Tim Miller & David Fincher's Love Death and Robots

I've watched all of the episodes, and I have to admit, I enjoyed them. Honestly, I heard that the series originally started as a return of "Heavy Metal" (and considering the content and how they're presented, I wish it had because when I was watching it, it felt like "Heavy Metal". Even the switching between fantasy and sci-fi episodes felt like reading the actual magazine). But, I'm interested in what the next season will be like.

Didn't care for this series at all, on my end. With maybe the exception of three episodes, I think? Everything else is fairly trope-ish and cliched. I love animation and can respect the animation work involved, especially how fluid it all was in every episode, but barring a few episodes, all the stories were copies of copies of copies and despite being an anthology, much of the dialogue all sounded the same for the bulk of the series. Apparently being an "adult animation" just means saying **** and s**t a lot.

I'm bumping this thread because my love of animation keeps bringing me back to it. I want to see what more other people can do within the medium and, being given free reign on Netflix, what the outcomes are.

After three seasons of this show, it's still the same kind of stuff. The fallback is on gratuitous gore, violence, and gross-out humor with a smidge of condescension. I take nothing away from the animation, animating is hard, tedious work; but writing, editing, and direction are entirely different skill sets of their own that also need note. A lot of these shorts are from working animators and you can see where they really lack in other disciplines. Kill Team Kill was the first of these 10 minute shorts I had to skip 3 minutes in. It is embarrassingly juvenile and sophomoric; like if you asked a 13 year old what an "adult animation" would be, it would be this.

There's only two shorts in this season I would call "interesting" or even "okay," but I can't help but think if the result in all the shorts feeling the same is a consequence of people working in the animation business in the West, or if it isn't the culture built up in the business itself. I'd like to see what an animation team from the Middle-East, South America, or ever-reliable Japan would produce just given the theme of the show "love/death/robots" and 10-18 minutes to do whatever. It just seems that there is a huge discrepancy between what is considered "mature" and "adult."

I just watched the first season over the past week. I dont have alot of time to watch 2 hour movies so "shorts" are great for me. I liked alot of them. some of the animation is FANTASTIC! one of the best animated movies is RANGO, I watched that with my son and kept saying "wow" thru out the movie. looking forward to seeing what else is available on L.D.R. (y)

I just watched the first season over the past week. I dont have alot of time to watch 2 hour movies so "shorts" are great for me. I liked alot of them. some of the animation is FANTASTIC! one of the best animated movies is RANGO, I watched that with my son and kept saying "wow" thru out the movie. looking forward to seeing what else is available on L.D.R. (y)
Rango is one of the best animated films ever. It has beautiful backgrounds and creatures. I was doing a lot of wowing myself, ; )

Not seen S3 yet but I enjoyed cringed the Space Spider and the Captain one but the best for me was the Three robots with the Xbox 8000? On a site seeing trip into man's future and those Cats at the end..
The first Season felt like it was written by pubesant teenagers stuck in their rooms Reading Heavy Metal magazine, yes that's it... Its a sort of modern take of those movies that were more miss than hit, prolly for same reasons.

I thought Alberto Mielgo's Jibaro was absolutely astonishing. He also did The Witness from season 1, which was my favorite from that season.

He also collaborated on The Windshield Wiper, which won this year's Oscar for Best Animated Short - really remarkable stuff:

I thought Alberto Mielgo's Jibaro was absolutely astonishing. He also did The Witness from season 1, which was my favorite from that season.

He also collaborated on The Windshield Wiper, which won this year's Oscar for Best Animated Short - really remarkable stuff:

His short was interesting this year, I personally like this the most of what he's contributed to the series. I really like his artwork but his work as a director I'm not entirely sold on. There's just something that rings hollow about it to me.

I'm a big fan of his contemporary though, and the guy who I look forward to most to see if he has work out with Love/Death/Robots--Robert Valley. His short for the first season was by leagues my favorite in terms of style, pacing, and aesthetic; his short, Zima Blue, was pure old-school sci-fi. Ice was also pretty good. He also worked with Mielgo on Tron: Uprising with Valley doing character design and Mielgo backgrounds, and it created one of the best looking shows in ages--what a pity it met an ignoble end.

Valley's short, Pear Cider and Cigarettes, was also an Oscar contender and genuinely good. I recommend anyone to familiarize themselves with his work.

Jibaro felt kinda similar to The Witness to me, and I thought it was just me. I completely didn't realize it was from the same director.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back