Thundercats Sword/Dagger of Omens

fabrik

So after my Multi-pass I thought i'd go for something a bit more complex. It's my own take on a classic (in my opinion). Can you tell what it is yet?

IMG_20131001_154720_253.jpg

I've not used all of the bits in this image but I will get round to getting the 2 specific versions done... probably.

IMG_20131023_172722_035.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New laser project... Can you tell what it is yet?

my first thought was thunder cats sword of omens judging by the shapes

Hmmmm too easy methinks!

Here's a a look at my working image. You can see I've made some small tweaks to the design. Most notably the "square" bit at the top of the handle which has been "prettyfied" (in my opinion) and I've extended the blade guard above the Eye a little to sturdy up the design.

Sword_of_omens_final.jpg

Let me know what you all think of the re-design.

I'm actually a fair way into this project and have been meaning to post for some weeks so I'll get some more images up during the course of the next day or so.

But for now here's my test piece...

IMG_20131001_172223_204.jpg

... It was, as you can see, a touch on the small side.

Another update...

IMG_20131023_181618_421.jpg

... So I re-cut everything a shade bigger and glued it all together.

I've planned it out so the centre section of the dagger will remain the same but the handle, hand guards and blade can all be interchanged with the sword version really easily. Each of those elements will be made with a tab which can slot into the body of the dagger.

I've also made a mould of the hand guard so sanding and filling can be minimised. Incidentally seeing as I had the shapes already "inside the computer" I laser cut an outline to use as the flat bit of my mould. Made it super neat... Well maybe not super Volpin neat but pretty neat.

IMG_20131202_164106_099.jpg IMG_20131203_104059_818.jpg

Cutting the blade is next and then a whole bunch of sanding and filling...

Here's a grab of the blade in place; I didn't get any shots before I started sanding but it's 3 sheets of acrylic sandwiched (mmmmm sandwich) together, the central section extends into the Eye surround like a tang.

IMG_20131204_120410_864.jpg

I've also started on the handle.

IMG_20131204_161345_296.jpg IMG_20131205_155248_906.jpg

Used a place holder to gauge for sizing then cut a template to pass to my buddy who's kindly offered to turn it for me.

IMG_20131205_131001_471.jpg

Which has turned out pretty nicely. Lots of clean up needed on the turned bits as offcuts were used so the quality was a bit meh. Nothing a bit of sanding wont fix.

IMG_20131210_115252_646.jpg

Oh and it was a bit long...

Anyhow here's a bunch of shots showing where I'm at up to now:

IMG_20131210_115302_601.jpg IMG_20131210_115310_869.jpg IMG_20131210_115315_406.jpg

Oh and before I dash off for my tea here's a lesson learned for all of you lovely folks:

IMG_20131114_174335_378.jpg

Laser cut leather looks cool but smells WORSE THAN THE WORSE THING EVER! Seriously, imagine the smell you get when you have a filling. That's right, like burning calcium, well it smells a BAJILLION times worse than that. I was nearly sick...

... Looks cool though.

Okay so time for some handle updates. I've been getting into work early the past week and doing a round of sanding and filling before I start so my handle is looking a mite smoother (still not perfect though). This is cool but boring, however, I've gotten some of the detail on the handle which is less boring.

IMG_20131218_084340.jpg IMG_20131218_084312.jpg

After some natty math/planning/making mistakes and trying again I cut some 1mm "fun foam" into the pattern and glued it to the last section of handle and the pomel. If i decide to make this a full sword I'll just cast and mould this bottom section and repeat it to create the "full" handle.

IMG_20131218_095756.jpg IMG_20131218_155827.jpg

I sealed this with a milli-put solution and continued my filling and sanding mission...

IMG_20131218_162212.jpg

... I'm actually pretty happy with the way this is going. I just with there was some sort of sanding elf that could come in to my studio during the night and make my messy work all shiney and smooth.

Thanks for looking and as ever crits are welcomed... and Merry Christmas. :D

Hi all, I'm in need of a bit of help:

I'm trying to find a lens for the "eye" and I've managed to unearth these beauties (Aspherical Torch Lenses ~ Collimator Flashlight Lens) but I'm a few mm out. My options are either the 50mm or the 59mm for a 55mm space.

Could any of you fine folk suggest any alternatives beyond resizing my dagger (I'm too far into filling and sanding to turn back now!)

On that note, my filling and sand progress has reached a point of diminishing returns and I'm getting heartily chuffed off with it all. I'll pop some pics up later this week but I'm getting hella close to chucking it into some rubber.

Thanks for looking and any help/suggestions you can proffer.

Sorry to bump, I'll only do it once.

I could really do with some advice on the lens if anyone has any tips.

Don't apologize for bumping ;)
The once every 24 hour rule only applies in the junk yard. In the other forums it is encouraged to bump and discuss as much as you want.

Wow. Thanks guys. I'm planning on moulding it so I don't see a run being out of the question. We'll have to see how the final piece turns out.

I'm still struggling to source a lens for the eye though. I've post a link to the ones I've managed to find but they're a bit off size wise. I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone can offer.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back