Titanic wreck model and large affordable normal kit??

Wes R

Legendary Member
My friend is a Titanic nut and i was wondering if there was a commercially available model of the wreck on the ocean floor and if there is a reasonably priced full ship that would be suitable for her to do a cutaway of and detail. I know there are specially made ones I've seen on specials. Actually i'd like to see some kits of other wrecks on the bottom. Any help is appreciated.

Plenty of full kits out there. All different sizes. There's a 15 footer if your game. As for the wrecked one I'm not sure. Try Titanicbuilders. The have all the info and plans you'll need to scratch one if you so wanted.

I'll give them a look. I think 15' might be a bit too big. I was thinking maybe 2' or so. I got her one that's 7" but hard to modify it.

Glass hull people on the forums, I think he may mean? Interested depending on price, lol.

Wes, no "wreck on the bottom" kits AFAIK. There is a paper kit of the ship sinking, closest thing I'm aware of.

I guess manufacturers may feel it's too morbid a subject? I think it could be a hot seller, myself.

I have some pix and the link bookmarked on my iPad. I'll look it up when I get in. As Martyn said it is a fiberglass hull with some resin parts and Vac formed lifeboats. You need to build the superstructure from memory and I think there was some photo etch too.

I'll have a look.

I have the Academy/Minicraft 1/350 kit. It's 30", and even that would be dificult to super detail. They make a PE set for it, but railings, in that scale, are a real pain in the ass, to work with.

Personally, I think her best bet, is to maybe buy the 1/350 kit, and use it for reference, to scratchbuild a lengthwise cutaway. Design the interior space, and then add your hull and superstructure around it, afterwards.

-Fred

In 2005 Foxploration in Baja had a medium-scale (I'd guess 1/200) model of the wreck.

I have some pics, but they are actually too close in and do not show the entire model for what it is...

I have a friend who bought the regular Titanic model (18") and then "sunk" it in his fish tank.....he did fantastic work on it....next time I'm over there I will take a pic of it!!

I have the Academy/Minicraft 1/350 kit. It's 30", and even that would be dificult to super detail. They make a PE set for it, but railings, in that scale, are a real pain in the ass, to work with.

Personally, I think her best bet, is to maybe buy the 1/350 kit, and use it for reference, to scratchbuild a lengthwise cutaway. Design the interior space, and then add your hull and superstructure around it, afterwards.

-Fred

I've got one of those with the PE rails and such (deck benches for example are also PE) There were other PE kits for it that I didn't buy but probably SHOULD have.
I built mine with lights which brings my total # of lighted kits up to three.
I also bought a couple of packs of 1:350th people and thats what hung me up on finishing the kit in a timely manner. I have to modify some into women, some into children, and try to diversify them enough to populate the deck without looking too messy/busy.

I have a much smaller kit (around a foot long IIRC) that I intend to... distress into the sunken version.

She's really happy with the smaller kit I got her for now. Never took her for a model builder but she's having a ball.

I bought a model kit on ebay that was missing pieces and turned it into a wrecked ship sitting on the floors. Something different then putting a model together. I adding extra collapsed floors and bits and pieces all around. Made a diorama and glued sand on etc. Ill take some pics and post.

If your intertested in some cool titanic replicas, check out this guys site.

I have seen some of his models in person and they are fantastic.
Here is his site as well as some attached photo's

Home - TitanicCreations

Contact Jon at: jsimon999@hotmail.com

MiniWreck4.jpg

MiniSink-2.jpg

Strike2-1.jpg

Sail9.jpg

I love the wreck on the bottom model. If i had talent i'd start a company that just does kits of famous wrecks on the ocean floor. Sent all the links in the thread to my friend too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back