Tinting Fiberglass

xdmray

Howdy.
Has anyone ever tinted fiberglass resin? Is it possible to add a paint (acrylic/oil/powder) to the resin before the activator and still harden like it is supposed to?
I thought it might be cool to have the fiberglass already tinted with your base color.

thanks for any help.
xd

Howdy.
Has anyone ever tinted fiberglass resin? Is it possible to add a paint (acrylic/oil/powder) to the resin before the activator and still harden like it is supposed to?
I thought it might be cool to have the fiberglass already tinted with your base color.

thanks for any help.
xd

Ah Well I have been messy at times and "accidentally" spilled or sprayed little bit of paint on the fiberglass mat it self and it actually retained everything in it.
Also dust and crap got stuck on it and got hardened with the resin.

I have heard of tinting liquids. Smooth-On makes them I'm pretty sure.
But its specially formulated for their own resins and may not work with other brands. IF you do experiment the resin's natural hardness properties may be altered or may not be strong
anymore, so use what's designed for the resin.
For powders, there is cold casting metallic powder specially mixed with resins. After casting you polish the surface and the metallic look will appear on your model.
I have also seen people spray into the mold either a primer or metallic paint then pour the resin liquid into the mold. the item comes out "prepainted"
Hope it helps.

thanks uratz! i forgot about cold casting. ill have to look into that. the pre spraying the mold sounds like a good idea too. :)
xd

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back