Titanic (Pink Coat)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by MadAlice, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

So, I know this forum is more about armor builds and stuff...
    BUT there might be a user or two out there who likes the pretty/girly stuff as well. :angel

My new project is the pink coat from Titanic (1997), worn by Kate Winslet during the sinking.

[​IMG]

I want to wear it to the screening of Titanic in 3D next year. :cool
    Plus, it'll be my first costume that I can actually wear in public without being stared at.

2. toddslightning

toddslightning New Member

are u goin to be selling these ? my girl friend loves that movie lol i think casue of LEO though

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Active Member

4. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Active Member

5. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

I'm not selling my costumes (yet), but it seems there are enough people who do. :cool
    So here are the pattern and the fabric I'm using:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The main thing to be adjusted was the collar, and the biggest challenge: EMBROIDERY!
    Never done that before, but it actually worked out fine.

This is where I'm at right now: [​IMG]

I laid out the pattern with a cord and hand-stitched it on the collar, which took forever.
    Will have to do the same for the back collar and the sleeves...:rolleyes

The coat also needs lining, hems, buttons, and pockets - still a lot of work to do!

6. lekue

lekue New Member

amazing coat and amazing job

7. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

Awesome work!

8. Idaho Jones

Idaho Jones Well-Known Member

Very nice, the color mach on the fabric looks great.

9. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The embroidery looks gorgeous ! Do you have a close-up pic ?

10. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Me! I like the pretty ;)! I hope to start posting progress of my Labyrinth gown here sooner or later!

Looks awesome! The embroidery is turning out great! Is it wool you're using?

11. Darkbeauty

Darkbeauty Member

great work!!! I also like your Alice dress, its pretty amazing!!

12. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great so far !

Are you going to make Kate's outfit under the coat as well, or just wear the coat with your regular clothes for the movie premier ?

13. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Your coat is coming along very nicely. I love the costumes from Titanic.

14. chwbcc

chwbcc New Member

You know you still get looks from people... because this look really good!

15. Izzzie

Izzzie Member

This is gorgeous! Would love to see close-ups of the embroidery if possible - and seconding the question above, are you considering making the dress she wears underneath at all? :)

16. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

Oh wow, where did all those comments come from?? :lol
    Thaaaaaank you for your kind words, I'm so glad you like the project!

@CelticRuins
    I'm so looking forward to your Labyrinth costume!
    Yes it's pink wool, but I actually don't know what the black cord is made of... :$

I took a looooong Christmas break from sewing, but now I'm back at work.
    Here's the current status:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The collar took me forever (no pattern, no experience, LOTS of embroidery).:rolleyes
    The first sleeve is done, next are the second sleeve, lining, pockets, and buttons.

I will DEFINATELY make the dress underneath, but that'll have to wait.

[​IMG] Oh and here's a detail shot of the embroidery (click to enlarge).
    Not sure if it helps, you cannot really see much on it...:confused

Guri likes this.
  17. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Beautifully done!! :love

First time doing embroidery?? nothing like a project to inspire learning a new skill, eh?

This is one of those amazing pieces that you can just wear. Some will know (you will know) but it's gorgeous and stylish enough to be part of your wardrobe.

18. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

Exactly! I would never have the patience to learn something like that if I didn't have a costume in mind.:cool
    So here's the latest from the coat, it's pretty much done (except for button holes and lining):

[​IMG]

I had the wig from a previous costume, and I think it works for Rose. :thumbsup

19. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mad Alice, you have some mad skills.

That. Looks. FANTASTIC. Great job.

20. Oriontide

Oriontide Member

Fantastic job!

21. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome job! Remember to carry an axe with you!

22. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

That came out gorgeous!

23. Aria Clements

Aria Clements New Member

Sorry for posting to such an old thread, but I'm currently reproducing this coat myself (and am referenced in post #3), and I've got to say Brava! The embroidery work you did is slightly different than the original and I like yours tons better. Yours looks like actual flowers on pretty stems while the original looks more sprawling with what appear to be knotted possible weeds. Yeah, the original is weeds, and yours are clearly flowers. I wish I had found this post before starting on the coat I'm working on, which you can see here on my Facebook page. Your work is just beautiful, and is an inspiration to me.

Did you use soutache? Yours is actually the first replica I've seen with the work being hand-done. I've come by several that were machine-embroidered, but something is lost when it's all by machine.

24. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

Hi Aria! I was surprised to see an e-mail notification of a reply - it's been a while since I was here last. :D Thanks so much for your kind words! The embroidery is mainly different because it was easier to replicate this way. I never did embroidery before, so I needed a more simple pattern. I used simple black cord, and when that was out I used shoelaces because they looked exactly the same. :lol

Love your website by the way, especially the renaissance gown and Arwen's mourning gown.:love

25. Aria Clements

Aria Clements New Member

Thank you! My website is horribly out of date, a bit over a year. The program I used for it only runs on Windows, and I've got a Mac. My husband's been dragging his heels on putting a partition on my computer so I can run Windows and update, hence the Facebook link. :)

I know the original coats used soutache braid, and the cut ends of that stuff is a nightmare. I'm having to secure the ends well before cutting it.

You just used plain black cord, like the narrow kind? That would have taken forever!! Using 1/8" and 1/16" soutache is taking long enough, and that's wider than most cord! I'm hoping you used a wider cord than I'm thinking of, and if you mentioned using shoelaces when you ran out, I'm suspecting that's what you did. The thought of using cord like I used for the two solid "lines" around the edge of the collar gives me a headache, and I actually love hand-work!

That you did with the motifs actually looks like something instead of a semi-abstract, and all I can think of it a weed, like a dandelion, for the original, which I wouldn't care for at all if my daughter didn't love them so much. I love so much that yours is so clearly a flower, and also keeps pretty faithful to the original. I looked at yours, and immediately thought I must have looked at the original wrong, so I went to my filed, and nope, yours is different and just plain better.

I wish you'd posted pics of the cuffs and a clearer one of the back instead of just the top down. I'd love to see more!

What did you do for the buttons? The originals were covered in soutache, and I've got a couple ideas for that, though my client is fine with plain buttons. And where did you find your wool? Unless it's the lighting, it looks a little lighter than the wool I got, and I with what I got was a little lighter.

Also SF Bay represent! I'm from the Bay and miss it so much my heart aches. Before leaving the area, I was in the unloved child of San Mateo County, Redwood Shores, that patch of land Redwood City and San Carlos keep trying to force on each other (unless it's changed, it's technically Redwood City, and what's so funny about that is you can't get from the Redwood Shores part to RWC-proper without driving through San Carlos. It's a city divided! For a while I was in San Jose, but just barely, on Norwalk when the complex over there was an Archstone, and that was, hands down, my favorite apartment. I miss the seagulls and clam shower bowls in the city, strolling down University in Palo Alto stopping at Pluto's for their onion rings and amazing sauce for them pondering why any street needs so many rug shops and joking that they must be fronts for something not exactly legal... Also Los Altos has Thai Silks. I used to go there so often that the ladies all knew my resale number without needing to look it up (get a business license and you get 25% off purchases over $50 plus no tax). Now I'm sitting here all sentimental and am even more homesick than I've already been feeling lately.

26. MadAlice

MadAlice Member

Oh nooooo, sorry for making you homesick - I'm not even living in the Bay Area anymore (have to update my profile). I only lived there last year and am now back home in Germany. I miss that area so much, it's beautiful and has a huge cosplay community. We don't really have that over here...:cry Anyway, I don't remember the cord width but it was just like standard (round) shoelaces. The one nerve-wracking thing was to sew up the endings of each cord frayed too much...:unsure

Here are some pictures from the back collar (making-of) and the cuffs:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Philyra

Philyra Member

I just wanted to say that I love your coat. I have wanted one of these for a long while and could not have justified buying one to my fiancé. However you have now inspired me to try and make one as you did.