TIE-Spotting. *First post updated*

Thanks Gene, more great pix. Jason , we gonna see more tie Decals? Would be good as steves doin his new tie wings soon. Ooh it's a good time for this hobby... One day someones gonna find a pretzel jammed in one of these models and were gonna have to find a vintage pretzel to complete the model. Maybe Mike can cast em up.

I need more coffee.

I can't believe people are still finding details on these things. Just when you thought you'd seen it all, more is found.

The box he had contained one hero wing, one damaged wing, the cockpit ball/arms, some detail parts - enough to put together one TIE. There was an extra hatch from the ANH era. That was used (repainted) to complete the Edlund TIE. The only left over part from the restoration was a (presumably) screen used top mount hatch that had (at some point) been re-plugged - I kept it as a souvenir. Gene
Thanks for the clarification Gene - wishful thinking on my part I guess! And fantastic picture posts! Especially the "rear pentagon" TIE.

So gentlemen, do you suppose the TIE with the red pentagon on the front upper left sphere is the same ship as the one with the pentagon in the back, lower left sphere?

Maybe the slight "bowing" on the upper right wing top edge (seen on the "rear pentagon" picture) will help to further ID it if more pictures surface . . . ?

P.S. - there may be some slight bowing on the upper left wing as well.

Last edited:
Hey Gene,Looks like your picture are flipped.The Kettenkrad part should be on the upper right (looking at it) of the cockpit ball,in yours it's left.

Thanks again for the great pictures.

Dave

Gene, awesome! This is exactly what this thread needed to get rolling again! Funny thing though, whats up with the clear orange gun tips in the first two pics!? Looks very wierd, almost as something else was used.

Cheers,
Steve

OK, this post is NOT going to help you one bit with any details on the TIE. But it is an interesting bit of trivia that I stumbled upon.

Architect Pierre Koenig (no relation, I'm presuming, to the commander of Moonbase Alpha) is well known amongst architectural geeks for his mid-century modern houses - you know, the ones with walls of glass that were built on tops of a lot of local L.A. hills. His Stahl house ( The Stahl House | Case Study House #22 ) is where the Tim Allen character in "Galaxy Quest" lives. (He also lived, literally, down the street from me when I lived in Brentwood.)

I was reading an article about one of his houses south of L.A. in a book and came across this page -

attachment.php

So there it is - another use for Koolshade. Not just for TIE Fighter wings. (Wonder if they have any scraps?)

Gene

That's an awful lot of Koolshade - imagine how many TIE wings you can make with that! Except, it does look white instead of black . . .

Nice architecture!

I have lot's of prop shots from the Star Wars BluRay Bonus Material posted here. Hope it's useful?

Jesse

web.jpg

thanks for the link jesse. i was hoping for more close up shots of the droids but cool non the less, if i could give some rep points i would ;)

-z

Ok time to revive this thread in the hope this is another discovery. I was looking through some of my original production pix yesterday. On one of the Polaroids I found another decal I hadn't seen before. It's on the right next to the hatch. Sorry for the bad pix. The polaroids aren't in great nick and I had to take this off the screen with my iPhone. I'll get a better one up on Monday. Anyone else see it or am I going mad.

newdecal.jpg

Last edited:
Could anyone please explain how accurate is the Code 3 Vader's TIE Fighter? What about its scale compared to a SS?

Could anyone please explain how accurate is the Code 3 Vader's TIE Fighter? What about its scale compared to a SS?

Its pretty small compared to the SS model bud. Was a while i saw one in the flesh, but i recall it being not much larger than the AMT model.

lee

Ok time to revive this thread in the hope this is another discovery. I was looking through some of my original production pix yesterday. On one of the Polaroids I found another decal I hadn't seen before. It's on the right next to the hatch. Sorry for the bad pix. The polaroids aren't in great nick and I had to take this off the screen with my iPhone. I'll get a better one up on Monday. Anyone else see it or am I going mad.

newdecal.jpg

I only see the detail below the hatch. :confused

I only see the detail below the hatch. :confused

Cool... So I'm not completely mad. I see a light area around that detail. But also markings. I have another almost identical pic which does not have the light area or markings so I'm torn between if it's a decal or not. It's buggin me.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back