Time Circuit Display - Back To The Future

RicH85

Hello,

New member here, hopefully this is the right place for this as its more of a work in progress then a finished prop.

Many years ago I started toying with the idea of making my own Time Circuit Display, created a fully functional prototype about 4 years ago but some big life changes meant it went into storage and hasn't come out until recently. I'm now looking to resume work on it.

You can find some videos on my old youtube channel:

First test, two displays

Now with keypad in its box and test of the speed display

All 3 displays working and flux capacitor lights test

In its case

And here it is today:

dusty.jpg
Yup that's 4 years of dust, but it still works and even the clock chip had kept good time!

So what is the plan? Firstly I needed to create new circuits for the displays themselves, as the current ones have a lot going on and keep getting bad connections. Here is an image comparing the original display circuits with a brand new custom PCB:
new_displays.jpg
Big improvement! This is why the 'prototype' above now has a different Destination Time that's out of its casing, as its using the new circuit.

Next I need to create a new custom PCB for the main control board, as its also a mass of wires at the moment. Before I can do this I need to tinker with the circuit as there are some changes needed.

Then the tricky part, I have no way to create a nice casing for it. The original was very much a one-off and I lack the skills to produce something like that. Its needs a new one as the new displays are a slightly different size and also the current casing has an open back to it. Need to look at my options.

After the main unit is done, I want to create a replica flux capacitor that links to it (you can see my test of the lights in the last video)

Some info:

- Its smaller then the screen version, as I wanted this to be something you could have on display. Its around 20cm wide / 11cm tall
- The keypad is around the right size, as I could not find a smaller button pad
- The digital speedometer (seen in the videos) is also around the correct size. It displays room temperature (C) then counts up to 88 when the 'jump' button is pressed.
- All 3 displays are dynamic and can display any combination of date/time
- Dates/times are saved when the unit is powered off, so the same dates/times are displayed next time its powered back up
- The 'current time' has a proper clock chip behind it, so will keep counting up (even when powered off as it has a battery backup)
- Runs on 5v, drawing around 1/4 of an amp
- When I started this I just had very basic knowledge of circuit design (still do!)
- Parts cost is probably around £250 ($300?) in total, not including the case.
- Its running on 2 programmable PIC chips running my own code.

I'd like to know what you think, as I might produce a run of these if I can get hold of the parts (I'll create an interest thread when its all properly together).

Last edited by a moderator:
noting quite like a professionally made PCB to eliminate spaghetti wire!! :)

Great job!

I have always wanted to do this prop myself too!

I would LOVE to know more about your build. I’m about to start my time machine conversion to my delorean and this is the one thing I know I’m going to have hiccups with trying to get all the electronics to work.

Where did you get your keypad/box? I started this project a long time ago and got about as far before getting distracted, but never found good control components.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back