Thunderbird Sidewinder scratch build

Muzza

Sr Member
This vehicle always intrigued me on how it would work in the real world if not held up with puppet strings.
Out of all the Thunderbird models available this one is very hard to find and even harder in a large scale, so I am going to give it a crack.

Sidewinder.jpg

Yes. I think the arms were stacked paper or cake tins. Is this going to be studio scale??

Do I see some Dapol bridge parts there on the table :D :D

Last edited:
Yes. I think the arms were stacked paper or cake tins. Is this going to be studio scale??

Do I see some Dapol bridge parts there on the table :D :D
I will not be building it studio scale as I would guess it would be huge I think 400mm wide and 2m long.
I am working on another project with the bridge parts.

Adding the round window holes along the side of the vehicle.
I used some 6mm / 1/4" rivets for the holes.
Plus I made the side gun in placements with the three windows installed.

IMG_7575.jpgIMG_7577.jpgIMG_7593.jpgIMG_7596.jpg

The rivets are clever and effective. Interested in how you are going to do the arms. I'd thought about thimbles or maybe even dolls house plant pots depending on scale.

The rivets are clever and effective. Interested in how you are going to do the arms. I'd thought about thimbles or maybe even dolls house plant pots depending on scale.

I was thinking of 3D printing the arms. The legs are another story.

Made the rear fins out of Foam board, cut and shaped with a sander
02D0C825-80A6-4A12-B76F-9AA637738A44.JPG
Made a mould box so I can get two resin ones.
IMG_7680.JPG
Mould made from urethane rubber.
IMG_7799.jpg

Making the rear Atomic Engine vents I first mad a mould using the foam board, it is easy to glue and carve onto shape.
IMG_7727.jpg
Using my Vacuum former I was able to make two vents.
IMG_7726.jpgIMG_7768.jpg
I trimmed them and filled the inside of the vent with more foam board to give it a large area to stick to the model. I set back some mesh at the intake of the vent and painted ans dry brushed it before gluing to the model.
IMG_7770.jpgIMG_7767.jpgIMG_7773.jpg

Making the leg of the Sidewinder machined aluminium out of Hex bar fitter with a fiber glass rod.
As I am casing all the legs this one is the pattern for the mold. the fiber glass rod will give the model stability when mounted as I will have the rod pass through the foot and glue it into the base.

foot.jpgleg.jpg

The metal eyelets are a great idea. I will have to keep that in mind for a future project. Thank you for sharing your model building tip.

Another piece of the puzzle has come together, I have had a good friend of mine draw up these window frames so I could print them.
I tried a few sizes to get the right scale and I think I have it close to the original. all I need to do is clean them up and glue them down.

Side windows.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back