TIE Interceptor solar panel material

joewhite

Sr Member
This was being thrown away at work due to renovations. Would someone be kid enough to help me identify whether this is ILM TIE Interceptor accurate. I hope so since I have been acquiring parts for an SS build. I appreciate your help!!!!

700.jpg

IMG678.jpg

Joe

I've just looked at my pics of the filming model and it seems like it is the same pattern that was used on Vader's TIE, being the indented pyramid.

Just my observations though.

Not sure about the size, I left it at work in a safe place. I'll have to measure later. Hmmm.....wasn't even aware of the PS-145. Then I guess now I hope it is accurate to Vader's TIE.

Joe

Julien,
Does the PS-145 produce the same little pointy ridges as the pic below?

I found a different piece of light diffuser material, it's flat, unlike the first pic above, and thinner. Maybe not .020" like the Plastruct stuff. I'll have to measure it and post pics but it looks close to the pic below in that the pointy ridges are present.

intwingmat.jpg

Joe

The material on the Vader TIE and Interceptor is not from plastruct. I got the item and it's not it. The prismatic diffuser seen on the interector is dished with spikes... stuff made nowadays the pattern is too loose... it isnt the same as vaders TIE either...... they are prysmatic Diamonds not dishes.. which I have found. The hunt is still on.. bet ive examined 300 differnt samples of materials... found stuff thats close but no cigar... using raised prismatic diamond pattern on our Interceptor kit... definately NOT accurate but once painted looks pretty darn good.

Steve

I always never did buy into the Plastruct sheet theory, way too shallow and not prismatic.
Ive looked into a few diffusers, nothing spot on yet though, hard size to nail down seeing as its OOP

Lee

Ohh yeah the diffuser stuff in the picture is the standard dished prysmatic and yes its the right shape but NOT scale... If i remember correctly it needs to be 7 squares per inch or something like that letme check and I'll report back.

Steve

Cool, I'll post a pic later tonight then of the stuff I found. I haven't touched the Plastruct stuff but I had a gut feeling that they wouldn't produce the spiky texture at HO scale. Both diffusers I possess have the spikes but the stuff I recently found is way thinner.

Joe

Make sure you check the squares per inch count.... kinda like 17 louvered koolshade verses 21.... it's all in the details!

On the DV TIE im sure its around 4mm or so per prism, was a while back i tried to measure it though.
Think i used J's pics, and scaled it up to the Panther G leading edge part.

Lee

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back