Tips on Building Full Size GI Joe Rifle from Scratch?

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ May 18 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]1246356[/snapback]</div>
Check with either Fettclone or Motman241. ....If they can't help, no one can.
[/b]
Thanks for those kind words. :)

If it were me, I would use something like maybe 2 X 8" pine (it's light, easy to work with, and cheap) for the main part. I would enlarge a high-res picture, and trace it onto the wood. I would also try to make the gun as easy as I could, by either using thick wood, and routing away stuff you don't want, or thinner wood and adding on the stuff you do want.
I would go about it by making the stock, reciever, grip, and foreward grip out of the 2 X 8" (or 2X10", whatever fits). One big, solid piece. Then I would add some PVC pipe for the barrel. Add some thinnner wood to thicken up the foreward grip and add on the extra parts, and you'll at least be real close. From there you should be able to tell what needs to be done.

Got a better picture of the gun by chance?

<div class='quotetop'>(motman241 @ May 18 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]1246379[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ May 18 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]1246356[/snapback]
Check with either Fettclone or Motman241. ....If they can't help, no one can.
[/b]
Thanks for those kind words. :)

If it were me, I would use something like maybe 2 X 8" pine (it's light, easy to work with, and cheap) for the main part. I would enlarge a high-res picture, and trace it onto the wood. I would also try to make the gun as easy as I could, by either using thick wood, and routing away stuff you don't want, or thinner wood and adding on the stuff you do want.
I would go about it by making the stock, reciever, grip, and foreward grip out of the 2 X 8" (or 2X10", whatever fits). One big, solid piece. Then I would add some PVC pipe for the barrel. Add some thinnner wood to thicken up the foreward grip and add on the extra parts, and you'll at least be real close. From there you should be able to tell what needs to be done.

Got a better picture of the gun by chance?
[/b][/quote]

Sure....same size but you can see more detail: http://www.yojoe.com/access/bg2/15.jpg

Here's another one- the character is holding the rifle on the card art:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83card/duke-var.jpg

I know it's crappy, but you can see more detail there....my plan is to build the stock and rifle, then add greeblies to it that actually do stuff- have some cool knobs from Radio Shack, etc. Can't wait to get the main body done so I can make all kinds of cool "laser rifle" things on it.

Thanks for the advice.

What Motman said. :lol

But really, he knows what he's talking about. Start by cutting a form for the centre of the rifle, and build it out from there. If it all becomes too much there's no shame in getting a good-sized toy rifle with some of the qualities you're looking for and building off of it. Sometimes it's even cheaper than a straight scratch-build. Think about your materials, and balance the weight versus the durability you're looking for (just carrying it, or laying a beating on some opponents?). Adding weight also adds to the realism of a piece as well. Ever see someone move a foam boulder and think to yourself "that's so fake"? We carry heavy things much differently than light ones... something to think about. It doesn't have to be lead-filled to be realistic either.

I have to admit I've wanted to do this for a long time, too. Just haven't gotten around to making a nice Cobra/ Joe outfit yet. :$ All those red, powder blue and white guns are another guilty pleasure, and they'll trigger memories at a mere glance from others.

Please feel free to post or PM any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the compliment, Gigatron. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back