Time to foam my skin

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

4505marcel

HI guys those that have done it or others that maybe able to help, Im at the stage where I need to foam my skin and head. Ive brought the mix up expanding stuff, my torso only needs a touch in the shoulders and biceps/triceps and a little in the thighs, brobably only 12-20mm max just to stop the horrid creasing, now do I pour in a little at a time let it do its thing and then add a little more untill its where it needs to be? Or do you have to put in what we think and shave it after?

Also I got this message back from mouldlife where I got the foam from-

Probably, M3 but pack it slightly harder than normal. I would wipe with solvents and maybe flock if you can as you could get a more mechanical bond.

What do they mean by solvents for cleanng what shout I use?

They said pack it harder what on earth is this lol?

And they said flock also, which he said was fibres, but is that added to the foam or in the latex originally which I obciously cant do as the skins are done?

Also with the head is it a good idea to do a little at a time to stop it warping the head?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to get this right

Marcel

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

leatherneck

When I re-foamed my mask I just held it upside down until the foam almost fully cured, which was pretty quick. Doing it that way allowed the foam to expand towards the neck and face area of the mask and not deform the crown or back of the mask. I also applied slight pressure in those areas with my hands just in case. After the foam fully cured I just plucked out what I didn't need in order for the mask to fit. I mixed up enough foam to fill the crown and back area of the mask. I didn't use small batches. I was worried that small batches may not adhere to the previous batch.

hez1

Well...The expanding foam isn't really ideal, but since you have it already, I'll throw my experience with foaming a mask with it. I poured it in small batches, and there's been no problem with it adhering to either itself, or the latex. Since he was talking about a more mechanical bond, I'd imagine the guy was referring to flocking the latex, but quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. You could give it a rub down with some solvent (rubbing alcohol, for instance) to clean it and make sure there's no dirt on it that could pull away from the latex easily.

A couple of notes...it sets up FAST. Once you mix it (I'm not including the 20 seconds that I actually stir/mix it for here), you have maybe 30 seconds before it expands to the point where you will no longer be able to slush it around. I would do small amounts, and use a sharp knife to trim away what you don't need. The foam is hard to cut though, your knife will need to be razor-like to get a smooth cut. It also dulls the edges fast.

Uratz

Is this the same foam that smooth on has as a A:B 1:1? I am also doing something similar but making entirely foamed skins like they do it in movie industries with their foamed latex.

ptgreek

Is this the same foam that smooth on has as a A:B 1:1? I am also doing something similar but making entirely foamed skins like they do it in movie industries with their foamed latex.

A 2 part 1:1 ratio foam and oven cured foam latex are very different from eachother Mike

Uratz

A 2 part 1:1 ratio foam and oven cured foam latex are very different from each other Mike

Yes I know they are different. I'd like to experiment in different thickness to see what the potential is for the foam.
There are also suppliers here that sell a different kind of foam used for mattresses and I got a batch that I'm gonna experiment with.
Maybe make some sort of muscle suit that can flex and can be coated with latex.