Tips for fixing a warped bit of armor?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Tinman, Mar 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tinman

Tinman New Member

So it happened during Fiberglassing, the front half of my torso warped slightly, giving a slight curve. Has anyone found a way to fix this once its happened for has my torso been permanently screwed?

I had it set up and braced while it set but the brace fell out and it settled as the fiberglass got warm.

2. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Heat Gun + Gloves + Cool Water + Patience = Fixed Breast Plate

Good Luck!

3. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Thanks, but just a quick question to elaborate a bit more. So heat it up, push it to where I want and maybe spritz the cold water on the area to stiffen it quickly back into shape? Honestly thats so obvious im kinda kicking myself for not trying it. I was working out some kinda elaborate brace to hold it or something...

Thanks so much!

4. mdb

mdb Sr Member

It sometimes works sometimes doesn't. It really doesn't last long if you have matting or cloth and have used epoxy resin.

However it is worth trying especially if you can let it rest for a few days.

And yeah been there done that. Supports or item falls during the curing process. Had matting slump right off. It's great.

5. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Thats what I was afraid of, it does have the cloth set up in it. I warmed it up nicely and re-braced it and then set in a cool airflow to set up again overnight while im here at work. Fingers crossed ill have a nice straight breastplate when I get home in the morning.

6. Killtime

Killtime Active Member

How did this turn out for you? I have found the heat gun method works fine but I have also just cut through the problem area, heated and bent small area's flat and then rejoined/resin the cut part back together. My masterchief helmet was recovered this way with only minor differences that were bondoed out.

7. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Youve gotta be careful with it, Ive pretty much ruined my breastplate from warping and curving. Im thinking I may have to trash it and re-build another one. Its got such a bad curve to it that constant heating and cooling has curled the entire shape a bit at a time, I didnt notice until I started Bondo'ing and I got nice sharp edges on one side, and flattened curves on the other. It can be done, just be careful and do small amounts i guess. Lesson Learned.

8. Killtime

Killtime Active Member

Yes it is something you can get good at over time. I've learned over the years to CONSTANTLY check for form the entire way through the early stages, nothing worse than finding out at the detail stage that you've mucked it up :)