else is needed for the judges but I did take a 360 degree video if needed.

IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0678.JPGIMG_0681.JPGIMG_0683.JPG

First pull it out of the mold. It still needs a black wash to make the wrinkles stand out and I also need to paint the eyes and horns. The horns are cast separately in foam filled resin so they will feel solid to the touch and more realistic. Once they are painted I'll glue them into place. Also, due to the large size of the rhino's head, I need to place some thin foam into the back of the cowl to make it fit properly. I'll post up more pics when it's finally complete.

IMG_0693.JPG

With a demold time of 16 hours, I'm surprised you used Vytaflex. Is there some kind of activator or something you can use to speed up the cure time? The last time I tried slush casting with Vytaflex, it stayed soupy for so long I gave up.

With a demold time of 16 hours, I'm surprised you used Vytaflex. Is there some kind of activator or something you can use to speed up the cure time? The last time I tried slush casting with Vytaflex, it stayed soupy for so long I gave up.

Kick-It from Smooth On

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Rubber-an/c6_1118_1204/index.html

I'm betting 95% of the cowls made here at the RPF use Vytaflex :)

And a pic of a finished cast. I started a thread in the JY of anyone is interested.

IMG_0700.JPG

The sculpt turned out great, and impressive you got it molded, cast, and painted already! Nice paint on the first pull, it really sets off the texture.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back