Tie Fighter (CG model)

bigpetr

Hello,

I am working on CG model of Tie Fighter. I would like to have it as close as possible to ANH SS model but with cockpit interior as seen in the moovie.I will share finished 3d model. I am modeling it in 3d to solve proportion and details firs. It will be my blueprint to physical model build by using scratch building and 3d printing technique.

Here are some WIP. I am in the state of finding main dimensions and testing them against reference:

ext1.jpgss2.jpgss4.jpgint1.jpg

Here is comparison with reference photos of original models:
ss1.jpgcomp4.jpgcomp3.jpgcomp2.jpgcomp1.jpgcanopy frame testfit3.jpg

I model kitbashed parts for Tie using only donor kit photos (with scale reference), because unfortunately I have no access to real donor kits:(. So dimensions are only best guess based on the qualify of this photos. So If some donor kit owner is willing to take measurements or/and detailed photos with reference scale of any part I will be wery gratefull.
ss3.jpg

Please feel free to comment everything that catch your eyes. Cryticism is welcome:).

Attachments

• bandaicomp.jpg
    bandaicomp.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 467
Love it, I appreciate the "fiddling" trying to get the proportions right and looks stunning so far. I presume it's studio scale or?. What software are you building with?

Thank you guys.

It is studio scale surface model build in Rhinoceros. Comparison and photo matching done in Sketchup.

The attached photo is comparison with Bandai kit. Their arms are longer. Do somebody know why is that or on what model is it based on? Or is it mistake?

Now I am steping into uncharted territory - areas that reference known to me doesnt cover. I am trying to solve it so it doesnt contradict bigscreen and reference photos. Placement of targeting screen is nothing new. Every Tie cockpit model places it there - Rogue One Tie and Rebels Tie has it there also :)

int5.jpg

Comparison images:
int6.jpg
int7.jpg

I changed some controls. I need to solve problem with bigger lcd panel somehow (is visible in over the shoulder view image). Pilot is not able to see it, it is obscured by flight control.
int8.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back