Tips on creating my first silicone mask

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

danleebank

HI all,

So I feel that I understand the main process of creating a silicone mask, I have my life cast, im currently sculpting on it to mold in fiberglass later, then going to use the same life cast for a core and inject my silicone in between the two. This is where im having an issue. If I sculpt large sections of the face, when I create the mask there will be some very very thick sections of silicone in the mask, and heavy at that. Are masks such as "groot" from CFX ( link here for pictures http://compositeeffects.com/mystore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2354 ) all silicone or does the nose have a silicone skin and backed with foam latex to fit a human shaped nose on the inside or something? Or should my core life casting be modified to make that section thinner and not conform to my own nose on the inside of the mask? I hope you all understand what im asking. I want to make an Azog mask, but I want a lot of movement but that wont happen with a huge thick silicone nose, right? Thanks!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Silicone and foam latex are different mediums. You wouldn't back a silicone mask with it. Not only would it not stick, but foam latex deteriorates rapidly.

You can use a silicone foam of some sort. I know Smooth On has Soma Foama and that's super cool stuff. I've seen it used a lot for prosthetic pregnancy bellys because it keeps the silicone on the surface thin and light while the foam is soft enough to wear comfortably.

Looking at Azogs design I don't see a foam backing as completely necessary. If you take an inch or two off your core and include power mesh in the mask, it will want to naturally snap back to your face. Immortal Masks uses this method and they make some pretty thick pieces. Always beauties and move well.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Reynolds sells the brand name power mesh. It's basically a four way stretch spandex. Just make sure what you get stretches in every direction.